ADVERTISEMENT

Asher and the "Defense"

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
So, one of things I talked about earlier in the year when people were calling for Asher's head is that 1) he has the talent and ability and 2) he needed to stay in and get the one thing he just didn't have much of which was game experience. I think he got better down the stretch. There isn't a single coach on this staff that I don't believe is worthy of being removed including Franklin, but one area I will give Franklin credit is that he did do a nice job progressing Asher through the year. Down the stretch Asher looked more comfortable in the pocket, stayed in the pocket longer, and went through progressions more than he did in the first half.

Asher ended up leading the league in total offense and was second in touchdowns. He out rushed all but three running backs while still throwing for over 2700 yards. Dwight Dasher had arguably one of the best seasons for any QB in 2009, so how did Asher's season compare to Dashers?

Rating
Ohara: 143.3
Dasher: 125.6

TD/INT Ratio
Ohara: 20/8
Dasher 23/14

Passing Yards
Ohara: 2752
Dasher: 2789

Completion Pct
Ohara: 61.6%
Dasher: 54.9%

Rushing Yards
Ohara: 1140 (5.4 ypc)
Dasher 1154 (5.2 ypc)

And Dasher had one more extra game than did Asher. Dasher also had an offensive line and running game aside from just himself. DD Kyles rushed for nearly 900 yards and in total MT backs produced an additional 1,264 yards. In contrast, MT backs only supported Asher with an additional 1000 yards and not other back had more than 300. We just witnessed one of the greatest full year quarterback performances by someone not named Brent Stockstill in the school's history.

So, what was the difference? Defense. The 2009 team only allowed 23 points per game (vs. 30 this year) which gave the 2009 offense more opportunity. If we would have had the 2009 defense this year we would have won 10 games again most likely. And Asher's numbers would have been even bigger (well over 3000 yards passing and probably 1500 rushing), because he would have had more possessions per game and one or possibly two more full games. Defensively not only did we allow 30 ppg we also gave up

459 ypg in 2019
355 ypp in 2009

Third down defense
2019: 44%
2009: 36%

Tackles for loss
2019: 63
2009: 112

To me that last one is the most telling. Nearly 2-to-1. We were one of the worst teams in the nation at getting sacks and TFLs. We got no penetration up front and were consistently pushed off the ball, which is one of the easiest things to see on a football field - who is controlling the line of scrimmage. As has been pointed out when your safeties lead the team in tackles that's not a good sign.

And we know Shafer is a good coach and a good DC. His defenses have historically been good. What we don't have is players. We aren't recruiting well enough. We aren't recruiting well enough to be a contender in this league and haven't been for some time. Our defensive linemen look like linebackers. Our freaking linebackers look like swimmers. When we talk about what change we need. If CRS is here forever then he better get rid of his dead weight coaches who aren't getting after it on the recruiting trail regardless of how close he is with his buddies on the staff. This isn't the bingo retirement parlor.

As I said, short of significant change. I'm done. I won't step foot in that place nor will I continue to give my money if everyone in Cope and Murphy are going to continue to support this. Significant change to me means these assistant coaches who aren't getting the job done - at a minimum - must be removed.

Last edited:
The thought/hope running around in the back of my head has been that maybe Massaro would wake the hell up and demand some pretty draconian changes from CRS on his staff and the way he does things. Changes so distasteful that CRS would decide, the hell with this, I've made enough, saved enough, and I want to enjoy a retirement with my wife and spend time with my kids and any potential grand kids there may be in the future.

The only recruiter MT had left a year ago. While not holding my breath, some asst coaches that can recruit just might help a little.

Either way it's unlikely coach stock is suddenly going to change and install a major change in culture to winning.

I've also grown sick of hearing all the excuses of injuries as the reason for the end of season failures. Like no other team battles injuries.

If it is a bigger problem for MT as suggested, what are the coaches doing with the team? Training, workouts, offseason prep? Poor practice management? Are injuries a byproduct of recruiting players who are too small to really even belong on this level?

I'm starting to wonder if the injuries are embellished. Literally every season all we hear about is poor us, injuries injuries injuries. ......

In the long run, injuries should even out over time and if they're not it's because your staff is doing something wrong.

Our playcalling in 2010 was better than it is now. Dasher extended drives better and the line blocked better. We also led the nation in turnover margin and was in the top 5 in TOP. That matters too.

Our playcalling in 2010 was better than it is now. Dasher extended drives better and the line blocked better. We also led the nation in turnover margin and was in the top 5 in TOP. That matters too.

We were 110th in the nation in time of possession in '09.

I think Dasher had a few more weapons....the overall team size was bigger.

Asher has been amazing, I don't know how the kid survived. I irony is he was taking a lot of heat from his own coaches yet kept balling.

From a size perspective, we have a D-AA size. We really got small on D this year. And what the hell happened to our Oline?

We were 110th in the nation in time of possession in '09.
Stuckstill has learned (become more conservative?) to be a head coach on the job - and it hasn't been to the benefit of MT....

MAYBE he will learn enough to start winning 10+ games each year but I doubt it.

So, one of things I talked about earlier in the year when people were calling for Asher's head is that 1) he has the talent and ability and 2) he needed to stay in and get the one thing he just didn't have much of which was game experience. I think he got better down the stretch. There isn't a single coach on this staff that I don't believe is worthy of being removed including Franklin, but one area I will give Franklin credit is that he did do a nice job progressing Asher through the year. Down the stretch Asher looked more comfortable in the pocket, stayed in the pocket longer, and went through progressions more than he did in the first half.

Asher ended up leading the league in total offense and was second in touchdowns. He out rushed all but three running backs while still throwing for over 2700 yards. Dwight Dasher had arguably one of the best seasons for any QB in 2009, so how did Asher's season compare to Dashers?

Rating
Ohara: 143.3
Dasher: 125.6

TD/INT Ratio
Ohara: 20/8
Dasher 23/14

Passing Yards
Ohara: 2752
Dasher: 2789

Completion Pct
Ohara: 61.6%
Dasher: 54.9%

Rushing Yards
Ohara: 1140 (5.4 ypc)
Dasher 1154 (5.2 ypc)

And Dasher had one more extra game than did Asher. Dasher also had an offensive line and running game aside from just himself. DD Kyles rushed for nearly 900 yards and in total MT backs produced an additional 1,264 yards. In contrast, MT backs only supported Asher with an additional 1000 yards and not other back had more than 300. We just witnessed one of the greatest full year quarterback performances by someone not named Brent Stockstill in the school's history.

So, what was the difference? Defense. The 2009 team only allowed 23 points per game (vs. 30 this year) which gave the 2009 offense more opportunity. If we would have had the 2009 defense this year we would have won 10 games again most likely. And Asher's numbers would have been even bigger (well over 3000 yards passing and probably 1500 rushing), because he would have had more possessions per game and one or possibly two more full games. Defensively not only did we allow 30 ppg we also gave up

459 ypg in 2019
355 ypp in 2009

Third down defense
2019: 44%
2009: 36%

Tackles for loss
2019: 63
2009: 112

To me that last one is the most telling. Nearly 2-to-1. We were one of the worst teams in the nation at getting sacks and TFLs. We got no penetration up front and were consistently pushed off the ball, which is one of the easiest things to see on a football field - who is controlling the line of scrimmage. As has been pointed out when your safeties lead the team in tackles that's not a good sign.

And we know Shafer is a good coach and a good DC. His defenses have historically been good. What we don't have is players. We aren't recruiting well enough. We aren't recruiting well enough to be a contender in this league and haven't been for some time. Our defensive linemen look like linebackers. Our freaking linebackers look like swimmers. When we talk about what change we need. If CRS is here forever then he better get rid of his dead weight coaches who aren't getting after it on the recruiting trail regardless of how close he is with his buddies on the staff. This isn't the bingo retirement parlor.

As I said, short of significant change. I'm done. I won't step foot in that place nor will I continue to give my money if everyone in Cope and Murphy are going to continue to support this. Significant change to me means these assistant coaches who aren't getting the job done - at a minimum - must be removed.
The funny thing about 2009. The only G5 team MT played in the regular season that finished with a winning record was Troy (a loss). FWIW, NOLA Bowl opponent finished the season with a 7-6 record

I drove down that Tuesday night to witness that loss to Troy. Nationally televised espn game.

My family and friends know that is around the time my wheels came off for stock. Totally unprepared.

The first time I knew Stock didn’t have it was during the Virginia game. He played not to lose. And we lost.

The funny thing about 2009. The only G5 team MT played in the regular season that finished with a winning record was Troy (a loss). FWIW, NOLA Bowl opponent finished the season with a 7-6 record

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT