ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CNM on Pogue and Big Joe 4-18-2018

Sigh... I want to know about recruiting... How many guys will he sign? When will they sign? What class? JUCO? Freshman? Grad transfer? What positions?

Right there with you MTLynn. The feel good interviews are OK but true fans want to know some details of where we are recruiting for the three available (baring defections) scholarships which is crucial for the program. The first signee, an undersized PF who we may have to count against our scholarship limit for two years in order to get one season of PT, is not encouraging.

Just a little more info about what we're looking for with just a few hints about where we're going to get these players would suffice. You would think that fans would get just a little more than we're getting, both from the interviewers and McDevitt. I'll guarantee you if we were a P5 school with normal media coverage attentive fans would know more.

Yeah, it's been extremely quiet. I honestly would not be surprised if we sign 3 transfers. I'm okay with that as long as at least 2 can play right away.

With that said, I'm not sure Scurry will make that much of a difference. He wasn't that big of a scorer and we need to sign a scorer. We lost about 46 ppg from last year's team so someone needs to make that up.

I was expecting to maybe hold on to at least one of our recruits and we're at ground zero with not too many options in sight other than some UNCA guys he already had targeted. We'll see.

I don't know what I was expecting; I do know what I was hoping for:

I was hoping that whoever the new coach was that he would have the recruiting savvy to hold on to one or more of our previous signees,
I was hoping that he would have a list of recruits in his back pocket, recruits who possibly it would be a stretch to sign at a Big South school but would entertain an offer from MT,
And I was hoping he would show us his recruiting acumen early by some really positive action (and signing Scurry just doesn't do it for me).

I wasn't expecting or hoping for much information to come out about recruiting because of the lack of media and fans (including some fans with inside information). We all know at some places every time a new coach gets on a plane, is seen in a different city, contacts a recruit, etc. it will be all over message boards. It's frustrating being a MT (%$&-major) fan if you desire the same information a UK fan wants, and gets, in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Grad Transfer and JUCOs are way to go this season. Gives staff time to identify and develop relationship with HS recruits.
If a quality HS talent falls into their lap this late then great. If not, fill roster with short term commitments.
Incoming 2019 class should provide a peek into recruiting prowess of staff but 2020 will be first full cycle for them.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT