ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING BREAKING: MT adds 3-star SG Tye Fagan to '18 class

Needs work on his 3 point shot but he can really clean up under the basket. My guess is a 2 that turns into a 4 under the basket. Saweet.

Yeah he's another one of those lefties with that quick release. If it goes in, it goes in I guess.

Fagan is said to be an absolute gym rat, so it's gotta be something he's just more comfortable with than anything else.

Long-time posters and readers recognize that I am never satisfied with the classes we sign. I probably never will be since it's doubtful we will ever beat out UK, UNC, and Duke for 5 star players. But, my only reservation with our recruiting this year, so far, is that we were in on several higher rated 2Gs than Fagan and they had a more impressive list of offers.

As for the DNJ article I would quibble with Bacharach in that I don't think Fagan is a "consensus" 3 star prospect although 247Sports has given him that rating (could have missed it but I've seen nothing from Scout, Rivals, or ESPN).

Regardless, you have to be pleased with this class so far. We could need to sign only one more (waiting to see if King gets another year - anything on that?) and: Could this be the first class in memory made up entirely of high schoolers? Both commits so far were apparently offered by in-state "power" schools and this is a huge sign that our recruiting is on the upswing. The biggest difference I have seen so far this year is that even the 2 star players we are "in on" are being offered, and in a couple of recent cases, committing to "power" schools.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fagan and Buffen sign in the early period. Hopefully the other player(s) signed are as highly touted at these two (perhaps just a little better - LOL; and getting a good "Big" should be a priority).

Scout and 247 are basically one in the same at this point IIRC.

Fagan is also a 3-star with us here at Rivals (albeit not rated yet). He's had national analysts checking him out, too, which says something in and of itself.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Here is the thing. Star ratings mean very little when it comes to our system overall. If we have 1-2 kids that are VHT then that is really all we need on this roster. Davis teaches our system to be the most physical one around. You just need guys to take on roles usually. Star ratings never said much about Giddy, Cuffee, Gunn, Shawn Jones, or Marcos Knight.
The key thing one should notice here is we are committing kids so much earlier AND we are getting our top choices rather than 2nd or 3rd.
You have to understand that coaching staffs have guys they really like who otherwise may not be liked somewhere else. It depends on every program as they are unique.
Take me for example. If I run a 4 around one and my entire scheme is designed around that, then why the heck would I want 2 dominant 6-8 post kids with mediocre guard play? It doesn't make sense. It means I change what I do on the court (which has probably been proven successful for me) or I sit one of those 2 entirely too much.
Another example is I still don't know why we got que Copeland. Good kid, fast, but could not match up physically on the defensive side. But there are other mid-majors who have made noise that would have really liked him.
I look at it like this. If they get someone this early, then they got who they really wanted. If they have a star or two higher than what we usually get, then they have likely gone to elite camps or competed at AAU nationals and had a good tournament. Just possibly they have had some more opportunities to be seen.
Committing early also puts your mind at peace about the health of the program. Especially when you bring in high school kids. We have had such success with JUCO's that I wouldn't turn away from it. It seems we can always find guys at those ranks who perform well because they have a chip on their should (cuffee, hunter, Harris, knight, Massey, etc). Overall, this staff has proven to all of us that they are consistent winners. We absolutely must trust them. I'm not going to nitpick the little things the recruiting services provide.

hoopseen.com:

excerpt:

...Blue Raiders head coach Kermit Davis and assistant coach Ronnie Hamilton tracked him closely, beginning at the Atlanta Jam in April. Fagan was the first prospect Davis watched to open the 2017 evaluation periods and that set the tone throughout his recruitment.

What is Middle Tennessee getting in Fagan?

One of the best scoring guards in the South. The 6-foot-2 guard has proven on numerous stages that he has the ability to score the basketball in a variety of ways. With the ability to play both guard spots, he brings a sense of toughness and a winning attitude to the floor. Fagan proved himself as one of the best mid-major guard prospects in the country.

Fagan chose Middle Tennessee over scholarship offers from Arkansas State, College of Charleston, Georgia, and South Florida.

Fagan is regarded as the No. 11 overall prospect in our Georgia state rankings. He joins fellow Georgia native K.J. Buffon, ranked No. 10, in the Blue Raiders 2018 recruiting cycle....

Impressive job! Glad to see that recruiting has really started to take off. It seems recruiting is now really reflecting the success of the program the last few years. Brings a smile to my face.

Food for thought, 2 star or no star, Kermit has been finding and developing overlooked talent. If Kermit has been getting 2 stars or lower to play like they are 3 star recruits, it's not too far of stretch to think Kermit might be able develop some of these 3 star recruits into 4 star performers.

Out of the 3 that signed, I figured he would be the one that would need the most developing. After seeing his stats and watching his film again, I'm thinking he may be our best signee.

Looking forward to seeing him on the court next year! I am really pumped about this class.

Out of the 3 that signed, I figured he would be the one that would need the most developing. After seeing his stats and watching his film again, I'm thinking he may be our best signee.

Between him and the transfer from Rio Grande, looks like we have a couple of scores coming in to pair with Johnson and Dixon next year.

Looking forward to seeing him on the court next year! I am really pumped about this class.

It's a high upside class. However, considering all will be true freshmen, it will take them time to acclimate and adjust. For their own benefit, I hope as fans we can be patient as they grow.

Next year's returning roster looks like this:

Perimeter: Dixon, Johnson, Sims, TSS, Green, Simmons

Posts/Slashers: Hawthorne, Gamble, Thomas, Massenburg

The returning perimeter should be deeper and more established than the returning post players. Might create more immediate opportunities for Curry and Buffen than it will Fagan.

The most glaring concern I see on that returning roster is no proven rim protectors. Since 2011-12, our defenses have held opponents to 48% or lower 2-point shooting percentage in every season (this year, we are giving up 49.1% against Division 1 opponents, but I expect that number will trend back down as we get into conference play). D-1 average 2 pt FG% defense is usually around 49%, so we have been statistically very strong defending the paint. This is due not only to having some good shot blockers, but also just having big and athletic guys that can alter shots around the paint. We will need somebody to emerge to help fill that potential hole next year, which is why I think Curry might have the most potential immediate upside if he can step in and prove he is physically ready.

Reactions: mtfblue
Randall you are all over it accurately as usual. Next season, depth and youth might be an issue with the frontcourt. Some of the younger players just might have to grow and develop while playing. That is unless Kermit can pull some more magic out of the bag and get another outstanding PF transfer in and ready to play next season. Kermit keeps impressing with these transfers. Sometimes I wonder how many times can he keep pulling that off. I mean, look at Nick King. He is unreal! It is unbelievable watching him play so far this season. He is an amazing scorer. When I checked yesterday, Nick King was ranked 5th nationally in scoring. Impressive. It would be nice if another incredible talent is graduating this year that still has another year to play and is hungry for huge success.

Reactions: MTsumner92
I'm not saying there won't be a dropoff next year, because ultimately I think there will be. You don't replace guys like King and Giddy without it.

But...when you're getting that higher level recruit to come in, like KD is now, things tend to click faster.

None of the three newcomers are going to be project players (like Gamble or Thomas) in my opinion. They'll push for time right away. The evolution of Gamble and Thomas will ultimately decide how successful MT is next year though. Again just my opinion.

There is also the potential to add a 4th player to the class..which would only be a King type of addition who would be a big impact kind of player..

I'm not saying there won't be a dropoff next year, because ultimately I think there will be. You don't replace guys like King and Giddy without it.

But...when you're getting that higher level recruit to come in, like KD is now, things tend to click faster.

None of the three newcomers are going to be project players (like Gamble or Thomas) in my opinion. They'll push for time right away. The evolution of Gamble and Thomas will ultimately decide how successful MT is next year though. Again just my opinion.

There is also the potential to add a 4th player to the class..which would only be a King type of addition who would be a big impact kind of player..
I think your last comment will dictate next year. From all the video I’ve watched I agree that at least one or two of the newbies will contribute. I think we are now going to have the option about every year to add a King/Williams type player. We’ve been highly successful at that theee times in the last handful of years.

My gut tells me Thomas may not be on the team next year. I don't have anything to back it up, just a feeling.

I really expected for Thomas to be in the rotation this year based on comments in media. Really disappointed but I was alos disappointed in Gamble for two years. I'm hoping Thomas can show progress and earn Davis' trust. We need him to be successful.
I would agree MTBig Blue: Looking at the team at this time Thomas would be the most obvious defection before next year.

With the grad transfers coming in and helping is good - the down side is the bigs we sign don't get playing time. Its a double edged sword. Gamble is playing better and is positioning himself to start next year. Hopefully Thomas we get some PT this year and be ready for a 12-16 minute role next year.

It appears Kermit likes and has had success with giving senior PF and 5th year senior PF frontcourt players the starting jobs and bulk of playing time. Their stronger developed bodies and experience do seem to add an advantage.

I think it is a good point already posted in this thread about the higher caliber recruits being generally ready for playing time earlier compared to a lot of other recruits that take a year or two to really settle in for good mins consistently.

I have a good feeling about this kid...he will have an opportunity to play next year. With Potts and Simpson leaving lots of minutes available. I think our guard play as a group offensively will be better next year with the new additions; don't forget about the transfer from TX.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT