ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Deputy AD Lee De Leon answers Raider Roundup mailbag questions!

Yeah, so they're not beating *OUR* expectations, but we were predicted to finish 8th out of 11 in CUSA.

We ended up tied for 4th in conference record, and have the 3rd best overall record.
Yup. Mark Owens retweeted it to beat his chest so he can justify MT's program thus keeping it all the same.

The real question is..... Should a 17 year HC EVER have his team in a situation where they are even predicted to finish that low? That's the underlying issue with all this. The perception of the media and the fans is that there is a glaring problem. That's pretty telling to me.

All that is true. Preseason conference poll had us 8th. DNJ had us pegged at 8-4. Another site 7-5. Others 5 to 7 wins. So we hit the mark in my book.

But that is the issue. The disconnect between what we know we are capable of, and what the school (and therefore media) thinks we are capable of.

I said on Twitter good thing I'm not an AD. Stock's contract would say two losing seasons in a row (6-7 bowl loss counts) and you'd be gone. Two 6-6 seasons in a row and no bowl, gone. I wouldn't put up with it. Every season should finish with double digit wins in my book. Want an extension, win a conference champ.

Sorry, it just set me off the wrong way seeing that.

De Leon and Vrabel. This ongoing thread about De Leon is a good place to discuss the similarities between De Leon and the Titans JRob firing and the Vrabel press conference controversy.

In my opinion, De Leon is sort of like Vrabel in regard to being out front taking questions that really belongs to those above him. The last 24 hours has seen the Nashville sports media blowing up over Vrabel being out in the front of the media for questions that the owner Amy Adams really needed to be answering.

The media had legit questions. The questions weren't out of left field. The problem was hanging Vrabel out to dry to questions that he could not answer. I think the sports media empathized with Vrabel being stuck in the middle. It reminds me of the folks here on this board with De Leon.

People around here have legit questions. I appreciate De Leon standing up facing the questions and trying to reach out to the fans. In reality though, we all know that the university leadership who made the decisions and actions really need to face the people and answer the tough questions. They don't and won't. Resultingly, the fans have checked out. The stands on gameday are embarrassingly empty on gameday especially for any and all home games in Oct and Nov.

Speaking for myself, I'd feel a bit better about things if De Leon were AD. At least he has the guts to stand up out in front of the people taking tough questions that are really above his pay grade. I at least get the sense that he cares what the fans and alumni think and care about and tries to do what he can to address those concerns.

I think that's the idea.

I thought MT would win 4-5 games (at best). They won 7. So 7 exceeded expectations THIS YEAR.

But, my program expectations are 7+ wins every year with a 9/10 win season / conference championship every few years
I think those are very reasonable expectations of a fan base. I'm right there with you Austin

Yeah, so they're not beating *OUR* expectations, but we were predicted to finish 8th out of 11 in CUSA.

We ended up tied for 4th in conference record, and have the 3rd best overall record.
After 17 years, I'm tired of the third and fourth best. I'm tired of being expected to finish 8th.

After 17 years, I should read a 2nd, tied for first, god forbid a conference title.

A coach at 17 years, worth his salt, should be pissed to have an expectation of 8th, or 4th. 17 freakin' years and has yet to instill a culture of winning titles. How many coaches have come and gone after winning titles?

De Leon and Vrabel. This ongoing thread about De Leon is a good place to discuss the similarities between De Leon and the Titans JRob firing and the Vrabel press conference controversy.

In my opinion, De Leon is sort of like Vrabel in regard to being out front taking questions that really belongs to those above him. The last 24 hours has seen the Nashville sports media blowing up over Vrabel being out in the front of the media for questions that the owner Amy Adams really needed to be answering.

The media had legit questions. The questions weren't out of left field. The problem was hanging Vrabel out to dry to questions that he could not answer. I think the sports media empathized with Vrabel being stuck in the middle. It reminds me of the folks here on this board with De Leon.

People around here have legit questions. I appreciate De Leon standing up facing the questions and trying to reach out to the fans. In reality though, we all know that the university leadership who made the decisions and actions really need to face the people and answer the tough questions. They don't and won't. Resultingly, the fans have checked out. The stands on gameday are embarrassingly empty on gameday especially for any and all home games in Oct and Nov.

Speaking for myself, I'd feel a bit better about things if De Leon were AD. At least he has the guts to stand up out in front of the people taking tough questions that are really above his pay grade. I at least get the sense that he cares what the fans and alumni think and care about and tries to do what he can to address those concerns.
De Leon is in a very tough spot. I'd rather have him take over AD and see what he's got. I'd bet he would be unlike Massaro and be at a Power 5 by this point in his career.

Yes in retrospect I would say this year was a little above expectations for me. With the transfer portal hitting the D the way it did I was expecting 4 or 5 wins as some others did. There's our problem, the university has set its expectations so low year after year. We're so used to 6-6 or 7-5 annually we kind of expect a crap year. Even if your expecting a 4 or 5 win season due to anticipated problems, there's not much celebrating of another 6 or 7 win year. It's the accustomed norm. To get the fanbase attention you have to break past the norm for the last 10+ years. Unless we ever have a championship caliber season with 9 or more regular season wins there will be no smiles around Floyd Stadium anytime soon

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I’m ready for the difficult question to be asked. Home football games are over. They kept preaching after the season dirt would start moving. I haven’t seen anything. When is construction finally going to start?

I’m ready for the difficult question to be asked. Home football games are over. They kept preaching after the season dirt would start moving. I haven’t seen anything. When is construction finally going to start?
March. Their permit didn't get approved to open till then. I asked Lee about groundbreaking when I talked to him at the FAU game and he said they could do that tomorrow but it would sit there till March when they could legally start.

March. Their permit didn't get approved to open till then. I asked Lee about groundbreaking when I talked to him at the FAU game and he said they could do that tomorrow but it would sit there till March when they could legally start.
Why the hell not? I suppose there is some reason for this.

Reminds me of the Middle Tennessee Blvd rework/widening. The talk to actuality took over a freaking decade.

Reminds me of the Middle Tennessee Blvd rework/widening. The talk to actuality took over a freaking decade.
Same with bridge over Broad. The state biught property beside it to plan when I was there 20yrs ago.

Having my Dad and brother-in-law as structural engineers, and my BIL being a land developer as well in Charlotte, I can tell you the permit/govt approval and paperwork is by far the longest part.

My Dad has been retired for 3yrs and there are bridges he's designed that are approved and paid for yet still haven't even started.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

And look at it this way too. That extra time allows for a bit of changing in the design aesthetics based on feedback. It's even been updated since the last release shown, which was an update from the release video.

If a 17 year coach is expected to win less than 5 games, Then there is a problem. Why would fans spend their time and money on that? But as long as the A-Dept has blurbs, bullet points and tidbits to tweet, all is well.

All that is true. Preseason conference poll had us 8th. DNJ had us pegged at 8-4. Another site 7-5. Others 5 to 7 wins. So we hit the mark in my book.

But that is the issue. The disconnect between what we know we are capable of, and what the school (and therefore media) thinks we are capable of.

I said on Twitter good thing I'm not an AD. Stock's contract would say two losing seasons in a row (6-7 bowl loss counts) and you'd be gone. Two 6-6 seasons in a row and no bowl, gone. I wouldn't put up with it. Every season should finish with double digit wins in my book. Want an extension, win a conference champ.

Sorry, it just set me off the wrong way seeing that.

I think that's a big problem here is the way the program is viewed by outsiders vs fans.

Outsiders who don't pay that much attention see each year in a vacuum - a G5 team that went 8-4-ish, went to a bowl game, had a big upset (sort of) - hey, not bad right? Honestly, if you came up to me and said Colorado State or Ball State or any rando team that I don't pay attention to had that kind of a year, i'd be like - "good for them".

The fans are now going on year 17 of grinding mediocrity, disappointment, and failure over and over and over again. Many just quit.

There is no parallel to this in any historical college football context that I can find, and we can't get anyone to shine a light on it.

And look at it this way too. That extra time allows for a bit of changing in the design aesthetics based on feedback. It's even been updated since the last release shown, which was an update from the release video.
More aluminum and less aesthetics I’m sure

If a 17 year coach is expected to win less than 5 games, Then there is a problem. Why would fans spend their time and money on that? But as long as the A-Dept has blurbs, bullet points and tidbits to tweet, all is well.

MT’s athletic department wants to win championships like I want to lose weight.

Lots of lip service and best intentions, but unwilling to make the major needed change.

We all know what changes need to really be made, but MT is ok with the perpetual 7-5 +\-1 by beating up on terrible sub .500 teams, and I’m ok carrying an extra 10-15 pounds.

MT wants to win a championship, but renews Stock over and over. I want to lose weight, but now I am off to put some St Louis ribs in my smoker.

I think that's a big problem here is the way the program is viewed by outsiders vs fans.

Outsiders who don't pay that much attention see each year in a vacuum - a G5 team that went 8-4-ish, went to a bowl game, had a big upset (sort of) - hey, not bad right? Honestly, if you came up to me and said Colorado State or Ball State or any rando team that I don't pay attention to had that kind of a year, i'd be like - "good for them".

The fans are now going on year 17 of grinding mediocrity, disappointment, and failure over and over and over again. Many just quit.

There is no parallel to this in any historical college football context that I can find, and we can't get anyone to shine a light on it.
Exactly.

It's not that it's just one season of 6-6 / 7-5 type football. It's 17 seasons of 6-6 / 7-5 football. And that gets mind-numbingly mind-numbing.

Add to that you can almost guarantee a 4 losses to Vandy, an annual double-digit loss to WKU, and getting blown out by the current class of the conference (UTSA / UAB), it's frustrating for fan.

Exactly.

It's not that it's just one season of 6-6 / 7-5 type football. It's 17 seasons of 6-6 / 7-5 football. And that gets mind-numbingly mind-numbing.

Add to that you can almost guarantee a 4 losses to Vandy, an annual double-digit loss to WKU, and getting blown out by the current class of the conference (UTSA / UAB), it's frustrating for fan.

And worst of all there is no hope for any kind of change.

Once 7-wood is gone, things will change. Will it get better or worse? I think it depends on his replacement.
Keith Carver enters the chat

Seriously, if MT can get Keith Carver to replace McPhee, it's a step up for the institution. Carver is one of those Presidents that gets "it."

l also wonder if MT alum (and former USM president) Rodney Bennett may get a look.

I’d like to ask Lee what the new capacity of Floyd will be after they take out that upper deck? Also why the indoor practice facility is going to cost 15 million. Does that include office space?

I’d like to ask Lee what the new capacity of Floyd will be after they take out that upper deck? Also why the indoor practice facility is going to cost 15 million. Does that include office space?
office space for who? no reason to be that expensive without seating, concessions for indoor track

I am really curious what the stadium capacity with the reduction of seats that will be happening.

ADVERTISEMENT