ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Commit No. 7 in the books

6'7" 294 - and it doesn't look like a fat 294 either.

I don't usually think it's a good idea to play true freshman OLs, but this guy looks like he can be an early contributor.

That's 3 Tennessee kids already. We only had 4 last year in the entire recruiting class.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Hope his sticks. I'm not one to watch film, but man does he seem to move well for a kid that is 6-7.

FWIW, it seems that coach stock has changed up recruiting approach a little. This most recent signing class and the one they are working on signing looks to be a little different from past years. Didn't he also change recruiting coord. this off-season?

I don't know how much of it might be the C-USA move, but it looks like they are going after and landing players with size more fitting for their positions. Especially along both lines, it seemed to me that MT has been undersized for the most part. It almost seemed that coach stock liked it that way. It seemed he liked to play smaller but quicker players on the OL & DL all the way back to the Manny Diaz days. On the defense side, it seemed to work fairly well with Diaz's style. Under other coords, it has not worked out too well IMO. While I tend to focus on the line of scrimmage as I believe it to be a vital aspect of the game, it seems coach stock and staff are improving size at all positions.

It's been difficult to watch MT have an overall weak defense the last few years even though incredible players in TT Barber and Byard are out there. Goes back to the line of scrimmage. It looks like MT might have a good chance to improve on defense this season as it looks like the DL might just be getting bigger, stronger, and better. It also seems that the coaching staff is favoring size and strength vs lighter and quicker along the DL with the veteran players. Nothing extreme, but leaning that way just a little. I like it, and it gives me a little more hope for this season. I don't think you can expect to compete at a high level in Div 1A each and every week of the long season if you are undersized along both the OL & DL. You'll be able to compete against weaker teams, and you might be able to get up and play great vs a strong higher ranked team every once in a while.

It does look as if we are fishing for players in deeper, larger, and better pool for players to recruit for FB. It could be that the moderate success we have had and the move to C-USA are paying off. Let's hope so.

Now if we can only be assured that men's BKB is following suit. Based on signees we have had in the last couple of classes it's hard to see any bump from the three really good years and the conference move up. It's a little discouraging to see write-ups on the upcoming C-USA season and not see MT signees mentioned among the newcomers expected to make an impact. I hope I'll be proved wrong both when I get a chance to see this year's class and when we find out what happens in the early signing period in Nov. (we are apparently "in on" and have offered several prospects with 3+ star ratings)

It does look as if we are fishing for players in deeper, larger, and better pool for players to recruit for FB. It could be that the moderate success we have had and the move to C-USA are paying off. Let's hope so.

Now if we can only be assured that men's BKB is following suit. Based on signees we have had in the last couple of classes it's hard to see any bump from the three really good years and the conference move up. It's a little discouraging to see write-ups on the upcoming C-USA season and not see MT signees mentioned among the newcomers expected to make an impact. I hope I'll be proved wrong both when I get a chance to see this year's class and when we find out what happens in the early signing period in Nov. (we are apparently "in on" and have offered several prospects with 3+ star ratings)

Yes, the other area that really needs to improve in consistency and with higher performing talent, the basketball team. I, too, have been a little disappointed with the lack of a bump in recruiting after several years of good success. I'm hoping that Kermit has some more improved players coming in that just aren't showing up on paper as good as they might actually be on the court. Don't get me wrong, the players Kermit has recently gotten seem to be pretty good with some growth and potential remaining to be seen. It's just on the recruiting front, the overall success has not seemed to result in recruits of a caliber C-USA title contender teams seem to be landing. Of course teams like ODU, UAB, WKU, LaTech land high quality talent, but have you seen what UTEP has been doing? While losing some players to the NBA, UTEP is bringing in more incredible recruits. Who knows how far their upside goes? It's kind of surprising UTEP didn't have a NCAA tourney season last season with all that talent. That is another discussion for another day. I just hope Kermit can land some really good strong sizable recruits this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT