ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL C-USA officials to meet Wednesday as landscape for football season continues to shift

Why push the schedule back to 09/26 in order to line up with the SEC?

the G5 would be better served playing opposite the P5.

It's not about the football or eyes on your product at this point.

Any league planning to play is taking heat right now. By lining up with the SEC, CUSA is taking cover.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Yeah courage and true leadership means you make tough decisions in the face of a mob mentality that wants to ignore the truth and facts of the situation and do what's necessary to protect the people that are a part of the system/organization. Right now the only true leadership we've seen has come from the MAC, Pac 12 and Big 10 who recognize that putting people's health and safety at risk to play a game is unconscionable.

Courage and true leadership are rare traits in "leaders" these days.

I guess it depends upon how one identifies "courage" and "leadership" but in my opinion I saw several public figures show quite a bit of both yesterday.

Yeah courage and true leadership means you make tough decisions in the face of a mob mentality that wants to ignore the truth and facts of the situation and do what's necessary to protect the people that are a part of the system/organization. Right now the only true leadership we've seen has come from the MAC, Pac 12 and Big 10 who recognize that putting people's health and safety at risk to play a game is unconscionable.

Personally feel the "mob mentality" is on the "let's cancel everything and kill what is left of the economy"...all for a 99.6% survival rate pandemic...but this is just me.

Personally feel the "mob mentality" is on the "let's cancel everything and kill what is left of the economy"...all for a 99.6% survival rate pandemic...but this is just me.

116716200_10221325488583382_3256532374713290924_n.jpg

College football isn't going to cause the fall of the US economy. Hell, Apple is worth more now than it's ever been and worth more than most countries by itself. You all act like if we just take some basic precautions the U.S. is going to go back to the stone age.

And by the way, your 99.6% survival rate would mean about about 1.5 million deaths in the U.S. alone if it were to be allowed to run its course through all of society (sans a vaccine which we will hopefully get early next year). But I guess that's ok with you??

And FWIW, that's just the morbidity factor. BB007, can you tell me what the long term impacts are from contracting it even if you don't die? Can any of you tell us the long term impacts? Because, this ain't the flu. It's a systemic virus that causes some people to have body parts amputated, some to have their lungs become mush, and some just can't smell for a few days. That said, what we're starting to see is that some of those young healthy adults that have minimal symptoms that everyone wants to point to as not being at risk, they are developing scarring of the heart. And that means for some won't be able to play sports because of it. What athlete wants that for something that could have been prevented if our society wasn't so f'n selfish? Or those that otherwise would have had a life expectancy of 74 years has a heart attack early and now only lives to 54. So, if anyone here can tell me what the long term impacts are going to be please let me know, and I will shut up.

Reactions: MTTim
Uhh...didn't say that football was causing the fall of the economy. Just another decision made by "experts" like Fauci that have been about 90% wrong since the beginning of this fiasco...people that tell us what we "must or must not do" and then do as they like...such as being seen in public not wearing masks they require of us peasants. And I can't determine the long term impact of many things...like driving in Murfreesboro and putting my life in the hands of idiot drivers. And if players want to opt out...then let them. Likely safer playing football than many other things they will do.

Uhh...didn't say that football was causing the fall of the economy. Just another decision made by "experts" like Fauci that have been about 90% wrong since the beginning of this fiasco...people that tell us what we "must or must not do" and then do as they like...such as being seen in public not wearing masks they require of us peasants. And I can't determine the long term impact of many things...like driving in Murfreesboro and putting my life in the hands of idiot drivers. And if players want to opt out...then let them. Likely safer playing football than many other things they will do.

Well, that’s a complete fabrication. It blows my mind that people will listen to pundits who say Fauci has been 90% wrong but instead will put their faith in pundits who literally have no f’n clue what they are talking about. What the hell has happened? I feel like I’ve been transported to the Twilight Zone where up is down and down is fuzzballs.

People aren’t telling you what to do. The worlds foremost experts are providing guidance as we learn more because your decisions can negatively affect others. As I have said before using your own driving your car analogy. You don’t have the right to get drunk, get behind the wheel, and kill someone in a crash.

The bottom line here is that if your decision only affected you then everything you said makes perfect sense. But that’s not the case. The more we do things like force people to do something like play ball the more this is going to spread. That’s a mere fact that we know will happen. Just go look at the asinine decisions in schools systems in places that have already started like Georgia. We can handle the short term pain for the long term gain. It’s not that big of a deal to take some basic precautions to limit spreading this. Cheers.

Last edited:
FWIW, this from the head of the CDC - who by the way is as Republican and conservative as they come.

"For your country right now and for the war that we're in against Covid, I'm asking you to do four simple things: wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and be smart about crowds. I'm not asking some of America to do it," he told WebMD. "We all gotta do it."

This could be "the worst fall, from a public health perspective, we've ever had," Dr. Redfield warned. "It's dependent on how the American people choose to respond.”

College football isn't going to cause the fall of the US economy. Hell, Apple is worth more now than it's ever been and worth more than most countries by itself. You all act like if we just take some basic precautions the U.S. is going to go back to the stone age.

And by the way, your 99.6% survival rate would mean about about 1.5 million deaths in the U.S. alone if it were to be allowed to run its course through all of society (sans a vaccine which we will hopefully get early next year). But I guess that's ok with you??

And FWIW, that's just the morbidity factor. BB007, can you tell me what the long term impacts are from contracting it even if you don't die? Can any of you tell us the long term impacts? Because, this ain't the flu. It's a systemic virus that causes some people to have body parts amputated, some to have their lungs become mush, and some just can't smell for a few days. That said, what we're starting to see is that some of those young healthy adults that have minimal symptoms that everyone wants to point to as not being at risk, they are developing scarring of the heart. And that means for some won't be able to play sports because of it. What athlete wants that for something that could have been prevented if our society wasn't so f'n selfish? Or those that otherwise would have had a life expectancy of 74 years has a heart attack early and now only lives to 54. So, if anyone here can tell me what the long term impacts are going to be please let me know, and I will shut up.

Covid Deaths are tragic. So are car deaths. Lets ban all cars, right?

Life has inherent risks.

Ships are safest in the harbor, but are meant for the sea.

Covid Deaths are tragic. So are car deaths. Lets ban all cars, right?

Life has inherent risks.

Ships are safest in the harbor, but are meant for the sea.

Might be the dumbest analogy I've seen so far. Well done.

Whatever you say bruh. I didn’t say he couldn’t have an opinion. But - you know - he just compared the necessity of a car to a virus. I didn’t know I needed a virus but I’m sure you agree with him since it fits your ideology instead of the known facts.

Explain why you disagree.

Before I do that, be honest. Do you really care? Because if you don't I'm not going to waste my time. I've wasted it enough here as it is, but if you genuinely want to know I will answer.

Before I do that, be honest. Do you really care? Because if you don't I'm not going to waste my time. I've wasted it enough here as it is, but if you genuinely want to know I will answer.

I appreciate that question actually. Most people just want to argue and belittle. Genuine discussion is super beneficial.

So, yes. I care. May not agree afterwards, but thats the beauty of open dialogue. Not "Might be the dumbest analogy I've seen so far". That is petty and shuts the Overton window.

And before you argue the merits of my statement being "a virus vs the necessity of a car", it is the basic premise of inherent risks in life. We can stay in our house and never leave....as we have been doing....and be super safe, but that is not a life lived. There will be a vaccine one day, but you and I both know we are not merely months away.

Life is risky.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Who's the one saying no one has a right to drink and drive as the analogy? Then you call someone stupid for responding similarly to your analogy. Yet people are doing it all the time and dying, but our country isn't trying to shut down driving.

How many people die each year in car crashes? 30,000? 40,000? So, 35,000 deaths is ok and not worth disrupting the economy? At what number of deaths from any cause becomes too many to which me must shut down our economy and end civil rights?

This isn't just about some mild inconveniences, peoples' lives are being destroyed and the Constitution shredded.

Usually the ones calling people selfish are the ones not thrown out of work and still receiving their income. Meanwhile, people are seeing their businesses destroyed while they are deemed non-essential while at the same time international corps are essential and making more billions.

There may be legit concern about the long term impact of this virus. Where has the outrage or concern and calls to shut down the sport been around here regarding football players' long term health been regarding CTE? People are dying from CTE. What about the destroyed knees? The ruined shoulders? Ankle injuries? Spinal cord injuries? All happen from football. Countless former football players have severe health problems by their 40s due to the long term impact of the sport. If we are talking the long term impact on the players, let's put it all on the table. Why pick and choose what is convenient?

Personally, I never saw my grandfather walk when I came along as a kid in the 1970s. My grandfather was a football star out in Texas in his youth in the 1930s. His knees were so damaged that he couldn't walk by middle age. I haven't seen the public outcry, demands, or calls to shutdown the sport over those serious long term health problems for him or countless others with similar football injuries. Football has never been a sport or activity without serious health repercussions.

What our society has done is try to mitigate those hazards best they can while still moving forward with life eg, improved helmets, eliminating shots to the head, etc etc

And for the record, I strongly oppose trying to force anyone to play. It should be the person's choice.

Massaro said they are ‘leaning’ toward no tailgating for early season games. That’s the only reason I even come to games,

Massaro said they are ‘leaning’ toward no tailgating for early season games. That’s the only reason I even come to games,

I'm fine with no tailgating at all this season. Saves me lots of time and money I can use elsewhere. For two decades or more following Blue Raider football when Boots was coaching, came to the stadium for football games only.

I appreciate that question actually. Most people just want to argue and belittle. Genuine discussion is super beneficial.

So, yes. I care. May not agree afterwards, but thats the beauty of open dialogue. Not "Might be the dumbest analogy I've seen so far". That is petty and shuts the Overton window.

And before you argue the merits of my statement being "a virus vs the necessity of a car", it is the basic premise of inherent risks in life. We can stay in our house and never leave....as we have been doing....and be super safe, but that is not a life lived. There will be a vaccine one day, but you and I both know we are not merely months away.

Life is risky.

Fair enough and my apology for that characterization earlier.

One of the things I used to write about and actually taught public health departments all over the country is predicated on how we communicate about risks in a public health emergency. The same thing I referenced previously that CDC is general is very good about but has failed in a significant way twice in the last 20 years. The first was the Anthrax attacks in 2001 and the second is this current event. When you are comparing risks (and granted I know we are just on a message board shooting the shit here) it’s something we train leaders on to be very careful about, because it’s almost impossible to make a fair apples to apples comparison when drawing an analogy. Yes, we accept risk every day as per normal part of life but people often make poor choices because they fail to assess the risk appropriately. Let’s go back to 9/11 and use the car analogy again. Add in how people travel particularly for longer trips. After 9/11 people stopped flying on airplanes in the following year out of terrorism fears. The real threat had passed. AQ wasn’t going to achieve that same operation again. So more people drove. That following year more than 2000 additional vehicle deaths occurred beyond a normal year because more people drove instead flying.

So, to bring this back to where we are now the comparative here is the virus is the car. Because what we are comparing is which “risk” could harm or kill. Me getting into the car to go to work is a necessity of life because we all have to do what we gotta do to provide. There is no inherent benefit to acquiring a virus that the human body has never fought before. So, the risk calculus is very, very different and thus the analogy fails to meet that already tough to meet apples to apples comparison.

And when we expand this out further failing to take the precautions that Dr. Redfield laid out (masks, distancing, avoiding being grouped together, etc.) assures us that we - as a society - will keep this going. Not only will we keep it going we will keep going in the worst way possible. I was tempted there to draw an analogy but very difficult to do. Anyway, that’s a problem multiplied, because there is simply no protection. Those who get it are either lucky or they are not but every single one of us who refuses to do all we can to minimize the spread is creating a worse situation weeks/months down the road. We are magnifying and enhancing the risk to everyone else around by saying well this is just another risk to add to the pot. But it’s more than just another risk, because it’s communicable. It isn’t heart disease or cancer which has an entirely different prevention requirement. It’s preventable through some really simple but uncomfortable measures. And that doesn’t mean we have to shut down everything but it does mean to achieve the goal of limiting spread until we do have a vaccine or a viable treatment, we have to make sacrifices. When it flares up in (pick your state) because of refusal to make some minor sacrifices, we’ve seen daily covid deaths outpace every single other COD. That shouldn’t happen from a communicable disease - not in a first world nation like ours - especially since we know how it transmits and spreads. Even one without a treatment. Bottom line and final point regarding the analogy. This isn’t exactly a normal situation. Just look at the extreme lengths MT is doing in a effort to try to prevent it from entering the football facility. Meetings outside? Masks required. Ice buckets spread across the football concourse. They aren’t doing that just for liability. Let that sink in for a moment what they are trying to achieve. If the risk was no different than driving a car then surely we wouldn’t need all that. I consider driving a normal routine part of life. There is nothing normal about this and if the rest of society would exercise the same caution as the athletic dept we wouldn’t be staring down the barrel of 200K deaths. I understand people are going to disagree but it’s really hard for me to understand why. Like Dr. Redfield said, we need to do this for our country and our fellow man. If for nothing else just to be a solid citizen and good human being. In my book preventing my neighbor from getting this potentially deadly virus is as patriotic as anything we could do right now.

That’s my 2 cents. Take it fwiw.

Reactions: MTTim and BlueAlpha

One of the things I used to write about and actually taught public health departments all over the country is predicated on how we communicate about risks in a public health emergency. The same thing I referenced previously that CDC is general is very good about but has failed in a significant way twice in the last 20 years. The first was the Anthrax attacks in 2001 and the second is this current event. When you are comparing risks (and granted I know we are just on a message board shooting the shit here) it’s something we train leaders on to be very careful about, because it’s almost impossible to make a fair apples to apples comparison when drawing an analogy. Yes, we accept risk every day as per normal part of life but people often make poor choices because they fail to assess the risk appropriately. Let’s go back to 9/11 and use the car analogy again. Add in how people travel particularly for longer trips. After 9/11 people stopped flying on airplanes in the following year out of terrorism fears. The real threat had passed. AQ wasn’t going to achieve that same operation again. So more people drove. That following year more than 2000 additional vehicle deaths occurred beyond a normal year because more people drove instead flying.

So, to bring this back to where we are now the comparative here is the virus is the car. Because what we are comparing is which “risk” could harm or kill. Me getting into the car to go to work is a necessity of life because we all have to do what we gotta do to provide. There is no inherent benefit to acquiring a virus that the human body has never fought before. So, the risk calculus is very, very different and thus the analogy fails to meet that already tough to meet apples to apples comparison.

And when we expand this out further failing to take the precautions that Dr. Redfield laid out (masks, distancing, avoiding being grouped together, etc.) assures us that we - as a society - will keep this going. Not only will we keep it going we will keep going in the worst way possible. I was tempted there to draw an analogy but very difficult to do. Anyway, that’s a problem multiplied, because there is simply no protection. Those who get it are either lucky or they are not but every single one of us who refuses to do all we can to minimize the spread is creating a worse situation weeks/months down the road. We are magnifying and enhancing the risk to everyone else around by saying well this is just another risk to add to the pot. But it’s more than just another risk, because it’s communicable. It isn’t heart disease or cancer which has an entirely different prevention requirement. It’s preventable through some really simple but uncomfortable measures. And that doesn’t mean we have to shut down everything but it does mean to achieve the goal of limiting spread until we do have a vaccine or a viable treatment, we have to make sacrifices. When it flares up in (pick your state) because of refusal to make some minor sacrifices, we’ve seen daily covid deaths outpace every single other COD. That shouldn’t happen from a communicable disease - not in a first world nation like ours - especially since we know how it transmits and spreads. Even one without a treatment. Bottom line and final point regarding the analogy. This isn’t exactly a normal situation. Just look at the extreme lengths MT is doing in a effort to try to prevent it from entering the football facility. Meetings outside? Masks required. Ice buckets spread across the football concourse. They aren’t doing that just for liability. Let that sink in for a moment what they are trying to achieve. If the risk was no different than driving a car then surely we wouldn’t need all that. I consider driving a normal routine part of life. There is nothing normal about this and if the rest of society would exercise the same caution as the athletic dept we wouldn’t be staring down the barrel of 200K deaths. I understand people are going to disagree but it’s really hard for me to understand why. Like Dr. Redfield said, we need to do this for our country and our fellow man. If for nothing else just to be a solid citizen and good human being. In my book preventing my neighbor from getting this potentially deadly virus is as patriotic as anything we could do right now.

Thank you for taking the time to elucidate your views on the matter. As someone who frequently writes lengthy (admittedly too lengthy) posts, I understand that it does require more time and effort in an otherwise busy day.

As I alluded to in another folder around here, I want to hear what others may know or why they may have formulated an opinion, especially from those whose jobs might put them in good position to pick up good information. If someone tries to get info in the old traditional ways like media, good information is scarce with added political grenades and bombs. So, I'm glad for opportunities to learn of information from what people may have to offer.

I really do believe that most if not all on here legitimately would like to have football this fall without any harm to players as folks are needing some R&R from the pressure cooker that 2020 has become.

Watching the last couple of web video updates from the athletic dept has actually increased my appreciation of the job MT athletics is trying to get done under difficult circumstances. I think they really are trying to do the best they can to be safe for the players. I appreciate the players, coaches, and admin putting it on the line for what I believe is really a good community service. That is trying to give us in the community some enjoyment, recreation, distraction, or even escape for a few hours a week from an otherwise difficult and stressful time.

While I've been eager to throw in my complaints about past seasons records and performance, the staff and admin deserve some credit here for continuing to try to move forward the best that they can in difficult circumstances. I'm glad MT and C-USA are least trying to press forward smartly. Just as I want the best for myself and my family, I also want the best for my neighbors or fellow countrymen to put it another way. If they start playing the season and things do go south, it would be understandable to make alterations or even shut things down if people are really being harmed. I respect that at least to this point that they are willing and trying to make a go of things.

Reactions: MT01
I can't wait to see what the history books say about all of this. The United States saw 80k dealths by influenza alone in 2017-2018 and that was during winter of one year and that is with vaccinations. Oh, and people lose arms, legs, fingers, all kinds of sh!t from the flu. Corona doesn't have dibs on that.

It isn't going away. I know people that are struggling right now because of shutting down industries that support cottage industries. My jackass mayor will not lay off one gov't employee locally but he sure as hell will raise taxes 34-37 percent and shut down everything not metro related. He is a CoronaBro.

Being careful is one thing but shutting down people's lives for this doesn't add up for me. Again, New York and New Jersey make up about 48k of the deaths. WTH. CoronaBros are just waiting for the numbers to go up. They will. But right now, data shows, young people will be fine. I'd rather make good decisions on actual data instead of what-ifs.....

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what the history books say about all of this. The United States saw 80k dealths by influenza alone in 2017-2018 and that was during winter of one year and that is with vaccinations. Oh, and people lose arms, legs, fingers, all kinds of sh!t from the flu. Corona doesn't have dibs on that.

It isn't going away. I know people that are struggling right now because of shutting down industries that support cottage industries. My jackass mayor will not lay off one gov't employee locally but he sure as hell will raise taxes 34-37 percent and shut down everything not metro related. He is a CoronaBro.

Being careful is one thing but shutting down people's lives for this doesn't add up for me. Again, New York and New Jersey make up about 48k of the deaths. WTH. CoronaBros are just waiting for the numbers to go up. They will. But right now, data shows, young people will be fine. I'd rather make good decisions on actual data instead of what-ifs.....

I, too, frequently think what history will say about us during this time. I'm afraid we as a people on a whole are earning some harsh treatment from future historians.

I consider that misinformation and disinformation are rampant, and there is a critical difference between the two. Namely, disinformation being intentional deception.

0There are already enough maniacs running in the streets burning down parts of cities and committing repeated acts of violence. Those people already represent too many people that are impervious to reason. It is critically important for people to stand against irrational fear so as to allow peace and real solutions a chance to prevail during these intense difficulties.

Many days, I think history will look on our entire nation during this time the way history looks upon the Salem Witch Trials. At least that was isolated in one hamlet. Not so now.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge on this subject. I am so frustrated that every topic in today's hyper-partisan environment has to become political. This is especially true when lives are at stake. It is also discouraging to realize how deeply the anti-intellectualism, anti-expert bias is embedded in parts of United States culture, even in some who have had the opportunity to become educated themselves.
As much as I love college (and high school, pro not so much) sports and enjoy following MT I really don't give a damn if I never see another athletic contest in person or on TV if it means my wife, my children and grandchildren along with members of my extended family and friends never have to experience the potential horrors of Covid 19. That doesn't imply I don't have feelings for those who want to play or whose livelihood is dependent on sports resuming.
To those who can't wait for things to return to "normal". Sorry, the "new normal" will be different - we can't know just how it looks until it happens but it will be different. Accept it even if some things are not as you hope for. Personally, I don't know if I will ever look at shopping, eating out, traveling, staying in a hotel, etc. the same again. That is lost to me and you will experience losses also.
As for who and what to trust as you get information: May I recommend the short article from AARP on tips on "How You Can Spot Inaccurate News". A common sense approach which along with trying to remove personal biases while looking at sources from all sides of an issue, even those you know you disagree with, will help one become truly informed.

Reactions: MTTim

Even comparing this to a really bad flu season, we've already doubled those numbers and that was with shutting most things down, closing schools, etc. Where do you think we would have been without that? Our health care system likely would have collapsed. It nearly did in NY and parts of Texas are having to pick who dies and who gets treatments due to not enough equipment. The reason why comparing this to the flu is problematic is 1) There is an option for vaccine which reduces severity and prevents in some years. 2) Flu is primarily spread via droplets (i.e. sneezing) where COVID-19 is airborne. It can be spread just by breathing and talking. Also, just to be clear COVID has caused amputations. Flu can but rarely causes that. Also, although the flu can affect heart function it's usually those that are already expericing heart disease. The scarring of the heart in young healthy people from COVID is one of the more concerning side effects from this virus in my view. Just trying to point out it's not the same thing.

Going back to March, I echoed some of your sentiments on the CUSA board about the reality of this situation and that there was delicate balance between prevention and the economy and that there were going to be no easy decisions there. Over the summer some states have found what I believe is a good balance. Following Dr. Redfields guidance to distance, wear mask, limit crowds/groups, etc., is allowing the states that are doing that to have better success. And that hasn't required shutting down the economy. States that are refusing to do that like Georgia (and Florida before it) are going to pay the price. And maybe Tenn too.

As for how history will look at this. It's going to look at the U.S. and it's going to say this is how not to respond to a pandemic. I don't need to see the books years down the road to know this. I can already tell you. Look no further than here:

Deaths per 100K
U.S. = 51
Japan = Less than 1

Why is a country that is more densely populated and much older than the U.S. have such a low mortality rate compared to us? Doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a medical doctor to figure that one out.

Even comparing this to a really bad flu season, we've already doubled those numbers and that was with shutting most things down, closing schools, etc. Where do you think we would have been without that? Our health care system likely would have collapsed. It nearly did in NY and parts of Texas are having to pick who dies and who gets treatments due to not enough equipment. The reason why comparing this to the flu is problematic is 1) There is an option for vaccine which reduces severity and prevents in some years. 2) Flu is primarily spread via droplets (i.e. sneezing) where COVID-19 is airborne. It can be spread just by breathing and talking. Also, just to be clear COVID has caused amputations. Flu can but rarely causes that. Also, although the flu can affect heart function it's usually those that are already expericing heart disease. The scarring of the heart in young healthy people from COVID is one of the more concerning side effects from this virus in my view. Just trying to point out it's not the same thing.

Going back to March, I echoed some of your sentiments on the CUSA board about the reality of this situation and that there was delicate balance between prevention and the economy and that there were going to be no easy decisions there. Over the summer some states have found what I believe is a good balance. Following Dr. Redfields guidance to distance, wear mask, limit crowds/groups, etc., is allowing the states that are doing that to have better success. And that hasn't required shutting down the economy. States that are refusing to do that like Georgia (and Florida before it) are going to pay the price. And maybe Tenn too.

As for how history will look at this. It's going to look at the U.S. and it's going to say this is how not to respond to a pandemic. I don't need to see the books years down the road to know this. I can already tell you. Look no further than here:

Deaths per 100K
U.S. = 51
Japan = Less than 1

Why is a country that is more densely populated and much older than the U.S. have such a low mortality rate compared to us? Doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a medical doctor to figure that one out.
"Only 3.6 percent of Japanese have a body mass index (BMI) over 30, which is the international standard for obesity, whereas 32.0 percent of Americans do. A total of 66.5 percent of Americans have a BMI over 25, making them overweight, but only 24.7 percent of Japanese."
https://www.researchgate.net/public...in_the_US_Some_Possible_Economic_Explanations

That probably has something to do with it. Many of the things that make COVID more severe accompany obesity.

"Only 3.6 percent of Japanese have a body mass index (BMI) over 30, which is the international standard for obesity, whereas 32.0 percent of Americans do. A total of 66.5 percent of Americans have a BMI over 25, making them overweight, but only 24.7 percent of Japanese."
https://www.researchgate.net/public...in_the_US_Some_Possible_Economic_Explanations

That probably has something to do with it. Many of the things that make COVID more severe accompany obesity.

Good observation. Though I doubt it even comes close to accounting for the 5,900% delta. Japan benefits by culturally being used to masks and not having this mindset that it and distancing somehow infringes on their freedom. They never shutdown.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
ADVERTISEMENT