ADVERTISEMENT

Best Case Scenario - unfortunately

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
After the way the season has started, which is more of what we have seen for the past few years, I've basically given up before the season really gets going.

Best scenario is the the team loses ALL their games this season. It might be our only shot at seeing some wholesale changes. If it's another .500 season or just below that, I'm afraid it's more of the same for the near future. So while I hate to pack it in already and call it a season, I think it's the only chance this program on life support can possibly survive. If there are 2-3 more seasons of this just below .500 football, it really will be the death sentence. It's already barely hanging on. The sad thing is that a lot of us have seen this coming for several years and MESSaro doesn't do anything.

When your program doesn't have any other larger schools looking to steal our coaches, or even AD for that matter, that says a lot. Why can't we at least be a farm system for a coaches? They come here and fizzle out.

Tony Franklin is one that unfortunately the game has passed him by. He can no longer hang his hat on being part brain child of the spread offense. It's way past that now and he never progressed.

Talent-wise it's very apparent that we are way behind other teams. I will not criticize any of our young, hard working players, but we just aren't on the same level as other CUSA teams. Give an honest look to the opposing team next time you see MT play and you will start to notice how far behind we are with talent.

So unfortunately, I hope for ZERO wins this season because I think it's our only hope of ever getting a decent team.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yes, that's my point. Anything short of a complete failure this season, they will try to explain away. If we go winless, it's harder to just say it's Covid.

Rick will fire a few assistants, bring Brent in as OC and next year we win 4 games, which in the words of Massaro, “If you can’t see the improvement from 2020 to 2021, you are blind.” Rick steps down as HC to be assistant AD (retaining salary) & Massaro makes Brent HC with a 10 yr guaranteed contract.

Brent fills his staff based on who said nice things about his dad or the best compliments of the TF System DVD set from TF’s website and that’s our staff for the next decade.

Rick will fire a few assistants, bring Brent in as OC and next year we win 4 games, which in the words of Massaro, “If you can’t see the improvement from 2020 to 2021, you are blind.” Rick steps down as HC to be assistant AD (retaining salary) & Massaro makes Brent HC with a 10 yr guaranteed contract.

Brent fills his staff based on who said nice things about his dad or the best compliments of the TF System DVD set from TF’s website and that’s our staff for the next decade.

You have to laugh at that but then you really think about it, and it is a totally plausible scenario. My how far we have come.

Reactions: Hop45
I’ve often wondered how things would have played out if Tuberville hadn’t signed the 5-star transfer QB from Notre Dame (Gunnar Kiel). Would Brent have stayed in Cincy??

Worked out better for Brent. Gunner had one decent season and really never had one as good as any of Brents so makes you wonder what was wrong in Cincy with that offensive staff. He probably wouldn't have beaten Gunner out because you know 6'4" and 5* so he must be better. Avg college career and didn't even get drafted.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

The Stockstill's must have some serious dirt on Massaro & McPhee.

After the way the season has started, which is more of what we have seen for the past few years, I've basically given up before the season really gets going.

Best scenario is the the team loses ALL their games this season. It might be our only shot at seeing some wholesale changes. If it's another .500 season or just below that, I'm afraid it's more of the same for the near future. So while I hate to pack it in already and call it a season, I think it's the only chance this program on life support can possibly survive. If there are 2-3 more seasons of this just below .500 football, it really will be the death sentence. It's already barely hanging on. The sad thing is that a lot of us have seen this coming for several years and MESSaro doesn't do anything.

When your program doesn't have any other larger schools looking to steal our coaches, or even AD for that matter, that says a lot. Why can't we at least be a farm system for a coaches? They come here and fizzle out.

Tony Franklin is one that unfortunately the game has passed him by. He can no longer hang his hat on being part brain child of the spread offense. It's way past that now and he never progressed.

Talent-wise it's very apparent that we are way behind other teams. I will not criticize any of our young, hard working players, but we just aren't on the same level as other CUSA teams. Give an honest look to the opposing team next time you see MT play and you will start to notice how far behind we are with talent.

So unfortunately, I hope for ZERO wins this season because I think it's our only hope of ever getting a decent team.
I understand the inclination, but from my own personal experience, rooting against your team in hopes a coaching change will happen doesn’t feel good in hindsight, even if you get your wish.

We all care about this team and ultimately want it to be successful, but success is not the prerequisite for our support, that’s obvious.

You care because it’s your alma mater, or the local school, or the school your family roots for: try to hold onto that.

Decisions out of our control are, well, out of our control.

I will be rooting for the team to go 9-2.

Reactions: C-Bow
I understand the inclination, but from my own personal experience, rooting against your team in hopes a coaching change will happen doesn’t feel good in hindsight, even if you get your wish.

We all care about this team and ultimately want it to be successful, but success is not the prerequisite for our support, that’s obvious.

You care because it’s your alma mater, or the local school, or the school your family roots for: try to hold onto that.

I completely disagree.

I was glad Sly Croom was embarrassed in the Egg Bowl in his last game. That, plus dropping attendance, donations and a losing record made Greg Byrne’s decision easy. National media denounced the move, can’t win in Starkville, bad facilities etc. (sound familiar?). We got Dan Mullen at MSU and won more in his tenure than the entire history of the program. Plus I got 5 weeks of one of my schools being #1 in the country.

I want MT to win in everything. But we have morons in leadership. If for the long-term health of our program, we need to lose every game this year, I hope we do. It shouldn’t take that. But it may because McPhee and Massaro are mediocrity exemplified and they will not push Stock out without something so bad they can’t excuse. I would love 9-2 if Stock could do it. But he can’t.So if you say we end up with 1 to 5 wins and Stock staying or lose all and get it over with, the choice is easy.

Sorry man, MT football is diseased. It's like a tooth that needs a root canal.

If you've got a bum tooth - you got to go through the treatment to get rid of it. It's going to suck, involve pain, make you uncomfortable, it's mentally taxing and stressful. No one wants to have a root canal.

But If you don't, it's only going to get worse. At this point, MT football needs to go to the dentist, and get that root canal done. There's no sense in waiting, hoping for the best that it'll go away. it doesn't make you a bad fan or a non-supporter if you want to get it done - all you're doing is prolonging the suffering. Or, maybe even making it worse (like I said in another post, there may be a point of no return here).

I'm pulling for anything that moves that root canal appointment up.

We have five coaches (Head Coach included) who are in the twilight of their careers. Stock, Brock, West, Mallory, and Franklin. And Shafer is no spring chicken. All of these guys (except for Brock) have earned pretty good salaries over the years and should be able to retire or weather another coaching move if canned. I seriously doubt they are sitting around wringing their hands over getting fired. They will continue to say all the “coach speak” right things and continue to ride this gravy train as long as McPhee and the BOT allow it to continue. It’s what coaches do. They know what their current talent level is.

The morning that West got fired at Memphis, his staff was already outside the Athletic Office Building on their cell phones lining up their next gig. Mallory was at his kid’s soccer game later and remarked to a buddy of mine that his o-line couldn’t even remember their right from their left and actually laughed and rolled his eyes about the talent he was leaving the next guy.

The younger guys on the staff, Polly, Gilstrap, et al, better polish up their resumes and get ready for the January convention.

Massaro has no say in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
I think Shafer is probably still a good coach. He did improve our defense, but he's hamstrung by our lack of ability to attract the level of talent we need to be competitive.

Sorry man, MT football is diseased. It's like a tooth that needs a root canal.

If you've got a bum tooth - you got to go through the treatment to get rid of it. It's going to suck, involve pain, make you uncomfortable, it's mentally taxing and stressful. No one wants to have a root canal.

But If you don't, it's only going to get worse. At this point, MT football needs to go to the dentist, and get that root canal done. There's no sense in waiting, hoping for the best that it'll go away. it doesn't make you a bad fan or a non-supporter if you want to get it done - all you're doing is prolonging the suffering. Or, maybe even making it worse (like I said in another post, there may be a point of no return here).

I'm pulling for anything that moves that root canal appointment up.

Frankly, the time for the proverbial “root canal” was 2012 whenever we were boat raced at Arkansas State for a Sun Belt regular season championship and we lost 0-45. Or with our loss in the Armed Forces bowl game with Navy the following year in Forth Worth. 2020 is far too late for a “root canal” or a “crown”: we need proverbial “extraction” and “new implants” to make our program more respectable as FBS member and be relevant to the Murfreesboro community. It wouldn’t surprise me if APSU came to Murfreesboro and played us this year, the Governors would earn a victory. That’s how far I think we have declined and how much I trust our current leadership: I see us like it was in the Ben Hurt days back in the seventies dating from my early childhood. Does anyone think we can run the table after seeing how we did in the last two games and coming off 4-8? Sure, I and everyone else here wants to will all games, all the time, be ranked in the top 15, and be the talk of college 🏈 like Boise, Memphis, or App. State has been recently.

But, one has to be real about the commitment we exhibit and the performance that our coaching staff imparts and how it translates to talent we have on the field. It isn’t acceptable no matter how one slices it on September 25, 2020. Something must change if we are to regain credibility. I’m taking a tough love attitude with my attendance, time and money with sports at MT. It’s that simple.

I would kill for .500 right now. There is no way in hell we win more than a game this year and that's a big IF at that. The best case scenario is that we don't win another game and Stock eventually gets shown the door along with Massro. I won't actively route against us but I'm not sad about losing right now if it gets us closer to a regime change. I'd love for us to get Neal Brown once they drum him out at WV.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I would kill for .500 right now. There is no way in hell we win more than a game this year and that's a big IF at that. The best case scenario is that we don't win another game and Stock eventually gets shown the door along with Massro. I won't actively route against us but I'm not sad about losing right now if it gets us closer to a regime change. I'd love for us to get Neal Brown once they drum him out at WV.

Rhett Lashay

I would love for us to win games. Any games. No way we do that but .500 is always better than 0. However, I want Stock gone so zero is good. The person who started this post said best case scenario was .500. I said that would be great since there is no way in hell we achieve that. We are not even close to a .500 team now. That was my point. Sorry you missed that.

ADVERTISEMENT