ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL BREAKING: MTSU Hires Brent Dearmon as Offensive Coordinator

He was only making 250k as OC @ Kansas, and paying state taxes.

Here he will avoid state taxes and probably make at least 250k, maybe closer to 300k. More money in his pocket, and he'll be closer to family.

Had a lot of success at Arkansas Tech and Bethel.

Wonder if he steals any recruits on his way out the door?

I'm okay with this hire. If we are being honest with ourselves it is the best we can probably do here for a school like MT.

Thank god we brought in an outsider and didn't settle for a retread.

Since Kansas went 0-9 in 2020, I'm thinking that he was motivated to get out. He was making 250K per year.

I wonder if he is a TN native? Bethel, his alma mater, is in NW Tenn.

He was only making 250k as OC @ Kansas, and paying state taxes.

Here he will avoid state taxes and probably make at least 250k, maybe closer to 300k. More money in his pocket, and he'll be closer to family.

Had a lot of success at Arkansas Tech and Bethel.

Wonder if he steals any recruits on his way out the door?

I'm okay with this hire. If we are being honest with ourselves it is the best we can probably do here for a school like MT.

Thank god we brought in an outsider and didn't settle for a retread.
UCF, Memphis, Houston even WKU turn their Head Football coaches every 3-4 years and lose them to P-5 schools. They just re-load with another up and comer.

We just continue to back-load a contract for a guy who has been here 15 seasons and never won a Conf. Title.

Since Kansas went 0-9 in 2020, I'm thinking that he was motivated to get out. He was making 250K per year.

I wonder if he is a TN native? Bethel, his alma mater, is in NW Tenn.
Hometown: Saraland, Alabama

Kansas was 0-9 last season
Outscored 414-143 (46-15.8 per game)
He played at NAIA Bethel in McKenzie, TN

Impressive.
Dearmon's work as Kansas OC in 2020 is a bit concerning.

But Dearmon led an offense that led the nation in scoring at Bethel (55 pig) and is respected in coaching circles.

I'm willing to chalk the 2020 season up to Kansas being not being good at football.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Joe Craddock was just sitteing there. Joe would have been way better than this dude. Joe's resume is way better and had success at a D1 G5 and coached on this year's CUSA champ. We get 0-9 baby. Woooohooo! At this point, I kinda hope he fails miserbly so we can get all these clowns out of there. So not excited but hey, who knows? At least he's young. If he left KU for us, he was obviously miserable there and the staff probably had bad chemistry with the HC.

I kinda hope he fails miserbly so we can get all these clowns out of there. So not excited but hey, who knows? At least he's young. If he left KU for us, he was obviously miserable there and the staff probably had bad chemistry with the HC.
The Kansas message board said that the move to MT is family related, I think.

I want the team to go undefeated.

It's much better for a Stockstill to be hired away by a power conference than fired - and a lot more fun too.

Joe Craddock was just sitteing there. Joe would have been way better than this dude. Joe's resume is way better and had success at a D1 G5 and coached on this year's CUSA champ. We get 0-9 baby. Woooohooo! At this point, I kinda hope he fails miserbly so we can get all these clowns out of there. So not excited but hey, who knows? At least he's young. If he left KU for us, he was obviously miserable there and the staff probably had bad chemistry with the HC.
Craddock was pursued but was not interested in coming back to the Boro.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
The Kansas message board said that the move to MT is family related, I think.

I want the team to go undefeated.

It's much better for a Stockstill to be hired away by a power conference than fired - and a lot more fun too.

Don't hold your breath. If this dude couldnt win a game at KU, he's not going undefeated here. Stock, well we know what he can do. We need him gone IMO. Whatever does that, I'm ok with. I want us to win of course but it might take a lot more losing to get that done.

Craddock was pursued but was not interested in coming back to the Boro.
Thanks to that article TF created with the Washington Post, Stock is a bit nuclear now I bet. Even with a former player. Plus, I bet he went cheap with him too.

This young man may be respected by his peers as an up and comer but hiring an OC from an 0-9 Big 12 bottom feeder that was outscored by their opponents nearly 4:1 does nothing to inspire or excite an already depressed fan base.
We needed something to excite the fan base. I find it hard to believe his motive for leaving Kansas to come to MTSU is to move up in his career. It’s not even a lateral move.

Sorry if this offends anyone but as an alum I needed more.

I'm not sure how much stock (no pun intended) I would put into his 1 year at Kansas. Admittedly, I'm not going to research their roster, but I highly doubt the QB was his guy. No one has ever been successful at Kansas. If we are using that as a benchmark, we wouldn't hire Charlie Weis as OC either. Maybe it was strictly a family issue. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Maybe it was a combination of the two. Let's just see how he does against C-USA defenses instead of Okla, TX, etc.

I'm not sure how much stock (no pun intended) I would put into his 1 year at Kansas. Admittedly, I'm not going to research their roster, but I highly doubt the QB was his guy. No one has ever been successful at Kansas. If we are using that as a benchmark, we wouldn't hire Charlie Weis as OC either. Maybe it was strictly a family issue. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Maybe it was a combination of the two. Let's just see how he does against C-USA defenses instead of Okla, TX, etc.

He scored 23 points against Coastal and 14 against a terrible Baylor team, but he is supposed to come here and light up?

I'm willing to throw out the Kansas experiment because he's had success prior to that. Who knows about that situation, but if after 1 year he was ready to bolt, it says the situation wasn't ideal for his success.

The more puzzeling thing is the buyout. It says he has to pay $500K and MT will not pay this. So he comes out on the losing end of this with just a slightly higher salary, but paying the buyout???? Something doesn't add up. What I can speculate is that he told Kansas he is willing to walk away if they forgive the buyout. Kansas probably didn't want him anyways so they might be letting him walk just to get rid of him. Win - Win for both sides.

Look - Kansas isn't a football factory and in a COVID year, new coach, I can see it would be difficult for him to get momentum. So I'm willing to give him a pass. I'm more impressed we get a new, young coach and not a retread on the tail end of his career.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Thanks to that article TF created with the Washington Post, Stock is a bit nuclear now I bet. Even with a former player. Plus, I bet he went cheap with him too.

I thought the same thing about Craddock being a slam dunk hire for us, but someone else mentioned Stock and Joe didn’t get along well. IIRC, Stock inherited Joe - Andy Mac recruited him. And Joe is from Alabama, so he may be settled in with family & winning at UAB over working for someone he doesn’t care for, if true

Another consideration - He may be waiting out Stock’s contract. If Stock retires at the end of this year, I could see Massaro offering Craddock the HC job. If he was on staff now and an outside HC was hired, most new HC clean house save 1 or 2 hold overs.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I would say it is much more likely that Shafer would have the inside track on the HC job if Stock were to leave after next year, but who knows. Bethel went 3-7 the year before Dearmon, 10-1 with Dearmon (one loss in OT in 1st round of playoffs), and then 5-6 the year after Dearmon. I think this hire could go either way, but if you ask me we may have just gotten an opportunity we may not have had if he stayed at Bethel and repeated the success he achieved in his only year.

Reactions: MTsumner92
I thought the same thing about Craddock being a slam dunk hire for us, but someone else mentioned Stock and Joe didn’t get along well. IIRC, Stock inherited Joe - Andy Mac recruited him. And Joe is from Alabama, so he may be settled in with family & winning at UAB over working for someone he doesn’t care for, if true

Another consideration - He may be waiting out Stock’s contract. If Stock retires at the end of this year, I could see Massaro offering Craddock the HC job. If he was on staff now and an outside HC was hired, most new HC clean house save 1 or 2 hold overs.
Joe is more likely holding out for someone to be smart enough to hire Bill Clark away from UAB than for Stock to leave.

After watching about 3 Kansas games, I'm not impressed at all. Granted, he had no talent to work with but it's the same problem here so I just don't see anything special that leads me to believe that this dude is gonna help us much. The competition is softer so that my help us.

To put it bluntly, Joe had no interest in working for Stock. He likes the Boro.
I don't doubt that, although I don't know the personal history.

I spoke with a UAB beat writer when the position came open - and I made it clear to subscribers that Craddock was on the list but had opted to stay put at UAB.

After watching about 3 Kansas games, I'm not impressed at all. Granted, he had no talent to work with but it's the same problem here so I just don't see anything special that leads me to believe that this dude is gonna help us much. The competition is softer so that my help us.

I knew you wouldn’t like him, he’s an RPO guru.....kidding.

This offense will come down to QB play and how fast the team can learn his system/terminology. I wish he could hire his own OL coach and RB coach that was familiar with him/his system.

I like that the KU players loves his enthusiasm and he is apparently a good recruiter.

When a team is executing an RPO offense with smart qb play, it’s a beautiful thing. If the QB can’t handle the reads or is slow, then it’s turd. I would feel a lot better about our moves if Mallory and Hickmann were gone as well.

ADVERTISEMENT