ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Article in The Tennessean this morning on a Memhis commit . . .

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
. . . from nearby BA. This 3-star defensive end commitment apparently committed to Memphis after a UK coach left UK for Arkansas. Quotes from this mid-state player in the article were:

"I like the coaches and I like the fact that I already know some of the players. I feel like I can relate to them. It's also big time football and close to home (emphasis mine)."

This MT fan wonders what this player, along with other mid-state prospects, would have to say about the MTsU FB program?

. . . from nearby BA. This 3-star defensive end commitment apparently committed to Memphis after a UK coach left UK for Arkansas. Quotes from this mid-state player in the article were:

"I like the coaches and I like the fact that I already know some of the players. I feel like I can relate to them. It's also big time football and close to home (emphasis mine)."

This MT fan wonders what this player, along with other mid-state prospects, would have to say about the MTsU FB program?

Memphis just played a ABC Primetime game last year and won in front of a packed house. At this moment they are big time program.

Reactions: Tyler Pellom
Well, this head coach even when it looked like he was moving in the direction of a building a big time program didn’t sell it as such. His schtick was to keep selling the same small time things that ensured a cap and a plateau on how far he could take the program. He has never managed to capitalize on his limited successes. Recruits and sells the same way regardless of the dumpster fire he inherited or coming of an 8/10 win season.

Trust me, you don’t want to know.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Gotta get to a bowl game to lose it, to be fair.
We've been to bowls 7 out of the last 11 years and we were BE for 7 years in a row but thanks for joining the party. We are also 5-2 vs. Memphis in the modern era since you seem to be new.

Last edited:
JT. You sound like Memphis basketball fans living in the past. We beat Memphis when they were at their absolute lowest in football. Grant it you play your schedule. In the past five years they have replaced the president, had two coaches go on to p5 programs and been ranked in top 25. MT has been the same for 15 years.
At the present we are no where near the level of their program with zero chance of reaching top G5 status.
Unless someone drops 50 m or more on us we are stuck in neutral.

We've been to bowls 7 out of the last 11 years and we were BE for 7 years in a row but thanks for joining the party. We are also 5-2 vs. Memphis in the modern era since you seem to be new.
Just kidding around, of course.

there’s no question Memphis is on another level right now. Doesn’t mean it has to stay that way.

A 2nd area commit to Memphis was reported in yesterday's Tennessean. His comment: "The football program is one of the top programs in the country and I think they will only get better."

My reason for starting this thread was not to compare our program to Memphis nor was it to compare their conference or level of support to MT's. Even though both schools are in G5 conferences obviously Memphis has many advantages over MT and is a much better place at this time; my interest was in how each program is viewed by local recruits.

I would think it was only a few years ago [early in the 6(?) game series] that we would have been seen as similar programs by most prospects. Obviously that has changed to the detriment of MT. A lot happened in Memphis with which we had no easy answer. Just how much the PTB in Cope and Murphy Ctr. are responsible is debatable.

A 2nd area commit to Memphis was reported in yesterday's Tennessean. His comment: "The football program is one of the top programs in the country and I think they will only get better."

My reason for starting this thread was not to compare our program to Memphis nor was it to compare their conference or level of support to MT's. Even though both schools are in G5 conferences obviously Memphis has many advantages over MT and is a much better place at this time; my interest was in how each program is viewed by local recruits.

I would think it was only a few years ago [early in the 6(?) game series] that we would have been seen as similar programs by most prospects. Obviously that has changed to the detriment of MT. A lot happened in Memphis with which we had no easy answer. Just how much the PTB in Cope and Murphy Ctr. are responsible is debatable.

One of the local commits dad is a MT grad and I believe he played for MT as well.

Meanwhile..............
https://gotigersgo.com/news/2020/6/17/tiger-football-cuts-ribbon-on-new-indoor-facility.aspx

0c3c906f-81b9-44fc-b3fc-90a75dc96b5e-DSC05753.jpg

If we've got X amount of dollars like CM says, I don't see why we can't at least get started. Do the roof and turf like UAB has then frame in the walls and offices down the road.

I'm just tired of defending my school and its not decisions to nearly every casual football fan I meet.

ADVERTISEMENT