ADVERTISEMENT

Any positives?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I know it's difficult, but I was curious if there any positives or even potential positives that have come from this season that we can look forward to for 2018.

The emergence of Brad Anderson has been a welcome and needed sight, so we can start there. Also, obviously, we have a legit D-1 defensive coordinator now and our defense is playing much, much better and should continue to do so for a while. Our defense will be even better next year as we don't lose much on that side of the ball. DJ Sanders and Mike Minter won't be easy to replace, but we can do it. Charvarious Ward has been a great contributor for us too but we should be able to find a replacement there. Our defense can be a top 30-40 defense next year depending on the schedule. I still think we finish in the top 50 this year.

Just looking at our roster, we really don't lose much next year. On the offensive side of the ball, we'll lose Connor Trent and Lucas Hamilton but with the way our OL is playing right now, that's probably a positive thing.

Special teams: Replacing Cannon Rooker will be an obvious challenge. Let's hope Crews Holt was worthy of the scholarship and can step right in without missing a beat, but we'll see.

With regards to this year, we need to treat these last 5 games as an audition for next year IMO. A bowl game would help only because it's more practices and another game to get better, but let's not sacrifice anything trying to get there because it isn't that important. Also, if there's any freshman who could potentially help us next year, let's get them out there and get them some experience right now! Go for the medical red-shirt for Brent (if he still has the desire to play of course), and build towards the future.

Lastly, it's all gonna come down to the OL play. We'll have the QB (assuming Brent plays next year and stays healthy), WR's, RB's, and defense to win a championship. I'm normally not a proponent of JUCO signings (especially with our coaches), but I say go out and sign 3 or 4 JUCO OL (in addition to the 3 current HS commits) and go all in on 2018

Cannon Rooker has been the biggest positive in my eyes. And Walter Brady when he's been healthy.

Blankenship, Brooks, Brady Shafer, Bush, and Anderson have been positives. Im praying that Stock slows down with the recruiting of the wr's and goes and finds some nasty o linemen and a potential gamebreaking RB

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Blankenship, Brooks, Brady Shafer, Bush, and Anderson have been positives.

They will also all be back next year, which is great.

With regards to a game-breaking RB, I'm hoping Zach Dobson can be that guy.

We really shouldn't need to recruit any more WR's with this upcoming class. Maybe 1 or 2 really good one's, but we return everyone and have a great one redshirting in Zeke Cobb.

Reactions: SmithO1906
They will also all be back next year, which is great.

With regards to a game-breaking RB, I'm hoping Zach Dobson can be that guy.

We really shouldn't need to recruit any more WR's with this upcoming class. Maybe 1 or 2 really good one's, but we return everyone and have a great one redshirting in Zeke Cobb.
Yeah from what I understand Dobson was going to play a lot this year had he not gotten hurt

He may be greyshirting. Elijah Dobbins and John Turner aren't listed either but I'm sure they are still on the team also

Great plan to grayshirt those local standouts so we can focus more of our scholarship attention on Juco WR's other Jucos that can't crack the 2 deep.

Reactions: TheBigBluePeach
Great plan to grayshirt those local standouts so we can focus more of our scholarship attention on Juco WR's other Jucos that can't crack the 2 deep.

Maybe we'll sign a JUCO longsnapper with this upcoming class

Out of conference games -
@ Vandy
@ Georgia
@ Kentucky
UT-Martin

Only 5 home games next season, tough out of conference schedule, just gotta hope for health. You would think the defense will only get better next season and the senior seasons for Stock & James should be good, IF IF IF they stay healthy of course.

this is a little off topic, but I just noticed that Kamani Thomas is no longer on the team. I know he battled injuries a lot but he was a really talented back. Did he quit, lose his scholarship , or something else

Positives after the Marshall game.......

1. Stockstill officially can't earn another contract extension this season.

2. We probably won't see Urzua any more this season.

3. Only 4 games left on the schedule

4. Canon Rooker likely solidified himself as the best kicker in the conference with the 50 yard bomb (but this is his last year)

5. We should probably win this week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT