ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Dearmon offense - how much different?

Aug 31, 2020
Good morning all! I'm starting to get excited for the upcoming football season and was curious for everyone's thoughts on bringing in Dearmon and his "up-tempo" approach. Do we expect it to be a bunch of drastic changes? Will the offense be a ton faster or is it just the generic tempo talk that new coaches do? The biggest question: Will it work for us? I'm getting excited reading the comments from spring practices, but should I be? Go MTSU!

Dearmon is a good Twitter follow FWIW. Seems to have good football acumen and a creative offensive mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders_55
Dearmon's offense wasn't working here and a lot of changes happened mid season. You have Brent Stockstill to thank for the QB play and passing improvement because he took it completely over along with the WR coaching. Basically the job he has this season is what he was doing last season unofficially (Passing game OC.) It got better when he took over those duties more after the Charlotte game.

Dearmon left because of this. He couldn't stand to share the spotlight with anyone else. He did not make friends here. The players couldn't stand him from what 6 of them told me. They would take a human life while running through a wall for Brent Stockstill.

The new OC has been brought in with the understanding that Brent S is heavily involved with the passing game from the start. We have 2 very compentent QBs with Lowe as the runner QB if we want. We have plenty of good wr's with Lane, Ali, Gathings, etc. We shifted caoches on the OL which is the biggest ? we have. If that improves even slightly, we are a very effective offense.

I’m actually looking at buying a couple of season tickets in Sec. 2H. It’s worth $110 just for the entertainment value to watch Healy and Charlotte on 11/12 then the return of Dearmon with FAU on 11/19.

Last edited:
I'm on the prowl for tickets too. Deciding either TSU or WKU. Hoping I can find someone selling a few chairbacks like i have past two home games I've gone to. I'm too old to hold my back up on old bleachers for 3+ hours.

Good morning all! I'm starting to get excited for the upcoming football season and was curious for everyone's thoughts on bringing in Dearmon and his "up-tempo" approach. Do we expect it to be a bunch of drastic changes? Will the offense be a ton faster or is it just the generic tempo talk that new coaches do? The biggest question: Will it work for us? I'm getting excited reading the comments from spring practices, but should I be? Go MTSU!

stewart will push tempo more. More 4 wide sets without the TE/H back that Dearmon liked. Probably slightly more tilted to the pass vs. the run with Stewart, though I never thought Dearmon ran the ball nearly as much as he talked it up. “Down hill” running never transpired for us despite Dearmon preaching it. To be fair, I don’t think we had the players on the roster to make it happen. Our RBs were just not very good last year.

Stewart’s offense will probably look more like Tony Franklins which I’m sure you remember. Horizontal throws and plays to open up the vertical game. Lots of short throws, with the ball going where the numbers dictate. Like every other offense, you want to attack the defense where it is weakest and that usually means where they have the fewest players lining up.

what I like about Mitch is his experience. He will see what we can, and more importantly can’t do, with our current roster and hopefully craft solid game plans that utilize our strengths and give us a chance to win. I personally believe our strength is at the WR position, so I’m expecting a lot of attempted passes this season.

the big thing I’m looking for is improvement on 3rd down and a good start to the season. We were horrid on 3rd down last year which has to improve. We also cannot afford to start the year 1-4 or something similar and try to play catch up on the back half. We have to split the first two games and come out of week 3 against TSU with a 2-1 record if we are to have any hope of an exciting season. A 0-2 start would be unspeakably deflating.

stewart will push tempo more. More 4 wide sets without the TE/H back that Dearmon liked. Probably slightly more tilted to the pass vs. the run with Stewart, though I never thought Dearmon ran the ball nearly as much as he talked it up. “Down hill” running never transpired for us despite Dearmon preaching it. To be fair, I don’t think we had the players on the roster to make it happen. Our RBs were just not very good last year.

Stewart’s offense will probably look more like Tony Franklins which I’m sure you remember. Horizontal throws and plays to open up the vertical game. Lots of short throws, with the ball going where the numbers dictate. Like every other offense, you want to attack the defense where it is weakest and that usually means where they have the fewest players lining up.
Dead on. Offense / run game struggled (again) under Dearmon because the OL struggled. Year after year after year, Mallory's OL continues to struggle. OL hasn't been the same since Wade left

Dead on. Offense / run game struggled (again) under Dearmon because the OL struggled. Year after year after year, Mallory's OL continues to struggle. OL hasn't been the same since Wade left

I still think we should've gone after Geep when he was let go from GS after Helton was hired.

Was he amazing, no. Better than what we have, yup.

Reactions: AustinLewis
I’m actually looking at buying a couple of season tickets in Sec. 2H. It’s worth $110 just for the entertainment value to watch Healy and Charlotte on 11/12 then the return of Dearmon with FAU on 11/19.
Personally, I think this season is an excellent home slate with the best matchups. TSU with Eddie George, WKU. Charlotte, UTSA's defense of the title and FAU with Dearmon's punk butt. LOL. It's the best home slate we've had in a long time. Maybe ever as a conference slate. All strong teams.

I still think we should've gone after Geep when he was let go from GS after Helton was hired.

Was he amazing, no. Better than what we have, yup.
In reality, we went 6-6, 7-5 and a couple 8 win seasons with Geep. So we were better but not by a ton.

In reality, we went 6-6, 7-5 and a couple 8 win seasons with Geep. So we were better but not by a ton.
Maybe. But the MT ran the ball with success with Wade and Elarbee.

In 2013, Jordan Parker avg 5.1, Whatley averaged 6.5, and Bryson had 4.9.
In 2014, Whatley averaged 6.8, Parker pulled 4.3, & Tucker pulled 5.0.

Numbers went down in 2015, but the last year we had a successful rushing attack from the RB position was 2016.

I love to throw the ball around but if you can't run the ball & protect the QB, you're gonna struggle. And that's exactly where MT has struggled for several years.

We have not ran the ball well or with any authority since I'Tavius Mathers left. Whatley, Parker, and Tucker were good before him too.

We just have not had any studs at the position and the OL hasn't been very good, either. It is quite perplexing that Stockstill has allowed the running game to perform this poorly for this long without any significant changes being made too. He of all people knows how important running the ball is and how big of an advantage it gives your offense when the defense has to respect your running game.

Oh well.

That's what makes this whole subject so frustrating. He was a QB, as was his son. If anyone knows the importance of a OL wall, it should be them.

Who knows. Brent may have been the one to convince ole Dad to do some coach switching after seeing some things last year as a coach.

Maybe. But the MT ran the ball with success with Wade and Elarbee.

In 2013, Jordan Parker avg 5.1, Whatley averaged 6.5, and Bryson had 4.9.
In 2014, Whatley averaged 6.8, Parker pulled 4.3, & Tucker pulled 5.0.

Numbers went down in 2015, but the last year we had a successful rushing attack from the RB position was 2016.

I love to throw the ball around but if you can't run the ball & protect the QB, you're gonna struggle. And that's exactly where MT has struggled for several years.
Who was the OC? Buster. Who complained about Buster like all the time. WE DID. I don't think there's a solution to be had.

Who was the OC? Buster. Who complained about Buster like all the time. WE DID. I don't think there's a solution to be had.
That's fair. Buster-ball had its fair share of issues, but they were successful in the run game.

The big question that I have is why has the MT OL struggled going back 4-6 years.

Stock's attachment to certain asst coaches has kept the program from moving forward.

That's fair. Buster-ball had its fair share of issues, but they were successful in the run game.

The big question that I have is why has the MT OL struggled going back 4-6 years.

Stock's attachment to certain asst coaches has kept the program from moving forward.
I agree 100% Our best running year was 2012 with the dude who went to TX tech and Earlabee. That year got Benny into the NFL. Maybe the switch at the OL position will help the line. Who knows?

Style of play dictates a lot of the way the Oline plays. We have been a finesse team, we don't line up and try to knock the man 2 yard off the line. We zone block way too much.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Style of play dictates a lot of the way the Oline plays. We have been a finesse team, we don't line up and try to knock the man 2 yard off the line. We zone block way too much.
I don't have an issue with zone blocking. LOTS of good offenses zone block (college & pro), but MT OL hasn't done a great job at either (zone with TF, more gap oriented with Dearmon).

Of course but that ain't happening.
Yep.

After 2011 (6 seasons), Stock was 35-40, 1-1 in bowl games.

Now, after 16 seasons of this and a record just 3 victories north of .500 (101-98) we deserved better. But our “leaders” allowed this, and actually endorsed it, with the 3 extra years granted in 2015 which made him untouchable.
The guy who wrote this piece a couple of weeks ago still thinks Dearmon is the MTSU OC. 😂😂 Relevance???

LINK: Hot Seat?

Rick Stockstill – Middle Tennessee
“The epitome of mid-level Group of Five stability for more than a decade, Middle Tennessee is struggling for relevance, and Rick Stockstill might be on the hot seat for the first time in his career.

The 63-year-old former longtime Clemson assistant is beloved across college football, has 100 wins and nine bowl appearances over 15 years as head coach, and recently made a six-figure donation to the university.

Buyout: Stockstill has a modest salary just shy of $1 million but a buyout of nearly $4 million if fired after the 2022 season.

Replacement: If there’s a mutual separation, might the Blue Raiders aim for a smooth transition by promoting offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon? A former NAIA head coach in Tennessee (Bethel University), Dearmon was lauded for his work with the Kansas offense in 2019 before leaving for Stockstill’s staff.” 😂😂

Last edited:
Yep.

After 2011 (6 seasons), Stock was 35-40, 1-1 in bowl games.

Now, after 16 seasons of this and a record just 3 victories north of .500 (101-98) we deserved better. But our “leaders” allowed this, and actually endorsed it, with the 3 extra years granted in 2015 which made him untouchable.
The guy who write this piece a couple of weeks ago still thinks Dearmon is the MTSU OC. 😂😂 Relevance???

LINK: Hot Seat?

Rick Stockstill – Middle Tennessee
“The epitome of mid-level Group of Five stability for more than a decade, Middle Tennessee is struggling for relevance, and Rick Stockstill might be on the hot seat for the first time in his career.

The 63-year-old former longtime Clemson assistant is beloved across college football, has 100 wins and nine bowl appearances over 15 years as head coach, and recently made a six-figure donation to the university.

Buyout: Stockstill has a modest salary just shy of $1 million but a buyout of nearly $4 million if fired after the 2022 season.

Replacement: If there’s a mutual separation, might the Blue Raiders aim for a smooth transition by promoting offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon? A former NAIA head coach in Tennessee (Bethel University), Dearmon was lauded for his work with the Kansas offense in 2019 before leaving for Stockstill’s staff.” 😂😂
Your point? Like I said, that ain't happening. His seat is ice cold. Massaro said as much after the bowl win.

ADVERTISEMENT