ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned with the amount of shootings near our campus

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
So I am at work and I get another update on my phone from a local news outlet that there was a shooting last night at a apartment complex near MT (University Gables).

This is in the wake of a shooting and murder near the campus earlier this month.

I know that the area has grown but at what point does a full house cleaning of these "University Housing" complexes start? It would seem to me that these people are not students of MT. These apartments advertise university living for students but the more and more these types of stories occur the more and more I think they are leasing to felons and troublemakers.

Police/authorities can shut down night clubs as public nuisances at a certain point...why not shut down a couple of apartment complexes if they are unwilling to vet the inmates a little more closely. MT admissions should tighten up admissions as well.

I belong to a couple of facebook groups of Murfreesboro residents and there have comments reported from police that most of the problems result from offenders from the murder capital of TN...Murfreesboro/MT seem to be importing their problems from sw tennessee.

Looks like MTSU campus police department is going to gain more authority to crackdown on this madness.

From the article:

"McPhee said he was concerned how many off-campus complexes, which are marketed to students, are becoming increasingly populated by non-students. Many units in those complexes are rented by the bedroom rather than full apartments."

I think what is happening is that these complexes offer a lot of amenities for a relatively low rent plus a college like atmosphere. Couple that with the wrong type of people wanting to have plenty of buyers for what they are selling and you have a crime cesspool. Right now, I wouldn't want my kids to stay off of campus if they were in Murfreesboro.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/mtsu-city-consider-broader-reach-of-campus-police-cms-46984

ADVERTISEMENT