ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA update article from The Athletic ($$)

We keep talking AAC, but with them taking all those C-USA teams, do we honestly think their TV deal will not suffer? Afterall, we're talking about some of the same schools that was sold as part of this lackluster media deal.

I don't know, I just feel like there is nowhere to go but down for MT. Like, we are on the Titanic, and we see the iceberg ahead and no one is turning to avoid it. Hey, let's hit it and see we will sink or not.

Perception is it exactly. It's why I want out of CUSA so bad. These schools may be fine institutions and great at athletics. But all the public will see is MT, being FBS for over 20 years, is still lumped in with a group of relatively unknown schools. Ones that replaced schools that moved to FBS around or after us and have already moved to greener pastures and grown.

Yes it can be argued about us going back to SBC as bad. But right now, SBC is above CUSA and that is what I mean by greener pastures.

FBS
MT 1999 SBC, CUSA (0 champs, never ranked)

North Texas 1995 SBC, CUSA, AAC (3 conf champ)
FAU 2004 SBC, CUSA, AAC (2 conf champ)
UTSA 2011 CUSA, AAC (has been ranked & conf champ)
App State 2014 SBC (has been ranked)
ODU 2014 CUSA, SBC
Charlotte 2015 CUSA, AAC
JMU 2022 SBC (has been ranked)
While I wouldn't look forward to getting skunked by a good portion of the Sun Belt, I totally get your argument

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
We keep talking AAC, but with them taking all those C-USA teams, do we honestly think their TV deal will not suffer? Afterall, we're talking about some of the same schools that was sold as part of this lackluster media deal.

I don't know, I just feel like there is nowhere to go but down for MT. Like, we are on the Titanic, and we see the iceberg ahead and no one is turning to avoid it. Hey, let's hit it and see we will sink or not.

Doesn't matter what their TV deal is, it'll be better than CUSAs, and that's all that matters.

Maybe there is nowhere to go but down, but at least those in bigger/better G5 conferences at least have a fighting chance.

AAC was smart and signed a new deal before the B12 poached them. Made a 12yr deal starting 2020 that'll pay $7m per school per year.

That is AMAZING for a G5 conference. CUSA can't even get 10% of that for it's schools...
It absolutely is. Probably won't get that next deal unless someone becomes Cincy or Houston again but still. Can't blame Charlotte, UNT etc. It's the G5 version of USC/UCLA going to B1G. Can't blame them chasing the $ at all.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Liberty is a diploma mill. It's a religious version of the University of Phoenix. Add to that some non-mainstream views and there's a reason no one wanted them until we needed them to save CUSA.

I don't know anything about Tarleton State. I fully admit that much of my distaste is snobbery, and with respect to our actual athletic achievements (at least in football), relatively unwarranted.

That said, there's a point where you water down the G5 to the point where it's a completely indistinguishable mish-mash of laughable sounding schools. With all due respect to those football programs (who i'm sure will obliterate us on the field the first time we play) - Tarleton State? Kennesaw State? Jacksonville State? What and where the heck are these things?

One directional state U? Sure. Two of them. Ok. Three? Eh. An entire conference? Not a good idea. And these aren't even directional states. Tarleton? Jacksonville (and not the Florida one), Kennesaw. They sound made up. WTF is a Tarleton? I'd have less an issue with Central Texas U or North Georgia State. At least there's some sort of Q-rating when you hear that.

The point is, if you take a bunch of FCS teams, and all of a sudden move them up to the FBS - you still have the same old FCS crud, you haven't really done anything except change the name.

Shame on us for squandering a 25 year headstart, but I do feel we should be better than to be lumped in with a bunch of start-ups.

WRT Coastal Carolina - they're going to last as long as they can keep that coach....which is about 6 more months. They are not built on a solid foundation like App State.
Kennesaw has everything to make them a much better option that GAST but I bet everyone here would be so excited about the Panthers.

AAC was smart and signed a new deal before the B12 poached them. Made a 12yr deal starting 2020 that'll pay $7m per school per year.
Existing schools will continue to get 7 million. The CUSA6 will get 2 million a piece.

ADVERTISEMENT