ADVERTISEMENT

Attention MT admin/BOT

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012

a good employee is the worst employee....

he ain't wrong. I fired a good employee recently. He wasn't bad. Just average. He wouldn't push the throttle or ever act with a sense of urgency. No self pride or initiative. He did the job but nothing more.

It depends. You have to cultivate and lead them too greatness at their jobs. They can't be guessing at expectations either.

That’s silly. As someone who has overseen large groups of people, you can’t always have superstars. I mean that would be nice, but it’s just not possible and you can’t keep those people long. Some jobs you just need people that are consistent and reliable. People that aren’t looking for a promotion ever 2 months.

Reactions: Blue_H
In leadership...it's not possible?!?!?!

Yes, you do not keep those people long but you try to rehire consistently.......

surely you jest....

I distinctly remember the first time I heard: A person should be able to tell an interviewer where he/she hoped to be in X number of years. Additionally, a good employee should hope to be in his supervisors' job within X (usually around 5 years) number of years. Many are just trying to make it through the day and don't have time to think that much about the future and some careers have so few levels that one would reach their potential by their early 30s.
I also heard one CEO state that one shouldn't keep anyone past their probationary period unless they were already in the upper 25% of all employees. Seriously?
All the above some new age mgt. theories during the time of Drucker and Covey which look good on paper. I agree with Sommy: There is a place for a "good" employee in all organizations.

As for McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill: Perhaps The Peter Principle is valid for all three

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT