ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Bridge over Broad name

I’d support this. More Blue around town the better.

I’ve always said the bridges over I24 should be painted blue. Why not make one closer to campus even more so. The bridges coming into Blacksburg are painted orange and have maroon bushes in the median under them. It looks cool. Be nice for the ‘Boro to do something like it. Cheap and simple but supportive.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Honest question as a white man to anyone who is black. Is the Blue Raider name offensive? Being that it derived from a contest, replicated from the Red Raiders name, I don't see how it could be but I also want to hear why it would be offensive in its context.

I don't know if it was the DNJ or the commissioner, Allen MacAdoo, that tied this statement to the Blue Raider name: "When the Blue Raider name came about in 1934, MTSU "wasn't a college of minorities by no means," McAdoo said."

No disrespect to Allen but I don't see how that bit of information is tied to the name at all. MTSU has made unbelievable strides with minority inclusion. MTSU has 22% African-American ethnicity while UTK has just over 6%. Memphis has 37.3% for comparison. Also, Tennessee State has almost 15% white.

Its easy to assume the Blue Raider name is offensive but MT is not the school of 1934.

Last edited:
Who are the 7 stupid asses who voted against it.

Commissioners who voted for "Blue Raider Bridge" name: Pettus Read, Brad Turner, David Gammon, Steve Pearcy, Michael Wrather, Joe Frank Jernigan, Joe Gourley, Robert Stevens, Virgil Gammon, Craig Harris, Jeff Phillips, Trey Gooch and Chantho Sourinho

Commissioners who opposed name: Allen McAdoo, Rhonda Allen, Carol Cook, Mike Kusch, Paul Johnson, Robert Peay Jr. and Phil Dodd

Reactions: MTTim and MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT