ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Bowl Predictions

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
We most likely will back in to a bowl. I'm laying money if we do, it will either be off mainland or too far for the average fan to go to.

Figured I'd start a thread and post each week the predictions. Have one place to see at end of season how far off these well paid pundits are. Plus in my mind, this season without a bowl WIN means squat. Miami won't matter, no conf champ always matters, but we've never won two bowls in a row. Many may not care about football, but I still do, so here I am.

After Week 7

ESPN FPI
Currently 3-4 / 97th / 6.4 wins / 5th CUSA

Yahoo
Frisco vs SMU (Frisco, TX)

Jerry Palm CBS
Lending Tree vs App State (Mobile, AL)

Athlon
Myrtle Beach vs Georgia Southern

ESPN
Myrtle Beach vs ECU
Boca Raton vs Coastal Carolina

Bleacher
New Mexico vs UNLV

Brett McMurphy Action
No Bowl

It’s tough to root against the current players because they put in the physical work and it’s equally as tough to hope that former Blue Raiders, Lil Stock, Gilstrap, Tucker, Mathers, Shakir and Catlett can’t get it done as position coaches and GA’s. But……Stock has put them all in this tough situation early in their young careers.

Except for his 3 years at Murray St., and one year at his alma mater, Georgetown Ky, Polly has been nowhere else but Murfreesboro for 13 seasons, 3 as a GA and 10 as a position coach. His only FBS experience is at MT. And I think we’ve rehashed the Brock, West, Mallory semi-retirement issues to death.

Shafer, Stewart, Royston and Bickles should be able to land on their feet given their connections and previous coaching stops.

Something to ponder, in my 4 years at Memphis St., we had Mack Brown for 2 seasons as WR coach, Curley Hallman for 2 seasons as RB coach, and Jim Ragland as OC for 3 years. All three went on to become head coaches. My position coach was there 4 years before leaving for Clemson and Danny Ford’s staff.

My final point being, the HC still appeared flustered and confused in the press conference about what to do after last Saturday. It made me wonder if he has the the willingness to make the tough decisions regarding staff changes which are glaringly needed. He did finally admit that we are not establishing the line of scrimmage early enough with our offensive line. That falls right back to recruiting (or lack thereof), the two assistants who coached the position for the last 10 years and, both of whom are still on this staff.

Friends and family direct reports and subordinates are bad not only for businesses but also for college football teams.

Last edited:
After Week 8 (MT BYE)

ESPN FPI
Currently 3-4 / 97th / 6.4 wins / 6th CUSA

Yahoo
No Bowl (predicting more eligible teams than bowls)

Jerry Palm CBS
Lending Tree vs Southern MIss (Mobile, AL)

Athlon

ESPN
Frisco vs SDSU
No Bowl for 2nd writer

Bleacher
New Mexico vs UNLV

Brett McMurphy Action
No Bowl

After Week 9

ESPN FPI
Currently 4-4 / 95th / 6.7 wins / 6th CUSA

Yahoo
Hawaii vs San Jose State

Jerry Palm CBS

Athlon

ESPN
No Bowl for Bonagura
No Bowl for Schlabach

Bleacher
New Mexico vs Fresno State

Brett McMurphy Action
Lending Tree vs GA Southern (Mobile, AL)

You won't catch me spending a dime on travel to any bowl stupid enough to invite a Stockstill coached Blue Raider squad. The experience for the players may be cool, but I have traveled in the past to bowls and they always stink it up. Not doing it even if it means I never see another bowl game in person.

That's partly my thought. 3-6 anyone?

I'm always happy for the players and the experiences they get from it. But it's just like any other big time primetime game...we stink it up is right. I do like seeing though how close these talking mouths actually get to being correct at the end.

If we wind up in Myrtle I may go since I can do the drive (only 5.5hrs) just to say I've been to a bowl. But I mean, New Mexico? I know that'll be conference next year but still.

I'm still torn. I almost want us to bottom out. If we make another bowl, the same old thing will just continue again next year. Same staff, same expectations, everything status quo. My only how is we are forced to make changes if we bottom out.
We'd have to bottom out for 5 years straight for a move to even be made. It just ain't happening.

You won't catch me spending a dime on travel to any bowl stupid enough to invite a Stockstill coached Blue Raider squad. The experience for the players may be cool, but I have traveled in the past to bowls and they always stink it up. Not doing it even if it means I never see another bowl game in person.
Maybe in 12 years

After Week 9

ESPN FPI
Currently 4-4 / 95th / 6.7 wins / 6th CUSA

Yahoo
Hawaii vs San Jose State

Jerry Palm CBS

Athlon

ESPN
No Bowl for Bonagura
No Bowl for Schlabach

Bleacher

Brett McMurphy Action
Lending Tree vs GA Southern (Mobile, AL)
Lending Tree vs Southern Miss would be the most interesting scenario IMO

We beat charlotte and FIU, maybe even FAU. Finish with 6/7 wins. Stock is taking his boys bowling and getting a contract extension wether you like it or not. hope they do go someplace sunny and warm, play lights out and dominate a Mac team. Nobody wants to watch this garbage in person anyway. Par for the course though.

After Week 11

ESPN FPI
Currently 5-5 / 101st / 6.3 wins / 6th CUSA

Yahoo
College Football News
Myrtle Beach vs Marshall (I would so go to that)

Jerry Palm CBS
Hawaii vs SDSU

Athlon

ESPN
Bonagura - Orlando Cure vs Georgia Southern
Schlabach - Myrtle Beach vs East Carolina

Bleacher

Brett McMurphy Action
Myrtle Beach vs South Alabama

24/7
Hawaii vs SJSU

After Week 11

ESPN FPI
Currently 5-5 / 101st / 6.3 wins / 6th CUSA

Yahoo
College Football News
Myrtle Beach vs Marshall (I would so go to that)

Jerry Palm CBS
Hawaii vs SDSU

Athlon

ESPN
Bonagura - Orlando Cure vs Georgia Southern
Schlabach - Myrtle Beach vs East Carolina

Bleacher

Brett McMurphy Action
Myrtle Beach vs South Alabama

24/7
Hawaii vs SJSU
They are choosing Hawaii if it's up to the admin.

Our neighbors just 100 miles of hate to the north are running student recruitment commercials during the Beech at Cane Ridge Friday Night Rivals telecast on MyTV30. 😂😂

After week 12:

Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, BH - Fri. 12/16)
- vs. Bowling Green (Pro Football Network)

Frisco Bowl (Frisco, TX - Sat. 12/17)
- vs. Brigham Young (ESPN-Bonagura)
- vs. East Carolina (The Sporting News)

New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, NM - Sat. 12/17)
- vs. San Jose State (College Sports Madness)

Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway, SC - Mon. 12/19)
- vs. Connecticut (Athlon Sports)
- vs. East Carolina (ESPN-Schlabach)
- vs. South Alabama (24/7 Sports)

Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, HI - Sat. 12/24)
- vs. Fresno State (Sports Illustrated)
- vs. San Diego State (CBS Sports)
- vs. San Jose State (Action Network|College Football News)

Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, AL - Tues. 12/27)
- vs. Marshall (USA Today)

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Bowling Green is beatable; not sure any of the others are. maybe USA and we always seem to play Marshall well. Camellia Bowl was a lot of fun last time we went there. Good atmosphere and the stadium was perfect size.

I hope either we go to a southeastern bowl or the Bahamas. At least Miami is beatable.

Us in Frisco against SMU. If Tanner Mordecai plays, eeek.
Also has UTSA in Myrtle Beach against Coastal. So a most likely 10 win season and conf champ gets you in a bowl that is a home game for your opponent? I hold these with a grain of salt.

I suspect whoever out opponent in whatever bowl will whip the Blue Raiders in above average margin of victory for a MT bowl game.

• Angry
Reactions: MTLynn
ADVERTISEMENT