ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Arena being renamed

Wonderful idea to recognize Earle. I had the pleasure of riding the elevator in The Murph with Coach Earle recently. He didn't remember me from my time taking his coaching class (why would he) but regardless we had a nice conversation.
To this old timer Ken Trickey laid the foundation for the modern era of MT men's BkB, Earle built the building after Trickey left for ORU.
Often thought a statue to Earle should be placed at the main entrance to The Murph. Except their isn't any one main entrance (possibly there will be after the renovations take place in a few (?) years. LOL

Are you kidding me? M&M or Beavis and Butt-Head are again demonstrating their inability to understand identity, public perception, and branding. It's going to be more added identity confusion around MTSU athletics and the Univ as a whole. Why not? Why break tradition when you insist on the name Middle Tennessee State University?

Standard disclaimer, yes it's good to recognize success and people who poured such hard work into the university. It's the implementation of yet another confusing lengthy identifying name.

Reactions: Blue_H
Are you kidding me? M&M or Beavis and Butt-Head are again demonstrating their inability to understand identity, public perception, and branding. It's going to be more added identity confusion around MTSU athletics and the Univ as a whole. Why not? Why break tradition when you insist on the name Middle Tennessee State University?

Standard disclaimer, yes it's good to recognize success and people who poured such hard work into the university. It's the implementation of yet another confusing lengthy identifying name.

Like I said last night when is the last time MT made a good decision? You hit the nail on the head about identity. They simply don't get it. We shouldn't be surprised given the lack of attention support given to our most public element of our brand - the name.

Agree, it's good to recognize our past successes. Is this the best way? Kermit was significantly more successful.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Wonderful idea to recognize Earle. I had the pleasure of riding the elevator in The Murph with Coach Earle recently. He didn't remember me from my time taking his coaching class (why would he) but regardless we had a nice conversation.
To this old timer Ken Trickey laid the foundation for the modern era of MT men's BkB, Earle built the building after Trickey left for ORU.
Often thought a statue to Earle should be placed at the main entrance to The Murph. Except their isn't any one main entrance (possibly there will be after the renovations take place in a few (?) years. LOL

I agree it’s an excellent honor to recognize Coach Earle. He was a great ambassador of MT and enjoyed great career success. The only problem I see is optics, Is Hale-Earle Arena at the Murphy Center the best presentation of this recognition? It’s believed to be the most efficient as another stated. That’s why an organization has to be very careful on naming buildings, fields, diamonds, and courts. Who is to say MT doesn’t have a wildly successful coach 30, 40, 50 years from now that wins multiple conference titles and gets us competitive nationally...what then? One cannot demote Monte Hale Sr. and now Jimmy Earle for Arena naming without serious optics ramifications. I guess it would be a “Court” or if MT got a new sports arena many years from now the naming of that facility. But, naming also limits visibility of corporate sponsors that can give us a stream of needed money. What if it became “Welcome to the Historic Roscoe Brown-Charles M. Murphy Athletic Center, Monte Hale/Jimmy Earle Arena and Kermit Davis Court on the Campus of Middle Tennessee State University?” at the start of basketball games? That doesn’t seem to be a viable combination for optics, but in reality that could feasibly happen.

Yes, Kermit was on his way, but when he left for Mississippi, to me he lost that opportunity to have such a legacy stature. But, as I illustrated above it’s wouldn’t be impossible in some circles of thought and a future coach earning such an honor would make branding untenable. There needs to be other visible ways to commemorate a lifetime of success.

Agree that once Davis left he lost the opportunity for such future recognition. I support people who loved this institution and were loyal to the end. Monte Hale is the perfect example. Bubber Murphy and Jimmy Earle, both of whom had the opportunities to go to "bigger" programs and didn't are my heroes.
Don't have a problem with a minor recognition for Davis sometime after he has retired but please, something minor and not naming a building, arena, playing floor, etc. or giving him a statue. He left!
I was appalled when Larry Joe Inman was placed in the MT HOF. He left, and IIRC under suspicious circumstances.

Which one is not like the other one?

Thompson-Boiling

Vaught-Hemingway

Davis-Wade

Monte Hale/Jimmy Earle arena inside the Murphy Center

Rice-Eccles

Judging by the performance of Ole Miss this season, this would be perfect

Surprised at the Ole Miss victory at UGA on Sat. Wasn't expecting the win, much less the margin. Regardless, I guess I'll continue to follow the careers of Buffen (would have been a star at MT), Curry (who knows but you can't coach size), and Fagan (would have made an impact at MT - has been recruited over at UGA). It will not surprise me if Curry and Fagan decide to transfer (not that I am in any way implying that McDevitt should go after them).

ADVERTISEMENT