ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Attendance

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
It was nice to see some folks sitting in the bleachers last night, but there were still plenty of empty seats in the bowl. Seems MT attendance is on an uptick, but the announced attendance was wide of the mark by at least a couple of thousand, but the trend is good when there seem to be a lot of empty seats all over college basketball.

Vandy's gym for our game looked from my vantage point to be around a third full, and Kermit said on the post game show last night that our crowd at vandy was louder than the contingent of vandy fans on hand.

Noticed an article in the memphis paper lamenting the stinking pile of crap that memphis basketball attendance is, as well.

Incrementally we are growing. Some of those empy's are season ticket holders who couldn't make it, I will fall into that camp during some of the games due to work travel. The Boro is a "tough" crowd. When we get back for conference play, I really want to see the student section growing. Last night was the first time we had more than a 100 students, not counting the pep band and cheerleaders.

When we played VCU last year, I thought that we should do whatever it takes to get that type of support.

I honestly think MT students, in general, are just not connected. Don't get me started on the Boro's population. The blue collars and transplants don't exactly care.

Incrementally we are growing. Some of those empy's are season ticket holders who couldn't make it, I will fall into that camp during some of the games due to work travel. The Boro is a "tough" crowd. When we get back for conference play, I really want to see the student section growing. Last night was the first time we had more than a 100 students, not counting the pep band and cheerleaders.
Yeah this time of year is tough on people. Our tailgate group bought tickets together this year. 17 people and about half were first time season ticket buyers. Only about 8 made it last night because of Xmas parties etc. Whit said about 15 minutes before tip there were only 20 lower bowl seats left. I'm sure those were gone. Plus while it was a good student crowd the ones behind the behind band were empty. I think we had about 6k there. Not terrible for this time a year.

ADVERTISEMENT