ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Earle, arena naming ceremony, halftime, UAB @ MT

BlueAlpha

Blue Raider Fan
Aug 24, 2015
I guess, given the complete lack of leadership out of CM, the lack of communication/publicity regarding Coach Earle’s name being added to Monte Hale Arena shouldn’t come as a surprise. After the initial announcement, the only thing I have seen is in the weekly email season ticket holders receive each week. I just checked DNJ.com & GBR.com and nothing.
Even the social media accounts I follow have been silent. Given our record a small crowd would be a given. It’s also the game they invite & recognize former players/coaches/staff. So, unless I missed something, it’s a typical approach by out athletic administration.
I am about 80% finished with a lengthy missive to CM. This gives me one more thing to add. Not that I needed any more ammunition. It’s beyond embarrassing.

For you youngsters there wouldn't be a Murphy Ctr. in its present glory had it not been for Coach Earle and the teams he had and the resulting fan interest. We were on track, IIRC, to something akin to the Dunn Ctr. at APSU had the PTB at MT not waited to obtain the funding for a much more, at the time, useful and larger multi-purpose facility. Until Bridgestone was built for decades The Murph was the best indoor facility in the mid-state.
I agree BlueAlpha; not nearly enough has been done to promote this dedication. People all over the state remember him and his teams but will not even know this event is being held.
If you don't know, Coach Earle lost his wife on last Christmas Day. I'm sure tomorrow will be somewhat bittersweet for the Coach.

Regardless of how you feel about the current edition of this basketball program I encourage all of you to come tomorrow for the half-time festivities. Coach Earle deserves a huge show of appreciation.
Leave after half-time if you must, heck I may also depending on how we are playing.

Honor Coach Earle = good.

Organization by AD= par for the course.

Arena name = terrible. How hard would it be to name it simply, Hale-Earle or Earle-Hale Arena? We can’t do anything like normal universities.

I guess, given the complete lack of leadership out of CM, the lack of communication/publicity regarding Coach Earle’s name being added to Monte Hale Arena shouldn’t come as a surprise. After the initial announcement, the only thing I have seen is in the weekly email season ticket holders receive each week. I just checked DNJ.com & GBR.com and nothing.
Even the social media accounts I follow have been silent. Given our record a small crowd would be a given. It’s also the game they invite & recognize former players/coaches/staff. So, unless I missed something, it’s a typical approach by out athletic administration.
I am about 80% finished with a lengthy missive to CM. This gives me one more thing to add. Not that I needed any more ammunition. It’s beyond embarrassing.

I found this tweet and article by a Tennessean reporter of a little interest

The ceremony yesterday was very well done considering the time constraints. Very sorry I couldn't attend the reception in the HOF building after the game. A nice touch was having all the starters giving Coach Early a handshake when they were introduced. Another aspect was having members of Coach Earle's OVC championship Baseball team attend the ceremony in addition to the Basketball Legends. (as an aside - The BB Championship game was played at MT and that is one of only two college BB games I have ever attended - The dugouts were full of water from an earlier rain and Coach Earle was thrown in the water after the victory - a great MT memory for this student at the time).
It was a pity that the crowd was so sparse - The current woes contributed but the lack of publicity for this event is disgraceful. Who the heck is our sports information person? Or do we even have one? I've seen nothing in the Nashville media (plenty on Belmont naming the floor for Byrd yesterday - the TV sports news I saw showed Byrd's dedication but only showed clips of our game indicating that they didn't think the dedication was worth mentioning). I was hoping for a mention in Organ's weekly roundup in the Sunday Tennessean but nothing there this morning.
I have to only wonder if there was even a press release sent to all area media. Who is in charge in The Murph?

Regardless, congratulations to Coach Earle for this well deserved honor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT