ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Baseball commit.......

Is that supposed to be good enough for D1?

No, unless you have excellent control and movement.

Edit to add - you can be very good in the high 80s, but there are staffs now that are loaded with guys bringing 90+.

Last edited:
What year is he? See basing things on potential get's coaches fired. You need players that throw hard and then teach them control

88 is plenty of velocity to be a successful D1 pitcher. Everyone is always concerned with velocity, when many other factors mean so much more. Movement of the fastball, speed difference between fastball and off-speed pitches, the number of other pitches he can throw consistently, etc. is more important than the difference between 88 and 92. Give me a lefty at 88 with good movement on his fastball and 2-3 other pitches over a righty that throws 92 with no movement and a curveball.

88 is plenty of velocity to be a successful D1 pitcher. Everyone is always concerned with velocity, when many other factors mean so much more. Movement of the fastball, speed difference between fastball and off-speed pitches, the number of other pitches he can throw consistently, etc. is more important than the difference between 88 and 92. Give me a lefty at 88 with good movement on his fastball and 2-3 other pitches over a righty that throws 92 with no movement and a curveball.

I agree with this. Not everyone needs to be Randy Johnson up there slinging heat. Pitchers today need to be much more complete and well rounded. 88 doesn’t bother me so much - with proper weight training and development that can quickly sneak into the 90’s and we’ll never discuss it again. Now the fact that he’s already had TJ surgery on the other hand, that’s certainly concerning, so I guess we’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT