ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Costa Rica foreign tour

Curious to see what kind of competition the Panamanian National Team provides. Apparently, event organizers are bringing them in from the outside because the Costa Rican National Team is not considered good enough to provide quality competition to American college teams. I think Texas A&M is also going to be playing against the Panama squad.

I hope we can get some comprehensive reports on the games played on this trip. IIRC games on these trips are not as covert as the scrimmages with other teams held before the season.

I think Texas A&M played this same team. Would be interesting to see how that game went.

I tell ya what I saw Jayce Johnson working out at the gym my son trains in and that kids looks ready!!! There bodies look like grown men now. I’m excited to watch this season.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Saw they lost the 2nd game to the Panama All-Stars 88-77. Newcomers played the majority of minutes in this one so good experience...couldn't care less about the score.

Do you all think he will just use Antonio Green and C.J. Jones to run point when Sims is out or will Johnson or Crump run it some?

Do you all think he will just use Antonio Green and C.J. Jones to run point when Sims is out or will Johnson or Crump run it some?

My guess is there won’t be a “true” backup point guard. CNM likes versatile ball handlers where multiple players can initiate offense. I’d say there will be times even when Sims is on the court that another player will bring the ball up the court.

So I've been pretty negative about bb lately but doing this tour is awesome. Kudos to CNM for taking it on. I think this will help us a lot this season and will allow CNM to put the pieces together sooner than later this year. The team already seems to be more fluid and is playing together better as a team. Defense is always a concern but, I'm liking some of the things I'm seeing.

So I've been pretty negative about bb lately but doing this tour is awesome. Kudos to CNM for taking it on. I think this will help us a lot this season and will allow CNM to put the pieces together sooner than later this year. The team already seems to be more fluid and is playing together better as a team. Defense is always a concern but, I'm liking some of the things I'm seeing.

During the long losing streak last year I said I would give McDevitt untill the start of the 2nd season and the early signing period upcoming this year to make any judgement on the future of his tenure. I agree that I like what I have seen on this trip. It appears that the newcomers are an upgrade, the fact that they played a major role on the trip is a positive. It is wonderful that the true freshmen got as much PT as they did. Shows that we are working on depth and more importantly the future. The mere fact that we went on this trip is huge.
Apparently we are "in on" several good PGs and PFs for next year. Landing one of each will be a really positive sign for the future.

During the long losing streak last year I said I would give McDevitt untill the start of the 2nd season and the early signing period upcoming this year to make any judgement on the future of his tenure. I agree that I like what I have seen on this trip. It appears that the newcomers are an upgrade, the fact that they played a major role on the trip is a positive. It is wonderful that the true freshmen got as much PT as they did. Shows that we are working on depth and more importantly the future. The mere fact that we went on this trip is huge.
Apparently we are "in on" several good PGs and PFs for next year. Landing one of each will be a really positive sign for the future.
If we land two of the forwards we are targeting we will have 5 players above 6'7" that are either freshmen or sophomores and 10 players over 6'5" on next year's team. Definitely different than Kermit's teams. We had the taller guys with him, but most our guards were in the 6'0"-6'3" range.

If we land two of the forwards we are targeting we will have 5 players above 6'7" that are either freshmen or sophomores and 10 players over 6'5" on next year's team. Definitely different than Kermit's teams. We had the taller guys with him, but most our guards were in the 6'0"-6'3" range.

It doesn't matter how tall they are it's about their length.

It doesn't matter how tall they are it's about their length.
Most of the time the taller they are the longer they are. The guards Kermit recruited also did not have a lot of length. Neither really matters as much as skill. I would take a highly skilled 6'2" guard over an average 6'5" guard. Just pointing out the difference in recruiting and emphasis on height.

My guess is there won’t be a “true” backup point guard. CNM likes versatile ball handlers where multiple players can initiate offense. I’d say there will be times even when Sims is on the court that another player will bring the ball up the court.
Yea I was kind of thinking along those lines as well. Whoever gets the rebound push it up the floor. Except maybe a few exceptions.

Nothing here I didn't expect or hope for (the frontcourt production). Biggest + will be the experience Millin (wish he was just a couple of inches taller) and Jackson will get this year. If we can sign just one of the "bigs" we are apparently "in on" McDevitt could be developing a really good young group of inside players for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT