ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Charvarius Ward

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
dallascowboys.com:

Star of the Day: Breakthrough Day For Rookie CB

excerpt:

Mickey Spagnola: In camp, when you are a rookie free agent from no more than Middle Tennessee State, man, you got to do something so everybody knows your name. Well, Saturday, cornerback Charvarius Ward did some doing, putting his name with his No. 40 jersey for really the first time in camp. In a two-on-two passing drill, he made an over-the-head interception of Dak Prescott’s deep throw to Michael Gallup. Then later in a team drill, he had a breakup and also tight coverage on Tavon Austin, basically forcing the incompletion down the sideline. Remember it, No. 40, Charvarius Ward.

Rob Phillips:A week-plus into camp, this is an opportunity for young guys to show they’re deserving of snaps in the first preseason game. Charvarius Ward did that today. He was all over the field as a reserve corner and did an excellent job trailing Tavon Austin on a go-route that fell incomplete. Add an interception off Dak Prescott and another breakup, and this easily was the best day of camp from the rookie free agent out of Middle Tennessee State.

David Helman: Any time a guy on the back end of the depth chart has a great day, I have to take notice. I don’t think I had said the name “Charvarius Ward” more than once or twice during this camp — up until Saturday night, when he took over the practice. The undrafted rookie picked off Dak Prescott during Compete Period, with the entire team watching. He followed that up by tallying two PBU’s during full-team reps against the second-team offense. It’s all about making plays on the ball, and Ward did that a bunch on Saturday.

A short interview with Charvarius Ward:
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/getting-to-know-charvarius-ward

Last edited:
Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 12:16 PM

Scout’s Notebook: Solid Showing In The Secondary

excerpt:

Charvarius Ward once again had another solid day of practice. Ward has shown an ability to defend balls down the field at various points. Today he was able to knock down a pass intended for Lance Lenoir on a curl route. As Lenoir began to come back to the ball, Ward was in his hip pocket knocking the ball away with his left hand.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I recall Keon Raymond having a great camp with the Titans as well. He was averaging an INT per practice. Still didn't make the team. Not sure he even made the practice squad.

Had a great CFL career though.

The five under-the-radar Cowboys you’ll want to watch in preseason opener vs. 49ers

excerpt:

1) Charvarius Ward, CB | 6-1, 200

Ward has been modest about his performance so far, calling it only "pretty decent." But in terms of turning in flash plays, he's had one of the best camps of any player on the roster. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Middle Tennessee State has routinely gotten his hands on passes in both team and one-on-one periods.

He provided one of the top defensive highlights of camp on Saturday when he intercepted a Dak Prescott deep ball intended for Michael Gallup in one-on-one drills. Ward stayed step-for-step with Gallup, caught the ball over his shoulder, pushed Gallup to the ground and then cut back up field.

"That helped boost my confidence a lot," Ward said of the play. "I feel like I have a lot of potential. I can make a lot of plays on the ball, create a lot of turnovers."

Depending on how many corners the Cowboys keep - either five or six - Ward could be battling Marquez White, another player on this list, for one of the final roster spots.

After the Bowl win. I got to go down to the field and meet him. Charvarius is a great young man. He was nice enough to take a picture with my godson and had a great attitude. He also played a great game that night as ASU constantly picked on him and he held strong.

He's a hard worker and has the tools to be a good player for Dallas. I hope he makes the cut or the practice squad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT