ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Conference USA championship tonight

Mixed feelings. If Tulane falters, the NY6 is LU's for the taking, along with $4m for the conference. And rumors are that Fritz is gone after this game to take over Houston. Distraction maybe?

But man what a feel good story Kill and NMSU have been. Would be good to see them win too.

This should be a good game; I think the line is a little too much. I've caught most of NMSU's last few games and their QB is a gamer and keeps them in most games.

I have a 30-1 NMSU futures bet on tonights game (NMSU to win CUSA). Shame I only put $20 on it, but $600 would be nice for something I really didn't think had much chance. NMSU was my dark horse for this year.

Thought about hedging but I'm just gonna let it ride even though they likely lose.

They look really good. And man, great looking atmosphere. Looks good for this conference to have two double digit win teams playing in a full house for a champ.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyler90wm
Man. This is a great freaking game. NMSU was down 35-21 and just tied it up using their 3rd string QB. 3min left in 3rd.

Reactions: tyler90wm
Man. This is a great freaking game. NMSU was down 35-21 and just tied it up using their 3rd string QB. 3min left in 3rd.

That was a fun one! Sucks NMSUs QB was hurt and not able to play in the 4th. Either way, great showing from CUSA in my opinion; both of these teams are really solid. Now we root for SMU tomorrow and hope Liberty makes the NY6 game.

So peeps. SMU is about to defeat Tulane. SMU or Liberty in the NY6? 13-0 Liberty didn't play a power team this year. 11-2 SMU played two power teams, lost both.

Who gets it? To me, it should be Liberty. Granted I'm biased for the CUSA optics and extra $ for us.

Last edited:
So peeps. SMU is about to defeat Tulane. SMU or Liberty in the NY6? 13-0 Liberty didn't play a power team this year. 11-2 SMU plaid two power teams, lost both.

Who gets it? To me, it should be Liberty. Granted I'm biased for the CUSA optics and extra $ for us.

They will find a way to give it to SMU IMO

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Liberty 100% should get it; they should not be faulted for their schedule as they beat every team in front of them this year when they are undefeated and the other candidate have two losses. Also, I didn't did a deep dive into this so this may be slightly inaccurate, but I think Liberty has more wins over above .500 teams than any other G5 champ except for Boise (equal wins, but one of those was over an above .500 FCS team). I'm clearly biased here, but they deserve the shot.

EDIT (did the research):
Liberty is 13-0 with 5 wins over above .500 teams: Bowling Green (7-5), NMSU (10-4), Jax St (8-4), WKU (7-5), NMSU (10-4)

SMU is 11-2 with 3 wins over above .500 teams: Prairie View A&M (6-5), Memphis (9-3), Tulane (11-2)

Troy is 11-2 with 3 wins over above .500 teams: WKU (7-5), Tx St (7-5), App St (8-5)

Miami (OH) is 11-2 with 3 wins over above .500 teams: Bowling Green (7-5), Ohio (9-3), Toledo (11-2)

Boise St is 8-5 with 5 wins over above .500 teams: North Dakota (7-5), SJSU (7-5), Wyoming (8-4), Air Force (8-4), UNLV (9-4)

Last edited:
Liberty 100% should get it; they should not be faulted for their schedule as they beat every team in front of them this year when they are undefeated and the other candidate have two losses. Also, I didn't did a deep dive into this so this may be slightly inaccurate, but I think Liberty has more wins over above .500 teams than any other G5 champ except for Boise (equal wins, but one of those was over an above .500 FCS team). I'm clearly biased here, but they deserve the shot.
SMU beat only 3 teams .500 or above. Memphis and Tulane, along with Rice at 6-6. Navy could be 6-6, so at most that's 4 .500 or better. They also have a win over an FCS.

Liberty didn't play an FCS and beat 6 teams .500 or above. Bowling Green, NMSU twice, Jax, WKU, and ODU at 6-6.

Even with no Power teams (which SMU lost big in), Liberty has a better resume.

Also important note, Liberty only had two games that weren’t double digit wins. They cruised to that 13-0 record. They deserve it and I think they will easily get it.

SMU beat only 3 teams .500 or above. Memphis and Tulane, along with Rice at 6-6. Navy could be 6-6, so at most that's 4 .500 or better. They also have a win over an FCS.

Liberty didn't play an FCS and beat 6 teams .500 or above. Bowling Green, NMSU twice, Jax, WKU, and ODU at 6-6.

Even with no Power teams (which SMU lost big in), Liberty has a better resume.

You are actually diving deep and putting some thought into it though.

Voters/crooked folks will just put SMU ahead since they're soon to be Power 5 and Liberty "didn't play anybody".

Tough draw for Liberty. I really don't see how they can compete with Oregon. Their size and skill on both the OL and DL is terrifying, I just don't see how Liberty can hold up against it.

I do wish them all the luck in the world. They're going to need it.

Tough draw for Liberty. I really don't see how they can compete with Oregon. Their size and skill on both the OL and DL is terrifying, I just don't see how Liberty can hold up against it.

I don't mind a loss. I just want it to be a competitive game. At the least put on a good showing for the G5 clan.

I do think it is super dumb that 11-2 champ SMU is playing 6-6 Boston College, 11-2 champ Troy playing 6-6 Ga Tech. While 11-2 champ Miami is playing 8-5 App. St. (That one is halfway ok as at least App was in the champ game but only because of JMU)
Horrible match ups. I really hope once the new playoff starts, some bowls come together to have the remaining 4 champs play each other every year. Show some respect to the G5.

EDIT....well. The ACC delayed their assignments and it looks like some changes from initial announcements. To keep UCF from a rematch woth Duke, Troy will actually play 7-5 Duke instead. Still pitiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I feel for FSU.
To an extent, I do too. If FSU lost, it was a no brainer. But I feel they are punishing them for injuries and whatnot that are out of their control. I mean when Jordan Travis says he wishes he broke his leg sooner so he could play in the post season, something isn't right. Too much human element in it.

Apparently the ACC was royally ticked. If you watched the announcements yesterday, bowl placements were made for everyone except ACC teams. Troy, WVU, Oregon St. all announced vs an ACC opponent. There was a mad scramble as they were expecting Louisville to be in the Orange Bowl, not FSU.

There are rumors out there that calls have been made and down the road the ACC may join forces with some other conferences, with FSU doing its own thing of course (SEC). Something will go down in the next few years for sure. Sure they'd be in the CFP next year, but seeding and sometimes home field will matter then.

It'll all be fun to watch. I'm all here for the chaos.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Mine & Clubber Lang's prediction for Oregon vs Liberty........"Pain!"

can't decide who I hate more. Washington or Michigan. Would be wonderful to see Liberty beat Oregone. It's a David/Goliath matchup in a couple different ways.

A lot, I mean a lot of me thinks all this in the next decade will lead to a split and there be three levels of D1 ball. And honestly I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Yes. Totally agree. Over the next decade I think there will be splits in several categories of our lives, including sports. Parallel systems will be the new norm. Not a bad thing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT