ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CKD: Interest in program booming

Again, I had my doubts and frustrations over Kermit about 6-9 years ago. I saw his potential in his first couple of years. I thought it was likely that he could get MT to this point where Kermit and team have worked so hard to get the program, just sooner. I became doubtful and critical after about 5 or 6 years into his tenure when Kermit just couldn't seem to get the team to that next level beyond the pretty good and above average in the SunBelt. That disastrous loss to Denver in MT's first game in the SBC Tourney on the home court where MT was finally hosting a conference tournament. In my memory, that was pretty much the moment I identify as becoming skeptical that Kermit couldn't move MT to that next level of winning and success.

It was during those years that I thought MT was capable much winning and success, but they seemed to be generally underachieving. Although, some slight improvements were seen in those years with players such as Yates. Then MT finally had a season that showed some positive signs in competing for the regular season SBC championship. Still no postseason at that point, but it did seem an improvement.

The point of this rambling post btw is to point out I was wrong overall and in the long run. I'm glad to report that I was wrong, and I'm glad Kermit proved doubters such as myself wrong.

I remember the game about 5 years ago that started to turn the corner, at least in my opinion. It was the game that launched the season and soon to be new levels of success. Levels of success I thought possible and hoped for at MT, and I'm really glad to be finally enjoying it after many long years of waiting even before Kermit arrived. The game that seemed to indicate a big change IMO was the season opening win vs Austin Peay when MT had not even been able to beat APSU in ooc games in those recent years. Standing out was a new transfer in Dendy who dominated. With other cast of new players like Marcos Knight, starters from the team's previous fairly successful SunBelt regular season were not even starting in this season's new team. It was then that I started to become hopeful for MT again, albeit cautiously hopefully. That season did not disappoint. It seemed to launch MT into success for the next few seasons not seen in decades at MT.

Things slowed down a little with an inevitable rebuilding season the year before last. Again, MT finished strong in the conference tourney to provide much hope for the future. Who knew what that next season would bring? Heck, at the start of this last season, who knew? At the same time, there were some signs like beating Belmont soundly. Most of the season, MT showed potential with brilliant stretches of games. One sensed that if MT could put together an entire game, they could be scary good. They finally showed that in the first game of the NCAA tournament. Great for MT; not so great for Mich St.

All of that to say that MT really seems in good position to establish itself as a legit highly competitive D1 team even vs P5 programs now. Now just don't lose that momentum as so many ingredients for continued success are in place: Much winning, conf reg season champs, conf tourney champ, good NIT run beating UT, now surging interest in MT bball from D1 prospects, P5 or "major" programs now willing to schedule MT beyond away payday game, AND a stable mature experienced coach who seems to be solidly associated with MT for the long haul. In a conference with a good brand in C-USA, I think it would take one of the elite national programs offering several million $$ a year to possibly lure him away. 15 years of a home and family means a lot to where a small step up in pay and perception just may not be worth it. Plus, Kermit seems to mention often how he and his family love Murfreesboro as home. All of that combined with the hopes that as Kermit has more success, MT can step up his $$$ reward he would deserve.

This long rambling post brought to you by a hopeful fan who is glad to admit I was wrong about Kermit for a few years a number of years ago. I'm really glad to see that Kermit and team seem to finally be at that place where exciting basketball is here, and the sky is the limit now for MT. While not predicting this, I do think it entirely possible that at this level of success over the next year or two MT just might push to crack the Top 25 at some point. At least it seems in the realm of possibility.

Lastly, I expect MT will see some increased national sports media coverage when the bball season starts back up. IIRC, teams in recent years who had big early round upsets would get a lot of media coverage to start the next season. ESPN wanting to cover some of those early ooc games etc etc. Exciting and hopeful times for MT basketball.

I have a small MT football helmet on my desk at work. A lot of people will bring up that win after they see my helmet on my desk. Personally, I think it is cool to be a part of sports history that not every school gets to experience.

Reactions: dukewayne
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT