ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Arizona Transfer OL Jamari Williams Commits to Middle Tennessee

LOTS of players hitting the portal from bigger programs. They don't want to just sit, they want to play. MT gives them that opportunity.

I'm telling you - the transfer portal is the future of recruiting for a program like us. It's a game changer if handled well. BUT - this staff has to actually embrace it as a way to upgrade talent we missed out on the first go around. Not sure they know how to do that.

LOTS of players hitting the portal from bigger programs. They don't want to just sit, they want to play. MT gives them that opportunity.

I'm telling you - the transfer portal is the future of recruiting for a program like us. It's a game changer if handled well. BUT - this staff has to actually embrace it as a way to upgrade talent we missed out on the first go around. Not sure they know how to do that.

The problem coaches when over utilizing the transfer portal is its used against them in High School recruiting. Coaches from other programs will talk about your JuCo and Transfer portal usage as a way to indicate that your program doesn't invest and develop talent on their roster AND/OR allowing those transfer to jump players on the depth chart. Both JuCo and transfer portal need to be used judiciously or else you do even worse in High School recruiting and you're left with unproven JuCo and Transfer Portal talent.

Don't get me wrong there's obviously some good talent in both but the reality is some P5 kids are recruited due to size and fundamentally don't have the skill or toughness to compete at that level or a lower level.

The transfer portal doesn’t help a player build allegiance to an alma mater. It’s become nothing more than coaches selling kids on getting playing time to get to “the league” which we all know what that real percentage is.

The transfer portal doesn’t help a player build allegiance to an alma mater. It’s become nothing more than coaches selling kids on getting playing time to get to “the league” which we all know what that real percentage is
Athletes want to play the game, regardless of the future, so I don't blame people for seeking better opportunities for playing time.

The transfer portal doesn’t help a player build allegiance to an alma mater. It’s become nothing more than coaches selling kids on getting playing time to get to “the league” which we all know what that real percentage is.

I'm way more concerned with getting better talent and a good product on the field than I am about how they help build allegiance. Those things will come with more success.

What's wrong with selling playing time? I would think every kid aspires to either keep playing in the NFL or to earn a degree and play at a high level on the field. If not, why even play?

Giving kids a "chance" to show what they can do is what the portal is all about in my eyes. If they are buried 3 deep on the depth chart at Georgia, there is virtually NO way they will get a shot to play at the next level and maybe only a handful of snaps in college. Transfer to MT and you can plan now! It's a great scenario for schools like MT to potentially upgrade talent.

Well every high school coach is going to have an issue with all the coaches around the country. All the coaches have a win now mentality and they will take an older kid that knows what the college grind is over a high school who is not the 4 and 5 star.

I'm way more concerned with getting better talent and a good product on the field than I am about how they help build allegiance. Those things will come with more success.

What's wrong with selling playing time? I would think every kid aspires to either keep playing in the NFL or to earn a degree and play at a high level on the field. If not, why even play?

Giving kids a "chance" to show what they can do is what the portal is all about in my eyes. If they are buried 3 deep on the depth chart at Georgia, there is virtually NO way they will get a shot to play at the next level and maybe only a handful of snaps in college. Transfer to MT and you can plan now! It's a great scenario for schools like MT to potentially upgrade talent.
I’m more concerned for the other 98% who are fed this NFL crap, then pushed out the door after 4-5 years with a watered down interdisciplinary studies degree that leaves many of them unemployable without a skill set or a trade. That degree won’t even qualify them for a high school coaching position. It only looks good for college position openings which are pretty scarce.
I got a call from a friend on behalf of a friend seeking any help on a GA position for his son who is a brand new MT graduate. I text messaged the HC of another school I am affiliated with and he’s having trouble finding spots for his own guys who were “volunteers” last season.

I’m more concerned for the other 98% who are fed this NFL crap, then pushed out the door after 4-5 years with a watered down interdisciplinary studies degree that leaves many of them unemployable without a skill set or a trade. That degree won’t even qualify them for a high school coaching position. It only looks good for college position openings which are pretty scarce.
If not for sports, most of these kids wouldn't be in college.... I would like to see trades (mechanic, electrical, culinary etc.) offered so that more kids would benefit after their college careers are over.

An alternative would be to eliminate college sports. It would force the pro leagues to expand their minor league systems.

Plenty of jobs out there for college athletes if they want to put the work in. Ex players normally have a great work ethic, fun stories, and know how to have a good time. I would recommend a major in business in some way shape or form and the sky’s the limit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT