ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Dearmon

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I have enjoyed his play calling thus far. I think we threw the ball more than we wanted to against VT because he knew we were not running the ball on them. My only hope is that this doesn't continue into conference play, because we will not compete for the East if we can't run the ball and are 1 dimensional every game.

The play calling has been pretty good I believe though. I really thought he called a good game against VT when you consider all the factors. We were basically a 1 dimensional team through the air but he still found a way to move the ball through the air against a very good defense. That's pretty impressive. The play calling is not predictable at all and if we can ever find a run game this team could maybe push for the East. Havn't been impressed with Rasul running the ball I think Mobley is by far the best RB on our roster. I hope they roll with him getting the bulk of the carries going forward. I understand they would like for Rasul to be the #1 guy with his pedigree and all but Mobley is just better. Almost feels like they're trying to force it with Rasul when Mobley and even Pettaway are the better options.

A few things I would like to see.....Pierce definitely needs more targets/touches. The guy is a work horse and catches everything thrown his way. I think it's a mistake to not utilize his talent. And I'd like to see us actually give the ball on a sweep once or twice since we fake it so much. The sweep always looks like it would have had a ton of room to run but it's never given. And maybe consider some old school RB screens when the defense is pinning it's ears back. And start Mobley.

That is all :)

Looking good though. Much better flow and execution vs. Tony Franklin's crap thus far.

Reactions: C-Bow
We haven't broken 100 yards rushing yet, if we can't in the next couple of conference games it may be UConn before we see it happen.

how does he get a pass, if you can't rush for 100+ against a FCS then you don't get a pass. It only gets harder from here out

how does he get a pass, if you can't rush for 100+ against a FCS then you don't get a pass. It only gets harder from here out

we didn’t run enough plays to rush for 100 yards against monmouth. Look at the YPC of the RBs, not overall numbers. We had defensive and special teams TDs and short field from turnovers. We didn’t run many offensive plays.

There was a Dearmon video (link below) on one of these threads where Dearmon talking at a coaching clinic and the exact phrase the he used it's the "QB's job to fix the run". When the QB walks up to the line he has his Pre-SNAP read, he can short circuit any run play if he LOVES his Pre SNAP read. Depending on the alignment of the Safety the QB can pull the ball and throw to the Post SNAP reads.

The point is the QB's job is to throw the run game open and to allow us to run with consistency (Re: 4-5 yards a carry). Now realistically maybe Hockman is doing everything in the rules and the OL isn't able to provide the blocking to get the 4-5 yard runs and that will be and adjustment the Dearmon (or OL coaches) will have to make to get to that point. Maybe Dearmon will adjust the perimeters to allow Hockman to throw more to make the runs more wide open.

Dearmon Video

It's all on the OL. There are zero lanes opening. Even when Hockman gets outside the pocket he is running for his life and makes ill-conceived throws off his back foot, leading to interceptions like the one against VT.

Idk how Dearmon puts up with our OL coaches.

It's all on the OL. There are zero lanes opening. Even when Hockman gets outside the pocket he is running for his life and makes ill-conceived throws off his back foot, leading to interceptions like the one against VT.

Idk how Dearmon puts up with our OL coaches.
I haven’t seen a game yet so I can’t really speak to what the O-Line is or (is not doing). I bought access to ESPN+ for this month so I’ll watch them Saturday.

Reactions: mtfblue
we didn’t run enough plays to rush for 100 yards against monmouth. Look at the YPC of the RBs, not overall numbers. We had defensive and special teams TDs and short field from turnovers. We didn’t run many offensive plays.
only 1 RB has a avg above 3, and that's Anderson on 3 carries for 8.3. Everyone is 2.8 or lower, that flat out just ain't getting it down. Where is all this power on the oline people were preaching because we got transfers in. Avg 81 yds a game is horrible, would be less if just the RB's

There was a Dearmon video (link below) on one of these threads where Dearmon talking at a coaching clinic and the exact phrase the he used it's the "QB's job to fix the run". When the QB walks up to the line he has his Pre-SNAP read, he can short circuit any run play if he LOVES his Pre SNAP read. Depending on the alignment of the Safety the QB can pull the ball and throw to the Post SNAP reads.

The point is the QB's job is to throw the run game open and to allow us to run with consistency (Re: 4-5 yards a carry). Now realistically maybe Hockman is doing everything in the rules and the OL isn't able to provide the blocking to get the 4-5 yard runs and that will be and adjustment the Dearmon (or OL coaches) will have to make to get to that point. Maybe Dearmon will adjust the perimeters to allow Hockman to throw more to make the runs more wide open.

Dearmon Video
Dearmon calls the pre-snap read “the gift“ or “proposal.” You on only take it if its there. So, by example, if the DB is 8 yards off the LOS & there are 7 guys in the box, QB will take the “gift”

Otherwise, it’s counting heads and running RPOs.

I’ve oversimplified it a little, but that’s the gist of his system.

Unfortunately, the OL remains an issue.

I would imagine the o-line depth chart will be different this morning and their practice sessions this week will be pretty intense. Polly/Mallory hair on fire drills.

Dearmon has got to change some things. Lining Jimmy Marshall up at guard/TE after he made a huge play on the outside was stupid and he did it more than once. How the hell is a RB gonna get a yard rushing when a skinny WR is blocking a fast and strong DL. All they did was double team him and the RB was stopped before he could start. That was a bad scheme issue. No OL in the world could have saved that play. If you're gonna run, then stack the Line and TE with your biggest dudes. Hell, make 2 of your 2nd string OL TE's and line them up. Run TE's with one in the backfield in the pistol. When we did that in 2012, it always worked.

That delayed handoff crap is also terrible. Even I could snuff that out. Speed up those handoffs, run the QB out of the pistol and also add in some option pitch stuff. Also, try to get plays to the edge. Running up the middle and then running up the middle on a delayed handoff is stupid even if you have a good line. This ain't hard and our team makes it into the most complex equation possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT