ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Biggest recruiting busts and steals for MT history?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Doing signing day coverage yesterday got me thinking. Who were the biggest busts (failures) and steals (surprises) in MTSU history? Include hoops if you want

There were quite a few busts in McCollum's era. We recruited some top 200 guys when he was here and very few of them even sniffed the field. Mostly due to grade issues or getting arrested.

Football - Sam Williams (WHO? Yeah, he was that big of a bust)

Basketball - Josh Sain.......Never ending hype but never amounted to crap. Theryn Hudson is a close second. TONS of hype and ended up being an average player at best. Both of these guys were local products too if I'm not mistaken.....coincidence?

Football - Sam Williams (WHO? Yeah, he was that big of a bust)

Basketball - Josh Sain.......Never ending hype but never amounted to crap. Theryn Hudson is a close second. TONS of hype and ended up being an average player at best. Both of these guys were local products too if I'm not mistaken.....coincidence?[/Q

Man forgot all about Sam Williams. 4 Star guy.

Some reason Alvin Fite seems like a bust to me. Maybe because I played against him in high school and and went to MTSU at the same time.

Remember my 18 year old self thinking he was going to be a beast. Never really happened

In hoops...I thought Steve Thomas was a bust.
In fairness to Thomas, he only got to play the second half of his senior year.... I was far more disappointed with Torin Walker and Uriah Hethington was a big bust.

On the flip side, Warren Kidd was one of the best signings ever for basketball. Tommy Gunn was a pleasant surprise - he chose MT over Elon, I think.

As far as football, Boots signed better players than either Andy or Rick.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Some reason Alvin Fite seems like a bust to me. Maybe because I played against him in high school and and went to MTSU at the same time.

Remember my 18 year old self thinking he was going to be a beast. Never really happened

Used to hang out with Alvin in college. Stone hands. He was a really, really nice dude. And man, he sure looked the part of a LB.

I wouldn't consider him a bust. He was an average Sun Belt LB and from what I can remember was not too terribly hyped out of high school.

ADVERTISEMENT