Friday, November 25 5:00 p.m. Evansville vs. Toledo
Friday, November 25 7:30 p.m. Middle Tennessee vs. UNC Wilmington
Saturday, November 26 5:00 p.m. UNC Wilmington vs. Evansville
Saturday, November 26 7:30 p.m. Toledo vs. Middle Tennessee
Sunday, November 27 3:00 p.m. Toledo vs. UNC Wilmington
Sunday, November 27 5:30 p.m. Middle Tennessee vs. Evansville

15025550_1287569831284844_2057114068564995329_o.jpg

Last edited:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Four mid-major men’s basketball teams will meet for six games of action during Thanksgiving weekend in the third annual Challenge In Music City at Nashville Municipal Auditorium, Nov. 25-27.

The three-day event will feature 2015-16 NCAA Tournament contenders Middle Tennessee State University and North Carolina Wilmington, as well as the University of Evansville and the University of Toledo. The format for the Challenge In Music City is round-robin with each team getting three games. MTSU, located just 30 miles away from the auditorium, will be the closest team and first in-state team to play in the Challenge.

On Friday, Evansville will meet Toledo and Middle Tennessee will meet UNC Willmington to tip off the tournament. Evansville will then meet UNC Wilmington on Saturday and MTSU on Sunday, with Toledo facing MTSU Saturday and UNC-Wilmington Sunday.

Tickets are $20 general admission per day at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium box office or online at Ticketmaster.com.

Mercer swept the 2015 Challenge in Music City live on the American Sports Network. The inaugural Challenge in Music City, featuring a bracket format, was in 2014. Valparaiso ran the table to beat Drake, Murray State and Portland to claim the three-day event title. Portland finished 2-1, Murray State was 1-2 and Drake 0-3.

Evansville redshirt-senior David Howard, formerly of Montgomery Bell Academy, is the only Nashville native competing in the tournament. Howard, who leads Evansville in rebounding with 7.0 per game, lettered four years at Montgomery Bell, where he was a Mr. Basketball nominee as a senior. Former MTSU Blue Raider JaQuel Richmond, a redshirt-sophomore guard for UNCW, will also make his return to the Nashville area. The Greensboro, N.C. native, appeared in 27 games and started 13 for MTSU in 2014-15.

Each year, teams also receive an additional home or away game on their schedule as part of the Challenge In Music City agreement. MTSU will host Toledo on Nov. 22 at 7 p.m., Evansville will host Wabash on Nov. 30 and UNC Wilmington will host Pfeiffer on Dec. 3.

Fans can follow the tournament via twitter @MusicCityBball and Facebook: Challenge In Music City.

SCHEDULE OF GAMES AT MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM
Friday, Nov. 25
5:00 p.m. – Evansville vs. Toledo
7:30 p.m. – Middle Tennessee vs. UNC Wilmington
Saturday, Nov. 26
5:00 p.m. – UNC Wilmington vs. Evansville
7:30 p.m. – Toledo vs. Middle Tennessee
Sunday, Nov. 27
3:00 p.m. – Toledo vs. UNC Wilmington
5:30 p.m. – Middle Tennessee vs. Evansville

MEET THE TEAMS

University of Evansville Purple Aces
Evansville, Ind. – Enrollment 2,822
2016-16: 0-1
2015-16: 25-9 (12-6 Missouri Valley Conference – 2nd)
Head Coach: Marty Simmons (Evansville ’87)
Record at UE: 151-144 (10th season)
Website: GoPurpleAces.com | Twitter: @UEAthletics, @UEAthletics_MBB
Evansville is coming off one of its best seasons in its NCAA Division I program history, matching its 1988-89 win total with a 25-9 record and finishing runner-up in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. The Purple Aces finished the season on the bubble for the NIT. Evansville finished 2015-16 ranked in the Top 10 in the NCAA for assists per game (17.5) and field goal percentage (49.0). The Purple Aces are 4-5 all-time against teams in this year’s Challenge, with a 1-1 record against Middle Tennessee State in 2010. Evansville last played Toledo in 1989, holding a 3-4 mark against the Rockets dating back to 1965. It will be the first-ever meeting between Evansville and UNC-Wilmington.

Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders
Murfreesboro, Tenn. – Enrollment 22,511
2016-17: 1-0
2015-16: 25-10 (13-5 Conference USA – 1st)
Head Coach: Kermit Davis (Mississippi State ’82)
Record at MTSU: 277-175 (15th Season)
MTSU will be making its first of three trips to Nashville this fall for non-conference games. The Blue Raiders are coming off one of their most successful seasons in school history, claiming the third-most wins in a season (25) and winning its fifth conference title in the last seven seasons. MTSU claimed the Conference USA title and went on to upset No. 2 seed Michigan State, 90-81, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in St. Louis. No. 10 seed and Final Four contender Syracuse ended MTSU’s run in the second round. The Blue Raiders also set records for 3-pointers made in a game (16) and season (279) and posted program Top 5 season performances in total points (2,539) and blocked shots (123). MTSU will meet UNC Wilmington for the first time in program history and is 1-1 all-time against Evansville and 2-1 against Toledo, including a Thanksgiving weekend win last season in the Great Alaska Shootout. MTSU will also host Toledo on Nov. 22 for a game prior to the tournament at Municipal.

University of North Carolina Wilmington

Wilmington, N.C. – Enrollment 13,261
2016-17: 1-0
2015-16: 25-8 (14-4 Colonial Athletic Association – 1st)
Head Coach: Kevin Keatts (Ferrum ’96)
Record at UNCW: 44-22 (3rd season)
Website: UNCWsports.com | Twitter: @UNCWAthletics, @UNCWmenshoops
UNCW set a school-record of wins in 2015-16 en route to a 25-8 final record and Colonial Athletic Association regular season and tournament titles. Nineteen program records fell during the season, including the record for most consecutive wins (11). The Seahawks swept through the CAA Tournament to claim its first conference title since 2006 and an NCAA Tournament bid. Duke ended their run, 93-85, in the opening round of the Providence, Rhode Island regional. Head Coach Kevin Keatts was named the CAA Coach of the Year and NABC District 10 Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season. The Seahawks will be meeting MTSU and Evansville for the first time in program history, but are 2-2 all-time against Toledo.

University of Toledo Rockets

Toledo, Ohio – Enrollment 20,325
2016-17: 0-1
2015-16: 17-5 (8-10 Mid-America Conference – 9th)
Head Coach: Tod Kowalczyk (Minnesota-Duluth, ’89)
Record at Toledo: 102-83 (7th season)
Website: UTRockets.com | Twitter: @ToledoRockets, @ToledoMBB
Toledo is looking to build off a transition year in 2015-16, which saw six new players in a program that won the Mid-American Conference title two years prior. The Rockets’ season came to a close in early March following consecutive losses to Eastern Michigan, including one in the first round of the MAC Tournament. Toledo finished the season with a school record for 3-pointers made and attempted. Toledo is the only team to have previously played all three Challenge opponents in program history. The Rockets are 4-3 all-time against Evansville, 1-2 against MTSU and 2-2 against UNCW.

Last edited:
Thx Space, I was gone for 5 years in New England so didn't see any games that year and didn't remember him. Moved back in June of 2015...

IIRC he was originally committed (signed?) with Houston and when that staff left and Ronnie Hamilton ended up on Kermit's staff, he landed here.

excerpt:

...In the final match-up of the weekend, the Aces face Middle Tennessee State. The squads have met just twice in their histories with each team winning on their home floor, including an 81-79 UE win in 2010. MTSU is 2-1 with wins over Milligan College and Murray State; they play host to Toledo on Tuesday night. Their leading scorer is JaCorey Williams, who has recorded 20.3 PPG.

The series between Evansville and Middle Tennessee State is always an emotional one as MTSU was the scheduled opponent when the plane carrying the Aces team to the game crashed shortly after takeoff at Dress Regional Airport in Evansville on Dec. 13, 1977. All aboard the plane were killed and are honored in the UE Athletics Hall of Fame as well as an on-campus memorial at UE....

goblueraiders.com:
http://goblueraiders.com/news/2016/...rs-preparing-for-challenge-in-music-city.aspx
RAIDERS PREPARING FOR CHALLENGE IN MUSIC CITY

GAME INFORMATION
(Game Notes)

Hashtag: #TrueBlue, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: @MT_MBB
Instagram: MT_MBB
Facebook:MTSUMBB

Date: Friday-Sunday, November 25-27
Time: 7:30 p.m. CT Friday and Saturday, 5:30 p.m. CT Sunday
Teams: Middle Tennessee (3-1) vs. UNC Wilmington (3-0), Toledo (2-2) and Evansville (2-1)
Stadium: Nashville Municipal Auditorium

Live Stats
MT vs. UNCW | MT vs. Toledo | MT vs. Evansville

I hope for a sweep, but will be hard. Wilmington is a strong team. I bet we are underdogs in that game, although haven't seen the line.

Municipal Auditorium? Didn't expect that but probably a more appropriate venue than Bridgestone.

Municipal Auditorium? Didn't expect that but probably a more appropriate venue than Bridgestone.

I am surprised that this event is apparently in at least its third year. I had never heard of it until MT was placed in it. Can't imagine that it's been successful enough to have a second year, much less a third.

Richmond was the highest rated among the four freshman guards that year (along with Potts, Ivory, and Simpson) and was just beginning to show his ability when he suddenly left. IIRC we never knew why he left - not even any rumors. IIRC had he become a "fit" for the MT program the point guard position would be solidified at this point and our team would be the better for it.

As for this tournament. I never heard of it either and I try to keep up. The Nashville media must not pay any attention to it (shock, shock). You can be sure that if a $EC team was involved the media would be all over it. In addition, I guess I just don't know what the role of the Nashville Sports Council is. I thought they promoted any and all events which bring sports fans to Nashville. I guess not.

Last edited:
It may be sponsored by ASN but none of the games are listed as being on the website schedule.

With the FB game being on beIN Sports and the Nashville BkB games not being found listed anywhere will fans who are not able to make all of these events be able to watch any MT sports on TV this long weekend?

Something doesn't jive in the Star News article on Richmond. Reading the article you would think he was a huge contributor and when he left everything was hunky-dorey. Yes, he played 25 min. in the win against WKU and was showing promise as a PG of the future (his best overall outing IIRC). But that was the 28th game of the 33 game season and he never played again so he damn-sure didn't have 36 appearances or 29 starts.

Water over the dam but this 3 star (we get so few of those) player leaving the squad in the middle of the season so he could play closer to home. I don't think so.

Reactions: subkyle
Something doesn't jive in the Star News article on Richmond. Reading the article you would think he was a huge contributor and when he left everything was hunky-dorey. Yes, he played 25 min. in the win against WKU and was showing promise as a PG of the future (his best overall outing IIRC). But that was the 28th game of the 33 game season and he never played again so he damn-sure didn't have 36 appearances or 29 starts.

Water over the dam but this 3 star (we get so few of those) player leaving the squad in the middle of the season so he could play closer to home. I don't think so.

I am so glad you said something about this. I barely remembered his name at first. I do remember being excited when he signed, but I also remember that he didn't get much playing time like the article said. Sounds to me like the author of the article got his facts from Richmond.

Richmond's 2014-15 stats according to the article:

As a freshman, Richmond played a big role at MTSU, averaging 7.6 points and 3.1 rebounds over 36 appearances. He led the 2014-15 squad in starts (29), steals (36), assists (75) and free throw percentage (82.7).

Richmond's official stats from the 2014-15 season:

13 starts in 27 total appearances, 16.7 minutes per game, shot 29.6% from the field, 3.4 points per game. The article did at least get his free throw percentage correct. This looks bad on the reporter's part.

Explain once again to this senile old-timer why C-USA is not in the mid-major poll and name just a few of the other non "power" and non "mid-major" conferences we are allegedly similar to.

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders square off with the UNC Wilmington Seahawks in college basketball action on Friday.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders bounced from a loss to Tennessee State to knock off Toledo 80-70 as a three point favorite on Tuesday to up their record to 3-1. The Blue Raiders controlled this one by 13 heading to the locker room on the way to a comfortable victory. The Blue Raiders limited the Rockets to 43% and countered with red hot 51.5% accuracy which equated to a decisive ten more field goals. The MTSU duo of JaCorey Williams and Reggie Upshaw were a powerful one, two punch with 18 points and 16 points respectively while combining for eleven rebounds. Tyrik Gibson and Edward Simpson combined for 20 points as the Blue Raiders were both explosive and balanced.

The North Carolina-Wilmington Seahawks were the best team in the Colonial a year ago and from where I sit it doesn’t seem as if much has changed. The Seahawks improved to 3-0 following a 68-59 win versus a pretty good East Tennessee State club on Sunday as they made a 12 point; lead heading to the locker room hold up. The Buccaneers were held to 44% from the floor while UNCW connected at 48% which equaled a few more baskets and makes at the charity stripe with the Seahawks also forcing 19 turnovers. Devontae Cacok paced the UNC-Wilmington offense with 17 points and eight boards on 8-9 with 15 points and eleven rebounds coming from Chris Flemmings while CJ Bryce and JaQuel Richmond added 13 and 12 points respectively.

The under is 8-3 in Middle Tennessee last 11 overall.....

is this on TV or streaming anywhere? would love to watch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT