Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt from a long interview with uconn women's basketball coach:

...Q. You've read a lot about the state of the men's college game this
year, that the game is not as fluid, efficient, exciting, well played as
it has been in years past. There's many reasons people would surmise
that from more freshman, sophomores playing than juniors and seniors. I
know you are obviously an authority on the women's game and your team.
But you're a basketball coach and a basketball fan, so you see a lot of
men's college basketball. What has been your thought about where you
see the state of the men's game is right now?

HEAD COACH GENO AURIEMMA: It's funny, you asked me that, I just had a
conversation with Phil Martelli yesterday and I think he's the president
on the ABC board of directors or whatever.

And we had this conversation and we talked a lot about where the game is
and what the future of the game is. And obviously it's immensely
popular. You look at the interest paid on the NCAA tournament. I don't
know that it's as immensely popular during the regular season as it
used to be, but obviously the tournament is just at another world when
it comes to that.

Having said that, I think the game is a joke. It really is. I don't
coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand all the ins and outs
of it. But as a spectator, forget that I'm a coach, as a spectator,
watching it, it's a joke. There's only like ten teams, you know, out of
25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like
to watch. Every coach will tell you that there's 90 million reasons for
it.

And the bottom line is that nobody can score, and they'll tell you it's
because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of team work, nonsense,
nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's
unbelievable. I mean women's basketball is behind the times. Men's
basketball is even further behind the times. Every other major sport in
the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end
of the floor. They've moved in the fences in baseball, they lowered
the mound. They made the strike zone so you need a straw to put through
it. And in the NFL you touch a guy it's a penalty. You hit the
quarterback, you're out for life. You know, in the NBA, you touch
somebody in the perimeter, you whack guys like they used to do when
scores were 90 to 75, they changed the rules.

This is entertainment we're talking about. People have to decide, do I
want to play 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where
everybody misses six out of every ten shots they take, or do I want to
go to a movie? We're fighting for the entertainment dollar, here, and I
have to tell you it's not entertainment from a fan's standpoint.

So that's just‑‑ I'm talking as a fan, not as Geno, Auriemma, the basketball coach.

A to the Men. Back when I lived in the Boro, I enjoyed watching the WBB team. It was full court, it was fun, and it was fundamentally sound. Watching the men's basketball team was as interesting as watching paint dry. For years, people thought I was crazy that I preferred WBB to mens, but I don't feel so crazy now

They need to make the game more NBA-like.

A Travesty!!! you say?

Nope. the 35 second shot clock allows teams to just s....l......o.........w........the game down into nothing.

In theory and also in practice, the shot clock difference could lead to 32 more possessions (and shots and steals and generally stuff happening) over a 40 minute game, rather than just a guy taking his time dribbling up the court or passing around the perimeter of a zone defense.

Also, the longer shot clock, since it allows teams to waste more time - increases the terrible fouls-and-free-throws-forever ending of games. This is absurd. This should be the most exciting, fastest, most urgent part of the game - instead, we get 2 minutes stretched into 10 minutes of a game of HORSE. This is just awful.

This would be like MT and WKU playing in football, fighting their way through 59 minutes of hell and the score is like 38-34 and instead of one of the teams attempting a legendary final drive - they all of a sudden stop play so that they can decide the game with a field goal kicking contest - with all the attendant stops in play, commercial breaks, timeouts, etc.

Whats most interesting is that CKD style feeds Geno's theory.

I think moving to a 30 sec clock, get rid of the 10 sec rule to get across half court would be helpful. I also think moving the 3pt line out to NBA would bring back the 12-15 foot shot.

Lastly, the aggressive D needs to be controlled more - not sure how we would adjust under current leadership.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:
Whats most interesting is that CKD style feeds Geno's theory.

I think moving to a 30 sec clock, get rid of the 10 sec rule to get across half court would be helpful. I also think moving the 3pt line out to NBA would bring back the 12-15 foot shot.

Lastly, the aggressive D needs to be controlled more - not sure how we would adjust under current leadership.
Agree to the first, but keep the 3point line where it is at.

I absolutely hate the slow it down 50-49 score in a basketball game.

And this from the person who IMHO has done (not intentionally) more to destroy my interest in the women's game (except when the LRs are playing) than anyone. I just don't care to watch meaningless tournament games if the reality is that the team we "love to hate" has virtually a lock on National Championships. The men's game will be hurt similarly should Calipari be allowed to dominate equally for an extended period of time.

As for what is wrong with the men's game: I would like to see play in the post cleaned up - there are two many touch fouls called on the perimeter and way too many obvious fouls missed in the paint. Other than that I am happy with the game. I like it when coaching is in the game and the best talent does not always win. (A reason for Davis to play the way he does) I also like the strategy to extend the game (coaching) so foul shooting contests at the end of a game do not bother me at all. As for the three pt. line. Get rid of it, extend it, move it in, I could care less - although I agree that there is too little emphasis of the mid-range game. The shot clock, no opinion either - I enjoyed the game before the shot clock and my enjoyment of the game would probably not be affected by a shorter clock, but; don't want the clock too short which would remove running offense and (here it is again) coaching from the game.

As to Geno and UConn - They are head and shoulders the best program. I watch the game against TX - TX had a 6'7" post who is a good player - UConn made her and the rest of the team look silly. I would not like to see how we would fare against them.

They are definitely the team you love to hate.

UCONN is good, but I'm not sure how much their dominance ALONE has affected the perception and popularity of women's basketball. IMO, what seems to be the case more than NCAA MBB is that the WBB final 4 seems to be made up of 4 of the same 6 teams every year and there are less Cinderella stories in the WBB bracket because NCAA WBB is so top heavy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT