ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Cunningham

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I dont think it's a foregone conclusion that Hockman is the starter. In the limited clips I've seen, Cunningham has looked like the better man, by far. He is the one moving the chains and throwing dimes.

He's always had a good arm and made good throws. Last year he just didn't have any time behind a terrible OL and he was put into impossible situations where the D was pinning it's ears back because we were trying to throw ourselves back into the game. We had no running game either, so we were so easy to defend when he was in the game.

Don't be surprised if Chase is starting or getting significant playing time in 2021.

The Diliello kid isn't far behind either from what it sounds like. Looks like we are deeper at QB than I initially thought....which is great.

Surely one of them can get this offense going.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
hmmmm,,,

interesting if that's the case...

O'Hara was the starter over Cunningham, but Cunningham ending up starting over Hockman??? That would upset some folks' apple carts...

Reactions: mtfblue
Maybe he is one of those QB’s who just protects the football, spreads it around to his playmakers, and effectively manages the offense. He’s only 5’11” 188 but, like Brent, he played for Steve Matthews in HS and won a bunch of football games.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtfblue
On this topic, it's amazing to me how little info is coming out of fall camp. In the past, we've had beat writer there everyday keeping us up-to-date on who looks good, who needs improvement, etc. Other than a few short videos from GBR every day discussing how everyone is "competing" we have nothing.

Reactions: Raiders_55
On this topic, it's amazing to me how little info is coming out of fall camp. In the past, we've had beat writer there everyday keeping us up-to-date on who looks good, who needs improvement, etc. Other than a few short videos from GBR every day discussing how everyone is "competing" we have nothing.

If I still lived in town I would definitely be at some practices, but I'm not anywhere near Murfreesboro anymore.

Can't help but wonder if there's limited info on purpose. We are breaking in a new OC and have a QB battle going. I'm sure the staff would like to keep it under wraps as much as possible.

I've been saying Chase is a damn good QB for years. He has not been given a legit shot. Asher was favoritism. wTF liked the running qb over a pure passer. Chase can make throws and read coverages way better than Asher could. Check out Chase's game film in H.S. Whoever wins out between Hockman and Cunningham will be a step up at the position. It's a win win for me.

I dont think it's a foregone conclusion that Hockman is the starter. In the limited clips I've seen, Cunningham has looked like the better man, by far. He is the one moving the chains and throwing dimes.

Cunningham has looked good and I'll be honest I liked him over O'Hara as a QB but my assumption was/is that Franklin liked Asher's running ability over Cunningham. Bailey on the flip does a better job of hitting WR's in stride and creates opportunities for WR's to get some YAC. Either QB will be an improvement over Asher.

We had no running game either, so we were so easy to defend when he was in the game.

Just about every time Cunningham entered a game (in '19 and '20) he was in the impossible situation. Usually it was either after Asher had played poorly and the play calls were made already (i.e. Pass). A few times he came in after a Asher injury and I believe he threw a TD pass on every one of those opportunities (I remember two over that time period).

The Diliello kid isn't far behind either from what it sounds like. Looks like we are deeper at QB than I initially thought....which is great.

The tough read on him is he's primarily getting 3rd team reps.

Surely one of them can get this offense going.

The offense is improved, the run game is better and the passing game is improved. I've seen some creative play calling so far and when you look at how we performed last year there are easily three games we could have won with this OC / Players. Once offense starts clicking defense will follow suit, just need to stop putting defense in bad positions and give them the ability to pass rush.

Once offense starts clicking defense will follow suit, just need to stop putting defense in bad positions and give them the ability to pass rush.

I still have a lot of faith in Shafer and this defense. Our defense is stacked with experience and good talent in my opinion. The only question mark is the defensive line because they're younger than the rest of the defense but they are talented. We have arguably the best safety duo in G5 football and I absolutely love Jalen Jackson and Quincy Riley at the corners. They're super underrated IMO and I hope get the recognition they deserve this year.

There's more potential with this team than most realize if our offense can keep the chains moving, limit turnovers, and not put our defense in bad positions.

Special teams has to get better. Much better. We have to cover kicks better, we need to punt better, and we need to find a consistent FG kicker inside 40 yards. Special teams will be the difference between a good season or a great season.

I think Chase fits this offense better than the previous one. I guess the only remaining question is when/if they will name a starter before week 1.

I suspect it will probably be Hockman. Going to be hard for this staff to have the guts to start a walk-on over a 4 star transfer from a P5 school who won a lot of games last year. Chase will have to be head and shoulders better than him and I'm not so sure that's the case.

Bailey was recruited to start. His family was sold on that. I’m not saying Chase doesn’t deserve it, won’t get significant PT or might not take over the job by the season’s end, but Bailey will start against Monmouth.

Given his dad’s coaching status in Georgia HS football, you can’t tell them Bailey can come here to start after he loses his NC St job & then not put him out there game 1. Would essentially destroy the little Atlanta area recruiting we can do.

Bailey was recruited to start. His family was sold on that. I’m not saying Chase doesn’t deserve it, won’t get significant PT or might not take over the job by the season’s end, but Bailey will start against Monmouth.

Given his dad’s coaching status in Georgia HS football, you can’t tell them Bailey can come here to start after he loses his NC St job & then not put him out there game 1. Would essentially destroy the little Atlanta area recruiting we can do.
I believe that to be the case as well. I think this is more about knives sharpening knives. I think Dearmon wants a controversy. He doesn't want Bailey to be comfortable. He wants to push him and it appears that Cunningham is doing just that. I think we are going to be better at that position no matter the outcome. Dearmon's approach and leadership has sparked some energy and this "QB battle" has probably been a part of that.

ADVERTISEMENT