ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Conference USA Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Conference USA Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes

excerpt:

Middle Tennessee

"Brent Stockstill coming back for another year at quarterback is huge for them. He makes things happen in that offense. They were one team with him and a very bad team without him."

"If that team stays healthy on offense they’re the second breakout team of last season behind FAU, because they’ve got enough on defense to slow you down possession to possession."

"This year they can really make a conference title run."

Conference USA Coaches Talk
Anonymously About Conference Foes

They were one team with him and a very bad team without him."

Scary quote because the dude is out of eligibility in about 5 months. We've talked in many other posts about how we're not bringing in talent at a level needed to win a title.

We have been carried by a couple of program greats (guys like Richie James, Brent, etc) - but those guys don't come around all the time.

This staff has been here long enough that we need to be one of those teams that reloads, not rebuilds.

Conference USA Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes

We've been waiting on this for more than a decade.

This staff is incapable of winning a conference title.

If we don't win the title this year, one truly has to wonder if we ever will. We've got a senior QB who most would argue is the best in program history, a stud OL group with great depth, top 3 WR group in the conference, 5 deep at RB, and a very respectable defense.

If not now, when? Every single piece is there to win a title minus an established FG kicker (which knowing our luck will cost us a conference title or shot at one this year).

If we do not win the title this year, it is because of 2 things:

1. A lack of comparative talent across the board vs. other CUSA schools

2. Poor coaching and game-planning from week to week

I honestly don't know how we can justify keeping Rick Stockstill here if, after 13 seasons and going on 14, he still can't field the best team in his conference.

With that being said, I'm very excited for the season and hopeful we can start the year with a W against Vanderbilt.

I honestly think we have the best OC/ DC combo in the conference, so no excuses. If everyone stays healthy we should compete for a conference title at the very least. The only game on our schedule that is not winnable is Georgia.

Reactions: C-Bow
If we don't win the title this year, one truly has to wonder if we ever will. We've got a senior QB who most would argue is the best in program history, a stud OL group with great depth, top 3 WR group in the conference, 5 deep at RB, and a very respectable defense.

If not now, when? Every single piece is there to win a title minus an established FG kicker (which knowing our luck will cost us a conference title or shot at one this year).

If we do not win the title this year, it is because of 2 things:

1. A lack of comparative talent across the board vs. other CUSA schools

2. Poor coaching and game-planning from week to week

I honestly don't know how we can justify keeping Rick Stockstill here if, after 13 seasons and going on 14, he still can't field the best team in his conference.

With that being said, I'm very excited for the season and hopeful we can start the year with a W against Vanderbilt.

I honestly, don't think it's an X's and O's problem. I think the scheme is good enough to win a title.

I think it's flat out we're not bringing in enough high end talent, and we're not bringing in enough to build any kind of depth - so when the inevitable injury or two hits, the team is sunk.

And look at the NFL - teams like Marshall, WKU, F-U's routinely have a couple of guys drafted.

Meanwhile, some of our greatest players in the FBS/D1-A era go undrafted, are 7th round flyers, and/or can't even get invited to the combine.

FAU and Marshall etc are taking 3-star guys and coaching them up to titles. Our guys are getting coached up, but they're no-star nobodies and their ceiling is maybe 3-star performances - hence why FAU and Marshall and WKU are flirting with the top 25 and winning the conference, our guys are eeking into bowl eligibility.

With our location, budget, recent history of success, facilities etc - there's absolutely no reason this staff should be recruiting in the bottom half of the conference.

If we get a commit, and that kid has no profile on 247 or Rivals, has no discernable other offers or interest - we probably should not be taking that commit in August. That's the kid you fill your class out with in December.

It's like this staff has forgotten about South Florida, and GA in recruiting. It doesn't seem we are getting as many high end guys from those states as we use to.

The Vandy game will tell me about what we have in the tank this year. Vandy returns like 3 starters on D with a new DC. If we can't slice through that, then we ain't winning squat. I'm optimistic and I do think this team is different and they seem to be more dialed in. However, none of that means anything if we can't take Vandy down.

If we lose that game, we can still be fine but it will be the same old stuff as it will effect our performance. I hate to put it this way but there it is.

You guys hit the nail on the head. We've had the best QB in school history (arguably), best RB in school history (arguably), best WR in school history, and have nothing to show for it the past 3 years. You don't have to wait for this year to play out we missed that boat to win the conference, and its apparent that's not going to change. I would love to be proven wrong, but I just can't get excited about it this year. I didn't renew my season tix, (still give to BRAA though.) its not Insell or McDevitt or any one else's fault that Stockstill has created apathy among the fanbase. I wrote an article on another site about the very fact that if you look at who was winning the conference the past few years they had at least 2-3 NFL guys on their team and most at skill positions. There is a correlation for sure.

Bottomline is our staff has been lazy at recruiting. No reason to be middle of the pack in CUSA. I like Shafer but the rest can pound sand.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
best RB? best WR? who are these guys you speak of?

Mathers in his one season was as good as anyone has been at MT for one season. Richie was best WR we ever had. I feel like that season we lost to western in OT on the blocked fg was the chance.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Mathers in his one season was as good as anyone has been at MT for one season. Richie was best WR we ever had. I feel like that season we lost to western in OT on the blocked fg was the chance.

Not even close Kerry Wright was the best, with Newsome and Calico right there. Lee and Hicks are the best back is in FBS history. If we go back to 1aa Stone, Hall, Burse, Campbell. The difference with now and the previous 2 staffs, they recruited talent and hard nose football players.

Dwight Stone spent 13 years in the NFL and Benny Cunningham has spent 5 years in the league so far.

No other MT running back comes close .

Reactions: mtfblue
Not even close Kerry Wright was the best, with Newsome and Calico right there. Lee and Hicks are the best back is in FBS history. If we go back to 1aa Stone, Hall, Burse, Campbell. The difference with now and the previous 2 staffs, they recruited talent and hard nose football players.

So the fact that Mathers had 2100 scrimmage yards Hicks's highest was 1458. Also, Mathers ran for 1500 yards how many times did Hicks do that? None. Hows 298 touches 2198 and 20 tds? Tell me someone who had a better season than that? There is no stat where Mathers wasn't better save for Hicks's have 24 tds one season and 21 the other.

Richie James first two seasons put him on pace to set the NCAA catches record for a career. Richie James first two seasons he averaged 1500 yards how many times did Wright have over 1300??? Zero.

NFL success doesn't have to do with them being better, they are and will be better pros probably. But they weren't better at MT.

Reactions: C-Bow
Dwight Stone spent 13 years in the NFL and Benny Cunningham has spent 5 years in the league so far.

No other MT running back comes close .

Phillip Tanner was better than Cunningham at MT. Cunningham had zero 1000 yard seasons and only scored double digit TD's once. Tanner at least came close to1000 yards and had 13 and 15 TD's in a season.

Phillip Tanner was better than Cunningham at MT. Cunningham had zero 1000 yard seasons and only scored double digit TD's once. Tanner at least came close to1000 yards and had 13 and 15 TD's in a season.

Then Hicks then Mathers at the top. You can argue without numbers that they were better and that's an opinion but statistically you can't make a case Mathers and James weren't the best.

Can't just go off stats. Mathers and James also played more games each season (Seasons were expanded to 12 games around a decade ago and it's also a lot easier to get to a bowl game now)

I'd say we also run a lot more plays-per-game now as well.

I'd be interested to know yards per carry for each back. That's the true barometer, but is still reliant on play calling and offensive line play. Mathers is probably the most complete back we've ever had, but from a true running standpoint it's hard to beat Hicks.

Kerry and James were very different players. Kerry played outside and was just a speed demon who could get behind any defense and faster than just about anyone on either team. Kerry also caught everything thrown his way too, I literally don't think I ever saw him drop a ball. James played the slot and was great in small spaces and in creating space. He was a very dynamic player who also lined up at RB because he was so good in the open space. He dropped a lot of balls though later in his career.

Hicks ypc was 6.0 for his career, and Mathers was 6.7

since you are doing career for hicks do it for mathers as well. his numbers will drop. hicks did his damage playing 3 sec pay games a year. itrain is a complete back.

Probably don't have that. Mathers played one year here and he lit up Missouri. Even Hicks best ypc came on 100 less carries than Mathers. My point is he arguably was the best RB for a single season. We wasted it.

Hell no. Too many easily earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$............
Ditto. He’ll probably lose really bad for a season or two after Brent is gone and make Massaro buy him out like West did at Memphis. The recruiting at Memphis during West’s last three years was crap. JC transfers who were D1 washouts. He even signed a QB from Calif. that they we’re seriously afraid he was throwing games. I was told this directly by a former staff member. West got a three year golden parachute at $925,000 a year to sit at home or play golf.

Ditto. He’ll probably lose really bad for a season or two after Brent is gone and make Massaro buy him out like West did at Memphis. The recruiting at Memphis during West’s last three years was crap. JC transfers who were D1 washouts. He even signed a QB from Calif. that they we’re seriously afraid he was throwing games. I was told this directly by a former staff member. West got a three year golden parachute at $925,000 a year to sit at home or play golf.

I'm still convinced Dasher threw the bowl game against Miami (OH) and Stock just refused to pull him for some reason. I recall something in the neighborhood of 5 INT's.

He was literally throwing it directly to the other team which I'd never see him do in his career. He was making decisions/"mistakes" that I'd never seen him come close to making. It made all the more sense once the gambling debt rumors came about the following off season......

He cost me a lot of money on that Miami (OH) game.

"Brent Stockstill coming back for another year at quarterback is huge for them. He makes things happen in that offense. They were one team with him and a very bad team without him."

"If that team stays healthy on offense they’re the second breakout team of last season behind FAU, because they’ve got enough on defense to slow you down possession to possession."

Brent has stayed healthy enough...

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I looked at our roster after sitting behind our bench at the game yesterday. I was surprised to see some of the giant linemen (Starling in particular) were just freshmen. I don't think the future is as bad as we think.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I looked at our roster after sitting behind our bench at the game yesterday. I was surprised to see some of the giant linemen (Starling in particular) were just freshmen. I don't think the future is as bad as we think.

3 of those freshman OL are 3 star athletes that are over 6'4 and 300 lbs.

Reactions: Stonesraider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT