ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Byard, Titans, contract?

9 of 10 have signed, the ONE is Byard. WTF is going on?

Are Titans low balling Byard? Byard getting bad advice?.

I had wondered the same myself. Would not surprise me if they are low balling him and just hoping he would be 'excited' to be a 3rd round pick.

What kind of money are we looking at? 1.5 million a year?
Hardly. 2015 3rd round pick Jeremiah Poutasi makes just over $400,000 per year (total contract was a 4 year, $3.3 million deal with an $800,000 signing bonus)

I expect Byard to sign a 4 year deal worth $3.4-3.5 million (including signing bonus).

Poutasi makes just over $400,000 per year (total contract was a 4 year, $3.3 million deal with an $800,000 signing bonus)

3.3 - .8 = 2.5/4= $625k a year.

First pick of 3rd round could garner 4 million. Just a guess..

Poutasi makes just over $400,000 per year (total contract was a 4 year, $3.3 million deal with an $800,000 signing bonus)

3.3 - .8 = 2.5/4= $625k a year.

First pick of 3rd round could garner 4 million. Just a guess..
It certainly could get Byard a 4 million dollar deal. It seems unlikely due to three factors
1) I don't see the Titans bumping their 3rd round pick salary cap hit up 700,000
2) Rookie slotting
3) Rookie salary cap

Rocky Calmus won the Butkus Award but the Titans drafted him in round 3. In 2002, he only got around $500,000 signing bonus and a three year contract for an average salary around $300,000.

Sadly, I think the Titans are trying to low-ball him initially because he's a local product with college ties to this area.

I think I heard that the issue is that KB was 64th overall pick, which would normally be the last guy in the 2nd round. He was the 1st in the 3rd because New England was penalized their 2nd round pick. The Titans and KB's agent are probably arguing over whether he is a second or third round pick.

Rocky Calmus won the Butkus Award but the Titans drafted him in round 3. In 2002, he only got around $500,000 signing bonus and a three year contract for an average salary around $300,000.

Sadly, I think the Titans are trying to low-ball him initially because he's a local product with college ties to this area.
Two problems with this:
1) Comparing the contract of a 3rd round pick 14 years ago to the most recent 3rd round pick is crazy. So much in the NFL has changed since the drafting of Rocky Calmus in 2002
2) One of these changes is the most recent CBA (agreed to in 2011 IIRC) which created a rookie pay scale and "slotting". The Titans (and Byard) don't have much flexibility with his rookie contract. The Titans are not trying to (and really can't) lowball Byard.

It seems MORE likely the two parties are haggling over the issue of paying Byard as the 64th overall pick (typically a 2nd round pick) or as the 1st pick in the 3rd round as BlueToTheBone suggests.

The Titans are not in the business of throwing flyers at local players nor do they have the ability with in the new CBA to "lowball" local rookies for the "hometown discount" because of the rookie pay scale

Since "slotting" is a factor and so many other reams haven't signed their 3rd round pick either, I would guess that they are waiting for some of the other picks to sign. It's difficult to slot a player if there are a lot of unsigned picks close to his draft position.

Oops, maybe slotting isn't the reason. Pick number 63 has already signed for 4 years and 3.94 million and a signing bonus of 1.06 million. That was 8 days ago, not sure why that would need to wait for #65 to sign, but I still doubt that there's any attempt to lowball him.

According to the radio the Titans don't have enough rookie salary cap for what Byard is asking. It's all above my pay grade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT