ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL DNJ Article About Attendance

rcodeman

True Blue
Feb 4, 2005
Anyone subscribe anymore? The Headline said that we didn't draw more than 8k for other than Duke or TSU last year.

https://www.dnj.com/blue-raiders/

It's on the front page of this section. I wish they would put some heat on athletic dept, but they won't.

Anyone subscribe anymore? The Headline said that we didn't draw more than 8k for other than Duke or TSU last year.

It's on the front page of this section. I wish they would put some heat on athletic dept, but they won't.
I do not neither. The DNJ did an open records request for the 2018 season too. That was the year we were conference co-champs. IIRC, we failed to exceed 10,000 actual scanned tickets for any game that season. I thought someone posted parts of an interview with CM awhile back, where he claimed the football program was in great shape. Something to that affect. Simply delusional.

excerpt from today's dnj article:

...Along with the team struggling late in the season, Massaro attributed poor weather as another reason why attendance for the October and November games was considerably down from the two in September.

"We really had horrendous weather for most of our home games last season," Massaro said. "Historically the Marshall game sells well but it was a 100-degree day so it was unbearably hot inside of the stadium. Our next home game was homecoming against FIU and generally, you have a good crowd for that but that week we had the worst forecast we could have especially on game day.

"Our last two games were November games so they were cold and misty. After those first two games in September, we didn't hit the jackpot with good weather so that was one factor that I think played into the lower attendance numbers later in the year."

I do not neither. The DNJ did an open records request for the 2018 season too. That was the year we were conference co-champs. IIRC, we failed to exceed 10,000 actual scanned tickets for any game that season. I thought someone posted parts of an interview with CM awhile back, where he claimed the football program was in great shape. Something to that affect. Simply delusional.

in this thread

really weird numbers reported for tickets sold vs scanned for rice and odu games...

Rice, 24,119 (7,711)

Old Dominion, 16,780 (3,561)
That has to be tickets distributed. One game last year I received extra tickets due to buying NOLA Bowl tixs the year before. Pretty sure I also received extra tixs for another game, requesting I bring someone additional with me to the game. Can’t be any way we $old 24,000 tixs to Rice.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
That has to be tickets distributed. One game last year I received extra tickets due to buying NOLA Bowl tixs the year before. Pretty sure I also received extra tixs for another game, requesting I bring someone additional with me to the game. Can’t be any way we $old 24,000 tixs to Rice.

I do remember receiving extra tickets in the mail...

I would love to see an audit and what would be revealed

excerpt from today's dnj article:

...Along with the team struggling late in the season, Massaro attributed poor weather as another reason why attendance for the October and November games was considerably down from the two in September.

"We really had horrendous weather for most of our home games last season," Massaro said. "Historically the Marshall game sells well but it was a 100-degree day so it was unbearably hot inside of the stadium. Our next home game was homecoming against FIU and generally, you have a good crowd for that but that week we had the worst forecast we could have especially on game day.

"Our last two games were November games so they were cold and misty. After those first two games in September, we didn't hit the jackpot with good weather so that was one factor that I think played into the lower attendance numbers later in the year."

He is delusional. Blaming everyone & everything without accepting any fault is a key trait of a narcissist.

We may not have the money to buyout CRS or CNM’s contract, but maybe we have enough to hire a mental health counselor for the president and AD.

Just more evidence of why I’m not coming back. I know I’m not the only one, but as I have said before when the die hards start jumping ship and no one gives a damn then it’s clear I signed up to support the wrong group.

All CMs statement does for me is validate my decision to cut ties. I hope I get to come back sooner rather than later but by the looks of things my exile will be longer than I would prefer.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Just more evidence of why I’m not coming back. I know I’m not the only one, but as I have said before when the die hards start jumping ship and no one gives a damn then it’s clear I signed up to support the wrong group.

All CMs statement does for me is validate my decision to cut ties. I hope I get to come back sooner rather than later but by the looks of things my exile will be longer than I would prefer.
So the solution to our money problems is for donors to stop donating?

Every time I run across those words from Massaro asserting the program is in great shape, it makes me wanna puke.

That disconnect speaks to the culture of MT athletics facilitated from the so called leader of the athletics dept. His statement in the face of continuing horrible attendance is indefensible in my opinion.

How can the university leadership expect anyone else to care enough to attend games and invest in MT athletics when the leadership of athletics doesn't even seem to care?

Our money problems are a result of ineffective and frankly derelict leadership. Continuing to throw good money after bad is most certainly not the solution. Not for me at least. This is the only voice we have, because the university damn sure doesn’t listen to any of us.

Every time I run across those words from Massaro asserting the program is in great shape, it makes me wanna puke.

That disconnect speaks to the culture of MT athletics facilitated from the so called leader of the athletics dept. His statement in the face of continuing horrible attendance is indefensible in my opinion.

How can the university leadership expect anyone else to care enough to attend games and invest in MT athletics when the leadership of athletics doesn't even seem to care?

Yep. Pretty much exactly what I’ve been saying as well.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315

Feel free to throw your money away but don't blame others when they don't want to prop up Masarro and Stockstills's geriatric staff until they reach retirement. Why would anyone want to continue to subsidize the ineptitude of this athletic department and president? If their ever is a positive change in the athletic department Im sure donors will return myself included.

Yes, that is exactly what other universities do.

Most ADs notice dropping attendance and donations as a sign something is wrong, and changes are needed. Our AD is apparently the opposite of most competent ADs.

The BRAA called me yesterday and asked me to rejoin. I missed the call & it went to voicemail. When they call back, I will tell them I plan to donate the day Massaro is fired.

All you can do is don't donate and when they call tell them why. I thought blindly throwing money in was a good idea, but then when I proposed numerous ideas or changes nobody would even take the time to look at them and say we could use that. I worked on the BRAA board, and suggested these things. Most of these things were carbon copies of what other programs or teams did. I wasn't asking them to exactly reinvent the wheel, but I say things like why don't we do this, after all it costs no money...

Its simple. They don't care enough to change or do anything other than what they've always done why should I care to give them money to continue their endless cycle of mediocrity and false promises. We actually have a choice here to give them money. I simply voice my displeasure and then move on. It's much easier than to commit and invest into something where you have no control and you see no progress being made.

Circles back to everyone's comments. The whole department is stale, stagnant, and broken. We had a chance to strike when the iron was hot years ago, and did not. Now we are as bad of shape as we were in when we were Sunbelt Members.

Most ADs notice dropping attendance and donations as a sign something is wrong, and changes are needed. Our AD is apparently the opposite of most competent ADs.
If Massaro goes against McPhee then he will be fired - like Boots.

As long as the APR is high then McPhee is happy and if McPhee is happy no other opinion matters. Actions speak louder than words.

If Massaro goes against McPhee then he will be fired - like Boots.

As long as the APR is high then McPhee is happy and if McPhee is happy no other opinion matters. Actions speak louder than words.

I still just don’t understand. I’m at a complete loss. How anyone on our new board could look at things and say hey you know what things are going so well we should give the president a raise and another five years on his contract. I mean what the holy f***.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I still just don’t understand. I’m at a complete loss. How anyone on our new board could look at things and say hey you know what things are going so well we should give the president a raise and another five years on his contract. I mean what the holy f***.
I figure the MT board has a directive from the state (McPhee may too) and if it isn't followed then they will be replaced.

I don't donate to prop up Massaro, McPhee, or Stock. I like Stock, but I think a change is needed. Not donating is not changing anything, so if my donating even helps the players a little bit I will continue. I can get the exact same satisfaction or dissatisfaction without donating. I do not donate for me.

To me, one of the biggest failures from the Athletic Department has been the deafening silence while athletics have languished in mediocrity or even something worse. There has been next to no communication with the general fan community about the direction of athletics. Then when there is a little communication, it is to say everything is great! In my opinion, it is a fundamental lack of respect for us fans/alums.

I wouldn't be too hard on the "new" Board of Trustees. They are just getting acclimated to the job and have to play politics as does McPhee (and we know how poorly McPhee does in that area and we can assume why he doesn't rock the boat).
The committee with athletic responsibility is responsible for Academic Affairs and Student Life along with Athletics. I assume all of the members of the board are aware to some extent of MT's athletic struggles and challenges (and I hope some are True Blue fans and donors) but one has to think that athletics is down the list of the board's collective priorities.

Until there is a administrative change, I'll let Phil Collins speak for me:

I won't be there anymore
Get out of my way
Let me by
I got better things to do with my time
I don't care anymore, I don't…

I asked Joe on Twitter if he was going to ask difficult questions. He said he plans on a state of the program article in the next few months.

A major issue is we get this young guys in for a year or 2 that are just passing through for a bigger job. No one develops roots anymore or asks difficult questions. I think most don’t want to burn bridges in the year or 2 they are here.

I wouldn't be too hard on the "new" Board of Trustees. They are just getting acclimated to the job and have to play politics as does McPhee (and we know how poorly McPhee does in that area and we can assume why he doesn't rock the boat).
The committee with athletic responsibility is responsible for Academic Affairs and Student Life along with Athletics. I assume all of the members of the board are aware to some extent of MT's athletic struggles and challenges (and I hope some are True Blue fans and donors) but one has to think that athletics is down the list of the board's collective priorities.

”The committee with athletic responsibility is responsible for Academic Affairs and Student Life along with Athletics.“.
It was posted in an earlier thread that they will meet early next month. I’m gonna try to attend.
The first year the Stadium Club opened, I had outdoor seats next to one of the BOT / Committee members and we had a short discussion about the attendance. We both felt like Bob Uecker sitting up there alone.

Last edited:
I disagree. The Univ. of Memphis President and AD hurriedly tossed an IPF request to the TBOR a year before their “new” BOT was installed and the proposal was immediately rejected for lack of donations (only $600,000) to support the $20MM request. Of course Dick Tracey and the TBOR has to turn it down and rightfully so.
Then, a big donor (and former Tiger Basketball player) plunked down $10MM but restricted it to a new BB practice facility. So, the basketball facility was built first and they even moved unrestricted “Time To Shine Capital Campaign” funds to the BB project. Many former football players (me included) who donated, thinking we were giving to the Football IPF were not happy and publicly voiced our displeasure. It’s been an additional three year wait since then but the new Memphis BOT did an end run around the TBOR rejection and borrowed $10MM from the TN State School Bond Authority and guaranteed it with funds in the University Foundation Account. They are still looking for additional funds but the IPF will be finished by the end of the year.

The major difference between Memphis and MTSU has been the amazing turnaround and success of the Memphis Football program since 2014 under Fuente and then Norvell. Season tickets and attendance are at program highs finishing 2019 as AAC Champions by beating Cincinnati not once but twice and earning a Cotton Bowl payout to play Penn St.
Meanwhile, MTSU has slogged along in CUSA since the 2009 NOLA Bowl telling everyone things are just fine and rewarding the Head Football Coach with a fireproof early retirement while the folks in Bowling Green, KY, Birmingham, AL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Denton TX run circles around us with conference titles and new facilities.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
On the topic of not donating, are those of you that are withholding until AD & pres leave telling the callers this when they call during this donation drive?

I typically don’t answer, but I politely told the young lady why I would do rate and then responded to the email follow up.

Maybe if enough people say it this way, someone will hear it. Not much we can do to be heard, but may this is an option.

On the topic of not donating, are those of you that are withholding until AD & pres leave telling the callers this when they call during this donation drive?

I typically don’t answer, but I politely told the young lady why I would do rate and then responded to the email follow up.

Maybe if enough people say it this way, someone will hear it. Not much we can do to be heard, but may this is an option.

How is telling a 23 old staffer going to move the needle? If the fact that, you know, the chart for donations and attendance looks like this weeks stock market and that itself isn't enough it's already clear the decision withdraw is the right one.

How is telling a 23 old staffer going to move the needle? If the fact that, you know, the chart for donations and attendance looks like this weeks stock market and that itself isn't enough it's already clear the decision withdraw is the right one.

She wrote down the reason in some document, assuming it gets analyzed. Also, her follow up email included the direct email for the director of giving and the development office.

So while providing the message to a 23 yr old doesn’t do much, perhaps the message going to the director of funding and development office, especially if multiply people tell them, might help.

Perhaps Joe Bales telling the president or BRAA & Massaro a major reason people will not donate money is you might help awareness.

But giving no rationale or just not answering doesn’t give an explanation and allows M & M to blow it off like you did without actually thinking/facing it.

I met with Massaro on 11/7/19 in Murfreesboro. I voiced my displeasure again which he acknowledged he was already well aware of. I know somebody in Murphy Center reads this website and probably even CM. At that time, I told him I wanted to start donating again but could not in good conscience continue to contribute given the present state of the program. He said “it was his job to stay positive and help the football team get to bowl eligibility as long as there was still a mathematical chance.” I told him I understood but attendance was the elephant in the room nobody wants to address.
At that time, he said, “he would address any staff changes which may or may not happen after the season and to wait for the season to play out.” I told him I would wait and see.

Then we finish with a losing record and hear nothing from him or Stock until the “all is well....blanket denial piece” written by DNJ’s Joe Spears on on 1/10/20.
Stock: “I’m disappointed but not discouraged, lost 3 games to P5 schools, lost 3 games by a total of 11 pts., injuries, blah, blah , blah but.... “not making any excuses.”
Losing is still losing whether by 1 point or 40. Everyone deals with injuries. Memphis finished their season with 3 starters out for the year in their secondary.

Massaro: “I never considered any staff changes during or after the season.” “When you look at the program overall, it’s still in good shape.”
Not one staff change or move made in the off-season that he asked me to be patient about. Not one. I think we may have lost a Quality Control guy on offense but that’s the only change I see.

Stockstill and Massaro are good guys but this school and the program come first. Anyone with a brain can see the attendance # is being manipulated. How much does the entire Athletic program have to continue to bleed red ink now that basketball has gone in the tank as well? Student fee bailouts will eventually run out.

That DNJ piece on 1/10/20 sealed the deal for me on CM and RS. Both need to be gone and I’ll not give another dime until they are.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Then we finish with a losing record and hear nothing from him or Stock until the “all is well....blanket denial piece” written by DNJ’s Joe Spears on on 1/10/20.
Stock: “I’m disappointed but not discouraged, lost 3 games to P5 schools, lost 3 games by a total of 11 pts., injuries, blah, blah , blah but.... “not making any excuses.”
Losing is still losing whether by 1 point or 40. Everyone deals with injuries. Memphis finished their season with 3 starters out for the year in their secondary. Massaro: “I never considered any staff changes during or after the season.” “When you look at the program overall, it’s still in good shape.”
Not one staff change or move made in the off-season that he asked me to be patient about. Not one. I think we may have lost a Quality Control guy on offense but that’s the only change I see.
Stockstill and Massaro are good guys but this school and the program come first. Anyone with a brain can see the attendance # is being manipulated. How much does the entire Athletic program have to continue to bleed red ink now that basketball has gone in the tank as well? Student fee bailouts will eventually run out.

That DNJ piece on 1/10/20 sealed the deal for me on CM and RS. Both need to be gone and I’ll not give another dime until they are.

DITTO!

And you can add McPhee to that list too. Boots was not the answer at AD, but he was right all along about McPhee.

I'm trying to think of a time where I was overly optimistic about Middle's long term goals for the program.

2000 and 2001 were great for football because I was all in with Dr. Walker's vision and Lee Fowler's direction which seemed to align with growth and optimism. Basketball was failing badly around this time but I remember having a sky is the limit mentality.

2006 was a fantastic year as this was our first bowl trip in 1-A and on the heels of a needed coaching change. 2009 speaks for itself.

Outside of Kermit Davis, the department has been on a slow and steady decline ever since. The crowds show it and there is NOTHING being done. NO CREATIVITY. They need to go.

2010 is when it started in my book.

We came off the amazing 10-3 year. Everyone thinking hey. We can do this. Then next year we came back down to earth to 6-6, squeezing in a bowl, and Dasher couldn't cut it. Not to mention the suspension (don't get me started on how he played in the bowl game).

Plus after 09 the new contract was signed after Mephis and ECU came calling, and two years later we went 2-10.

In a span of 3 years we went from sky is the limit and 9-10 wins is the expectation to the exception. We all realized we were stuck and the hole just kept getting dug deeper. Hope given, an extension given, hope taken away, another extension given.

Very little hope given since, even with Brent and a division championship. Yet more extensions given.

Oh how I'd love to win the lottery and walk down with a 20m check and have my way with the place.

3,500 fans in attendance for an FBS program is completely unacceptable. Area high schools get more people in the stands than that.

Reactions: Raiders_55
ADVERTISEMENT