ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Canadian (Montreal) tournament

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt:

There were supposed to be eight teams participating in the Northern Classic, multi-team exempt (MTE) tournament at Place Bell Nov. 25-27, but it might be scaled back to six teams.

MTE tournaments allow teams to play a few extra games above the NCAA limit of 28 regular-season games. There are more than 60 MTEs on the schedule with exotic venues like Cancun, Montego Bay, the Bahamas, Hawaii and London.

The Montreal event came together after all the schools in the major conferences had committed to other events. The current lineup feature six schools from mid-major conferences — UC Irvine, Quinnipiac, New Hampshire, Stephen F. Austin, UNC-Greensboro and Middle Tennessee State.

One reason I became a fan when a student, perhaps the primary reason, was that MT was D-1 in BkB, was in a top 10 conference at the time, and OVC basketball was as competitive as any in the area.
Pre-season and holiday invitational tournaments gave a $#&-major team the opportunity to play a more widely known team, often on a neutral floor. Now apparently the only tournaments available are exclusively for %$&-majors and are fill time for various TV networks.
When coupled with the inability to get a "name" opponent for the 50th anniversary game for Murphy Center it is clear that MT and similar schools are no longer true D-1 programs.
MT is losing ground quickly as is my interest in MT athletics. Sad to say goodby to the hobby of a lifetime.

I don't get only being a fan because MT is D1. Why not be a fan because that is where you went to school or that is where you watched games as a kid? MT will never be top tier if you compare them to power conference schools. They may be able to compete with them in every other sport besides football most of the time, but we lack in money and fan support. I always think Tennessee fans are delusional, but no matter how bad they are in football they still mostly fill a stadium of over 100k people. It is not just our inept leadership that is the cause of this. It is also the attitude that if a team is not on the top tier, they are not worthy of being a fan.

I don't get only being a fan because MT is D1. Why not be a fan because that is where you went to school or that is where you watched games as a kid? MT will never be top tier if you compare them to power conference schools. They may be able to compete with them in every other sport besides football most of the time, but we lack in money and fan support. I always think Tennessee fans are delusional, but no matter how bad they are in football they still mostly fill a stadium of over 100k people. It is not just our inept leadership that is the cause of this. It is also the attitude that if a team is not on the top tier, they are not worthy of being a fan.

That is my thought. I get remarks all the time for WVU not being my #1 team when they are a "real" team (who should've played for a NC had Rich Rod not tanked the '07 Pitt game).

I absolutely pull for WVU, scream, cry, go to games often, have tons of shirts, but I can guarantee if WVU and MT ever played, I'd be pulling for MT. I spent 4 years on that campus. Just because we may never win a NC, or be ranked often, or even if we dropped to FCS, I'll always be MT #1.

I don't understand people who don't feel that way.

That tournament is a solid mid major line up. All of those schools usually are pretty competitive in their respective leagues. UNCG and Stephen F Austin in particular are very good programs. We will be lucky to win or even make the championship game of the tournament considering our program isn't what it used to be.

Last year was a step in the right direction but we still have a ways to go.

Reactions: ewglenn
Has anyone ever wondered why we don't attempt tournaments such as this...
We have several major industries based locally and several other's with national appeal....
State Farm...
Cracker Barrel...
Dollar General...
Kroger...
SouthWest Airlines (Regional Hub)...

We have several major industries based locally and several other's with national appeal....
State Farm...
Cracker Barrel...
Dollar General...
Kroger...
have the week of the music city bowl

A brief defense of my belief that I wouldn't have been a life-long MT fan if we hadn't been D-1 in BkB.

I do respect those who are fans of their school and remain loyal regardless of the level of play. Loyalty is an admirable character trait in anyone and one that I value highly, realizing that sometimes loyalty can be misplaced or held onto too long when conditions change.

Regardless, I won't go into details but because of my background I have to believe that MT men's Bkb being D1 was a huge factor in my fandom of MT, indeed it could be the reason I keep up with sports at all.
I can imagine that I could easily have become one of the legions who don't follow sports at all and who don't understand those of us who do and who express contempt for all things related to "sportsball".

Reactions: crposton
State Farm...
Cracker Barrel...
Dollar General...
Kroger...

In the '16-'17 season Kermit brought in several quality %$&-major teams for the "Challenge in Music City" held in Municipal Auditorium. Remember the almost complete lack of media coverage and the dismal attendance.

Perhaps a major sponsor would have helped but it seems as if nothing has a chance in the area without the endorsement of the Nashville Sports Council and they only want to promote premier events. Gotta get their hand in so they can pay the half-million dollar salary of Scott Ramsey.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
In the '16-'17 season Kermit brought in several quality %$&-major teams for the "Challenge in Music City" held in Municipal Auditorium. Remember the almost complete lack of media coverage and the dismal attendance.

Perhaps a major sponsor would have helped but it seems as if nothing has a chance in the area without the endorsement of the Nashville Sports Council and they only want to promote premier events. Gotta get their hand in so they can pay the half-million dollar salary of Scott Ramsey.
If you guys have yet to figure out, Middle Tennessee athletics is a mere afterthought.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT