ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL DNJ.com Stock disappointed but not discouraged about 2019

BlueAlpha

Blue Raider Fan
Aug 24, 2015
There is an article in today’s DNJ but it’s behind their paywall. If by chance anyone on here subscribes, would you mind providing a brief summary for us please? Thanks

I don't have a pay subscription, but as a longtime fan, I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. He's not discouraged because we had a lot of injuries last year, but he was proud of the way we competed our tails off. There's definitely things we need to improve on, but he saw a lot of encouraging things as well. We've got a lot of potential next year, and there's going to be a lot of competition this spring and fall.

Someone with a pay subscription let me know how well I did.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
I don't have a pay subscription, but as a longtime fan, I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. He's not discouraged because we had a lot of injuries last year, but he was proud of the way we competed our tails off. There's definitely things we need to improve on, but he saw a lot of encouraging things as well. We've got a lot of potential next year, and there's going to be a lot of competition this spring and fall.

Someone with a pay subscription let me know how well I did.
Well done, pretty sure you nailed it!

Reactions: Blue_H
excerpt:

"We lost three games by a total of 11 points and three games to Power Five teams with two who will finish in the Top 25," Stockstill said. "You look at that and then we had to replace the most productive player in the history of this school in (his son, quarterback) Brent Stockstill as well as all five offensive linemen. There were going to be some growing pains because of that.

"You throw all that in there as well as 31 scholarship players out with injury by the ninth game of the year. That was a big reason why our season went the way it did."

there were some other stuff you might expect in such an article:

CRS is now 62 years old, but has no intentions of retiring anytime soon. Wants to keep coaching AS LONG AS possible. Sees no reason why his team can't find its way back to the top of the conference.

Buyout is still 6.6 million, and contract runs through the end of 2027

Massaro was disappointed in how the season ended but never considered ANY staff changes during or after the season. Said the program is still in good shape and "we were a good program at times" last season.

key Massaro quote:

"I think we were a decent football team, not sure if we were a championship team but we were decent and then injuries started to take their toll. I think the program is in great shape but we have to do things internally to make it better."

Nothing but excuses. Extremely disappointing to see how low the expectations have fallen for this Football program. WKU pulled the trigger on a guy after just two years. Then again, they have high expectations for their brand and their product.

I will probably take in the Va. Tech game since Memphis has an open date. Fuente will stomp on the gas. He still hasn’t forgotten or forgiven the late hit on his freshman QB, Paxton Lynch in 2013 in front of the MT bench.

That’s about it.

We better win a championship this year. It's ripe for the taking, and we return a lot of experience and should be getting an infusion from some younger talent.

"Program is in great shape?" What?! Are you & #<$@ kidding me? What a disgrace!

I'm sick of seeing vast amounts of empty seats for MT football, and now Beavis and Butt-Head are seeing to it that the basketball program matches football in large % of empty seats for each home game.

Before I risk severely over reacting, please tell me the context of that quote was something to the effect of, overall academically the program is in great shape.

No changes. There are positions that have exponentially regressed over the past few years, but no problems folks. All is well. These guys would make Baghdad Bob envious (look it up for you younger ones).

Why should any of us care anymore? It’s obvious there is no championship culture or desires with leadership so why should we fork over anything for this? Franklin hit it on the head it’s downright depressing how there is complete acceptance of a zero-expectation culture. See y’all in 2028.

Masarro's response is treasonous. Is he actively trying to destroy our program along with Mcphee? I beginning to believe they have been put in their positions to "keep us in our place". No sane person would think or say our program is in great shape. We absolutely do have the worst president/AD combo in America. We cant fire McPhee. Mcphee wont fire Masarro and Masarro wont fire Stockstill or even make him make some changes.

Masarro's response is treasonous. Is he actively trying to destroy our program along with Mcphee? I beginning to believe they have been put in their positions to "keep us in our place". No sane person would think or say our program is in great shape.
Yes.

Massaro can't really say the football program stinks because the follow up question would be, why don't you fire Stockstill?

If Massaro says anything other than everything is great, then Dr 7-Wood will likely fire him. Maybe not, but he fired Boots over McCollum.

Hypothetical: CRS volunteers to step down on one condition.........Brent takes over HC for the balance of the contract. Do you take it? I would. What do we have to lose?

Hypothetical: CRS volunteers to step down on one condition.........Brent takes over HC for the balance of the contract. Do you take it? I would. What do we have to lose?
No.
Because I’m sure we would just roll Brent into the same terrible contract.

Last edited:
Masarro's response is treasonous. Is he actively trying to destroy our program along with Mcphee? I beginning to believe they have been put in their positions to "keep us in our place". No sane person would think or say our program is in great shape. We absolutely do have the worst president/AD combo in America. We cant fire McPhee. Mcphee wont fire Masarro and Masarro wont fire Stockstill or even make him make some changes.

I have long suspected but lacked evidence to really say much about it. Early in McPhee's tenure I began to question if he was selected and put in place to do exactly what you are suggesting. If I'm not mistaken, McPhee came from the TBR when he took over at MT. If so, he knew them and they knew him. It was my speculation that the selection matched the TBR and state stance on putting the brakes on the progress Pres Walker was making.

I have long suspected but lacked evidence to really say much about it. Early in McPhee's tenure I began to question if he was selected and put in place to do exactly what you are suggesting. If I'm not mistaken, McPhee came from the TBR when he took over at MT. If so, he knew them and they knew him. It was my speculation that the selection matched the TBR and state stance on putting the brakes on the progress Pres Walker was making.

That has to be it. They can’t be as incompetent as them seem.

This recent garbage the leadership is trying to sell is really too much. No wonder nothing is getting fixed. The leadership doesn't even see a problem.

If the state of the football program wasn't bad enough, Massaro and McPhee have been seeing to it that the basketball program is in the same sorry state as football.

Remember folks, Kermit was Boots' selection.

Wasn't Massaro looking for another job several years ago? Georgia State, maybe?

Perhaps he was trying to get away from McPhee

This ridiculous messaging from the Athletic Department is the final straw for me. What am I doing here? Why am I trying to be a fan of a program that apparently doesn't even really care about winning?

What am I doing as a fan here when the leadership of the program could care less what I or most other fans think?

In my opinion, there is little if any indication that any in leadership over there care about righting the ship when the losses have become consistently embarrassing. I see no real signs from leadership of any real calls or demands for serious improvements in either football or basketball.

I'm not going to be a party to this disgraceful acceptance of losing. I'm done. I'm not giving anymore of my time, effort, or energy to this athletic dept and university under McPhee's or Massaro's direction.

Perhaps if there are ever any changes in culture and leadership over there on campus then I might start to invest my time, energy, and efforts in cheering for and being a fan of MT.

When we were in the Sun Belt, I remember looking at programs like La-Monroe, Idaho, New Mexico St., etc and thinking we were lucky to be fans of a program that actually cared. I don't feel lucky anymore. Sometimes I wonder if we should follow the Idaho plan and drop to FCS, but that isn't the answer. This trio of "leaders" would screw that up too.

I would say "See you in 2028" but I don't think the program will make it to 28 if the three-headed monster doesn't do the decent thing and retire.

This ridiculous messaging from the Athletic Department is the final straw for me. What am I doing here? Why am I trying to be a fan of a program that apparently doesn't even really care about winning?

What am I doing as a fan here when the leadership of the program could care less what I or most other fans think?

In my opinion, there is little if any indication that any in leadership over there care about righting the ship when the losses have become consistently embarrassing. I see no real signs from leadership of any real calls or demands for serious improvements in either football or basketball.

I'm not going to be a party to this disgraceful acceptance of losing. I'm done. I'm not giving anymore of my time, effort, or energy to this athletic dept and university under McPhee's or Massaro's direction.

Perhaps if there are ever any changes in culture and leadership over there on campus then I might start to invest my time, energy, and efforts in cheering for and being a fan of MT.

Yep. I mean what else is there to do. I give up. I’m taking the Boots approach. As long as McPhee is here I will be somewhere else.

Yep. I mean what else is there to do. I give up. I’m taking the Boots approach. As long as McPhee is here I will be somewhere else.

When you are an alum and fan of MT, you are signed on for some losses or rough stretches as is the case with most schools. I get that, but when it starts becoming clear that the so called leadership has set in place a culture of no real effort, lackadaisical, blasé acceptance of losing without even trying or seeming to care that much at all then don't count on me to hang around trying to promote your program and teams.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Where is the accountability?

Who the HELL is McPhee's boss and allows him to continue on?

Our football program is literally dead. No longer on life support. Actually dead.

Basketball program was flying high, cruising at 35,000 feet just 2 years ago with a destination for the top of the mountain..... It is now in a complete nose dive at 2,000 feet with the ground alarms blaring and everyone bracing for death.

Meanwhile, the AD is on record as saying the football program is in great shape, and isn't even showing up for basketball games at this point against our fiercest rival.

WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THIS UNIVERSITY AND HOW IS IT ALLOWED TO CONTINUE ON???????????

Where is the accountability?

Who the HELL is McPhee's boss and allows him to continue on?

Our football program is literally dead. No longer on life support. Actually dead.

Basketball program was flying high, cruising at 35,000 feet just 2 years ago with a destination for the top of the mountain..... It is now in a complete nose dive at 2,000 feet with the ground alarms blaring and everyone bracing for death.

Meanwhile, the AD is on record as saying the football program is in great shape, and isn't even showing up for basketball games at this point against our fiercest rival.

WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THIS UNIVERSITY AND HOW IS IT ALLOWED TO CONTINUE ON???????????

Look no further than the new board of directors or whatever they call it. As far as I can tell, there biggest move was to give McPhee a new fat contract with a nice big raise.

The concept of having a board overseeing MT is better than the old system of the TBR that held back the university. That is if the board members are any thing more than a rubber stamp for a Univ president that is still on a mission for the TBR.

I hold myself responsible for failing to get over to the board meetings and vocally advocating for some improvements and accountability. I have no idea if they are hearing from anybody other than the administration that, it appears to me, is reporting to the board that the program is in great shape.

Wiley. Yep. Those are key questions.

But here’s the thing about what plodding along in mediocrity has done - which is a virtue of the leadership’s lackadaisical approach. It’s run the fan base off without most of the emotional fire that accompanies situations like this. Instead of the fan base demanding the change that’s needed in a situation where people are vocal in these downturns our fan base has just kind of been lulled to sleep to the point no one cares anymore. And you know most leaders would look at how many people are attending (or should I say not attending) and have enough pride about their responsibility to the alumni and fans to be unwilling to accept that. And those fans that don’t it’s because they just don’t give two bits anymore because the leadership doesn’t have that personal pride. That’s certainly where I am. I was once very much active in support our school, our programs, promoting it every chance I could (both academically and athletically) and trying to be part of a solution that thought about our university’s future and one of the ways I did that (not the only way) was leading the charge for the name change, which I obviously failed at.

And at this point I don’t even care enough anymore. There are two possible solutions. One would be a petition signed by thousands of us minions who comprise what’s left of MT fans sent to the Board copied to all the news outlets. That would get their attention, but I quite honestly don’t care enough to even give up my time to engage and support it. I’m over it. I’m done.

The second would be what few big donors we have writing a joint letter to the board demanding the change we all seek or they move money elsewhere but I fear a lot of them don’t care as much about winning as they do their fiefdoms, access, and false sense of control. But even if they would be willing to do it there would need to be someone with clout to corral them into the movement. Again, just so unlikely to happen so we will stay stuck in this quagmire I predicted a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
That is about the size of it.

One of the main factors that has driven me to say enough is enough is the seeming lack of disgust, embarrassment, or urgency in empty seats and generally non-competitive performance game after game.

A prime example of all this has been getting blown out of most games in the first 10 minutes of most games that just continues on and on. At some point, you would at least expect to see some improvements to those areas causing you to get blown out. If not, where is the leadership to proclaim this is NOT acceptable Blue Raider ball? Combine that with the football program is in great shape and it's plain to see that this is the resultant culture of the ongoing leadership.

I’ve just reached the point to say screw it. Drop football and move to Division II. If we are going to run our university and athletic dept like a cheap run of the mill lower division school - which apparently most everyone running the place, most of the community and hell even a good portion of our base seems to be completely in line with then just pull the plug. We clearly have DII talent at the leadership levels so might as well go all in if everyone is just going to accept this. We don’t need a $30 million budget for the type mindset and culture that this university espouses.

I would argue that for most of us, and especially those of us who grew up in the midstate, Boots is still the most recognizable name associated with the athletic dept, and honestly, for the university as a whole. The fact that he doesn't even care enough to be seen on gamedays speaks volumes. And if he doesn't care, why should we? And judging by the attendance from the game Saturday, this fan base doesn't care anymore.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Why should the general sports fans care, the so called leadership of MT athletics and the Univ don't seem to care all that much?

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Why should the general sports fans care, the so called leadership of MT athletics and the Univ don't seem to care all that much?
Maybe... and i'm just throwing it out there... McPhee is going to get rid of MT football and it will be replaced with TSU football...

there were some other stuff you might expect in such an article:

CRS is now 62 years old, but has no intentions of retiring anytime soon. Wants to keep coaching AS LONG AS possible. Sees no reason why his team can't find its way back to the top of the conference.

Buyout is still 6.6 million, and contract runs through the end of 2027

Massaro was disappointed in how the season ended but never considered ANY staff changes during or after the season. Said the program is still in good shape and "we were a good program at times" last season.

key Massaro quote:

"I think we were a decent football team, not sure if we were a championship team but we were decent and then injuries started to take their toll. I think the program is in great shape but we have to do things internally to make it better."

Wish he had specified what internal things he was referring to in order to make the program better. He's obviously not going to say the program is in bad shape. But there's no question that if you had told Massaro back in 2009 on the day that we won the New Orleans Bowl, that in 2020 we would be drawing substantially less fans on average to Floyd Stadium, would have zero conference titles, and just one other bowl win, he would have not accepted those proposed results as good.

ADVERTISEMENT