ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Another transfer

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Former EKU F DeAndre Dishman took to Twitter today to announce his transfer:

Dishman will have three to play two at MT. He averaged 11.7ppg and 6.2rbp last year for the Colonels.

Sophomore highlights below:

We need some size. So far we have yet to sign any solid post players 6'-8" and up. This isn't the OVC, you cant be competitive in this league with 6'-7" post players. Hopefully he figures that out before this season starts.

uhhhh

I'm just going to refrain from giving my opinion after this post because I know there's some here who just want to give the man a chance. I think CNM is probably a good coach who can probably do a good job here (eventually) but with a roster like ours I'm not sure Coach K could turn in a good season....

I don't really understand the recruiting philosophy/approach thus far. Maybe we are just taking the best players available regardless of their position? I don't know. We need players, badly, especially for the upcoming season. This signing does not address that. And with regards to the 19-20 season, we really can't do any better? EKU wasn't a bad team, but this guy is undersized to begin with and doesn't have eye popping numbers. Film leaves a lot to be desired as well IMO. EKU played WKU last year and lost by 30.....Dishman scored 6 points in 29 minutes as a starter. Are we sure this kid can play in this conference? I'm beginning to become gravely concerned about the direction of the program.

I'm pretty sure of all Division 1 teams (All 350 of them) in the country, there is not another team out there that has had as much of a roster change as we have. And said roster change has not been for the better....I don't understand how, even with a new coach, we cannot bring in better players considering how much success we've had recently.

Ugh. I just can't see the next 2-3 years going well, which is so unfortunate considering our recent success. We were really on the rise and garnering a lot of national attention and respect. Now is not the time to wither away back into mediocrity.

Oh well.

Last edited:
McDevitt has proven that he can win at a high level consistently with less resources and more recruiting difficulties. I'm not concerned with his recruiting at MT in the slightest.

I’m giving CNM a pass on this next season. Transition is hard and we are feeling the effects of that right now. This was a tough hand to be dealt. I still feel good about the hire and expect to see some positive trends this time next year after a whole year on the job. If recruiting doesn’t improve with a year on the job I may be singing a different tune.

I feel this next season was going to be harder than years past even with CKD on board. Thing didn’t get easier when the recruits bailed but here’s hopin for greener pastures ahead!

Reactions: Hop45
To address Wiley’s concerns...

I agree that we won’t have the success of recent years next season. I think McDevitt is taking the approach of making sure there are enough bodies to have competitive practices. As a basketball coach I know there is no substitute for the best competition being each day of practice. If you only have 6 good players it makes those competitive sessions grueling and tough to watch. I’m okay with getting guys for 19-20. This year may tank hard, but we will be in a good place competitive-wise for next year. I hope McDevitt gets 1 or 2 guys who turn heads in the recruiting world next season. That would do wonders for us.

Im not ok with having a bad season if we can help it. Its hard to rise up and build momentum like we have done recently. I hope he is not thinking that this is a throw away season like your suggesting.

I hope McDevitt gets 1 or 2 guys who turn heads in the recruiting world next season. That would do wonders for us.

There's nothing to indicate that he will do such thing. He's never signed top rated talent. He has signed 2 star players that turned out to be great players, but they were never turning heads in the recruiting world.

Also, I'm not OK with tanking this season and looking ahead to 19-20. Who knows, McDevitt may not even be here for the 19-20 season, stranger things have happened. He needs to continue our tradition of having a very good team on the court. Changing coaches is not an excuse to suck it up, especially with our history of success.

When you want to be recognized and respected as a championship winning, national program then you've gotta bring it every year. No excuses.

Gonzaga, Wichita State, Butler, Rhode Island, SDSU, St. Mary's, Cincinatti....These are all top tier G5 teams that we aspire to be like, right? We want to be thought of in the same breath as these folks, correct? Tell me the last time ANY of those teams had a "bad" season. Literally never happens. They practically make the tournament every year. And they all go through plenty of coaching changes....

We've been good every year for like the last 7 years or something. Much like the teams I listed above. Changing coaches should not change that. Whoever is hired should be able to come in here and keep it rolling. I'm not saying he has to win CUSA (though that is the benchmark Kermit set....) but if we are not Top 3 in the East and winning some signature games, then we've got a problem folks. When's the last time we finished 4th or worse in the East? Probably almost a decade ago...It's very hard to build a program up to the top tier of G5 while it's very easy to crash and burn and find yourself stuck in mediocrity again.....

CNM took a MASSIVE pay raise and with that comes massive expectations. He knows that. And with that being said that's why I've found our recruiting pretty head scratching to this point. Things do NOT look good for the 18-19 season and there's nothing to indicate right now that 19-20 will be any better either....

He's got a ton of work to do...

Last edited:
Reactions: amgtmom
As I said, we “may tank”, but I think the approach is 19-20 with the transfers. Otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten 3 sitters for this season. At the same time those guys will help provide competitive practices immediately. Just looking at the thought process based on what I can see.

Im not ok with having a bad season if we can help it. Its hard to rise up and build momentum like we have done recently. I hope he is not thinking that this is a throw away season like your suggesting.

So true as other posters and I have stated somewhat differently: Hard for a %$&-major to become a "player" in college BkB, very easy to lose what was attained.

It is hard to understand just what McDevitt's plan is for next year. He talked a good game about bringing in players who could help insure that current Srs. (had 4, now only 2 left) have a good final year. Hard to see that happening with the three commits/signees none of which could be eligible next year. The fourth player committed who would be eligible (Crump) appears to have some problem which has prevented his signing.

I do accept the premise that the three in the fold will be good practice players for next year and possibly role players/spot starters when eligible but will we get good value for the scholarship years we are giving up?

My first concern is that Massaro didn't do due diligence with this hire or he was so naive as to believe a new coach would be able to hold on to our signed class. It's clear McDevitt didn't have a list of players to go after in his pocket and the players we have signed so far are, to this fan, terribly disappointing.

Reactions: amgtmom
sWiley- stay away from heights man- I'd hate to see you jump with all this melodrama in your posts... you act like CNM is clueless just because he came to MTSU as if he doesn't know what it takes to coach/recruit suddenly.. CKD and staff left the cupboard absolutely bare and the one decent returning player had other priorities..

To address a few of your hilariously dramatic points though..
Gonzaga hasn't had a coaching change in 20 years and CKD wasn't ever as good as Mark Few who has never missed the NCAA tourney.. Substitute Saint Mary's/Randy Bennett here as well except Bennett went 9-20 his first year..
Gregg Marshall at WSU went 11-20 and 17-17 his first 2 years- first year that's 6 less wins than Turgeon the year prior..
Butler was 14-17 just 4 years ago in Miller's first year before Holtmann took over..
Mick Cronnin went 11-19 and 13-19 his first 2 years at Cincy..
Steve Fisher was 5-23 his first season at San Diego State.. or if you meant South Dakota State- Nagy's first 5 seasons were sub .500

However, please don't mention Rhode Island if you want people to take you seriously in your examples... they went 8-21 Hurley's first year and 14-18 his second (which was just 5 years ago) and haven't been relevant until recently since Jim Harrick was paying Lamar Odom to attend in the late 90s.. 17 years between tourney appearances isn't something to aspire toward...

Point being in all these examples that you mention (sans Gonzaga/Mark Few)- schools and the first year coaches all experienced rebuilds for 1 or 2 years before becoming the programs they are.. using bold type doesn't change these facts.. have some faith my friend- you guys are in good hands with CNM but you've got to have some patience... it's chess not checkers

CNM has signed a few 3 star kids while at UNCA- MaCio Teague, Dylan Smith just off the top of my head without double checking.. So far as stars go- depending on the database/recruiting service you prefer there's usually around 150 4 or 5 star kids each year.. that's less than 10% of all D1 players on scholarship over a 4 year period by the time the one-and-done's move on... how many do you think is reasonable for any non P5 program to sign each year? How many unranked guys got drafted the other night while many 5 star kids didn't? Let the staff continue to evaluate and make decisions based the talent they see and how they envision the kid playing in their system..

I'm sure Draymond Green would have something to say about how 6'7" guys can play in the post.. but then again he was only a 3 star kid coming out of HS.. probably not good enough on paper for MSU

Don't loose sight of the fact that we'll be able to drink a Steel Barrel while watching the team try to play basket ball this year! Look, we're not going to be any good this year and I don't think there is much of anything CNM could have done to make that different. If he'd known that Johnson, Dixon, and Tree were going to have to go, maybe he'd have taken a different approach. I'll say this. I would not want to have inherited the mess he's got on his hands. We need to give him this year and see what he can do with the players he's signed to the 19-20 class. As fans, we need to come to the games and cheer on the team even if we're downright awful compared to how good we've been the last few years. Don't sabotage his future recruiting efforts with negative posts on social media, lagging attendance, and fury on the message boards or we'll run the risk of expediting failure.

Some of you guys crack me up.

Back to Dishman though -- if you don't think he's a player I don't know what I can tell you to convince you otherwise.

I think he's got a skillset that works for him, and probably has never really been challenged to evolve.

As someone pointed out, there's an unwillingness to use his left hand, which is a clear indicator he lacks confidence in it. That can be worked on.

His film indicates he's a guy that's comfortable around the rim, so we don't get a sense of what his mid range or perimeter game is, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

What is evident to me is that A) He's athletic as all get out. He can fly. He can bang in the post. He's got a smooth touch at the rim as well. And B) he looks like a real solid defender. His lateral quickness stands out tremendously, and his ability to play taller in the paint and be a defensive playmaker stands out as well.

I know he doesn't fill a need for this upcoming season (outside of practice and making his teammates better, which I think is often too discounted) but with a year of work I see no reason why he can't step in and be a double-digit point producer for MT.

Not sure what the situation is with crump. He is still tweeting out blue propaganda. Anyone know?

As far as I know he's committed but not yet signed. I could be wrong, but I would have expected some sort of formal communication from the AD by now if he had signed his LOI.

To address a few of your hilariously dramatic points though..
Gonzaga hasn't had a coaching change in 20 years and CKD wasn't ever as good as Mark Few who has never missed the NCAA tourney.. Substitute Saint Mary's/Randy Bennett here as well except Bennett went 9-20 his first year..
Gregg Marshall at WSU went 11-20 and 17-17 his first 2 years- first year that's 6 less wins than Turgeon the year prior..
Butler was 14-17 just 4 years ago in Miller's first year before Holtmann took over..
Mick Cronnin went 11-19 and 13-19 his first 2 years at Cincy..
Steve Fisher was 5-23 his first season at San Diego State.. or if you meant South Dakota State- Nagy's first 5 seasons were sub .500

I'll concede Gonzaga & St. Mary's have not seen turn over, obviously not every school I mentioned was going to experience a lot of changes, but most have.

However, all of the coaches you mentioned having bad years to start with did NOT inherit highly successful teams, and the majority of those "bad" seasons happened so long ago that nobody remembers or cares. The vast majority, if not all, of the coaches you nitpicked out of my school examples came into situations where the previous coach was FIRED, not promoted. HUGE difference.

This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. It's obviously much, much more difficult to turn a bad team into a good team.

How'd SDSU's new coach do after taking over for Steve Fisher this year? I'll help you. Won his damn conference tourney, 22 games, and made it to the first round of the NCAA tournament where they had the game all but won against Houston....That's how you take over a program.

Butler's had a lot of turnover, and besides that one bad year, shall we talk about all the success their coaches have shared?

VCU....from Anthony Grant to Shaka Smart to Will Wade.....Made the NCAA tourney 8 out of 9 years....(Finally had a bad year this last year because they hired a dud)

Last edited:
Don't loose sight of the fact that we'll be able to drink a Steel Barrel while watching the team try to play basket ball this year! Look, we're not going to be any good this year and I don't think there is much of anything CNM could have done to make that different. If he'd known that Johnson, Dixon, and Tree were going to have to go, maybe he'd have taken a different approach. I'll say this. I would not want to have inherited the mess he's got on his hands. We need to give him this year and see what he can do with the players he's signed to the 19-20 class. As fans, we need to come to the games and cheer on the team even if we're downright awful compared to how good we've been the last few years. Don't sabotage his future recruiting efforts with negative posts on social media, lagging attendance, and fury on the message boards or we'll run the risk of expediting failure.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you! It's not going to be pleasant, but CKD left us in a crappy spot that recently got much worse. I'm even willing to give CNM 2 years before I expect to see things getting better. He's got a lot of work to do.

lol? Look at his stats from the WKU game last year...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400990911

Completely dominated by a team who I literally can't remember the last time we lost to. I'm sorry, that's a huge red flag for me and makes me wonder if he can even play as a back up in this conference.

So.........good players can't have an off night? I'm not saying he's going to be a star, but to base your opinion of his ability on one game is ridiculous.

lol? Look at his stats from the WKU game last year...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400990911

Completely dominated by a team who I literally can't remember the last time we lost to. I'm sorry, that's a huge red flag for me and makes me wonder if he can even play as a back up in this conference.

I hate making judgments on any player based off highlights alone. I've never seen Dishman play and I'm not going to say for sure that he will be a valuable player (hope he will be). However, his overall body of work against common opponents of ours last year tells me he has some ability. Maybe not a superstar, but he can contribute.

at Rice, he had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists
at Ole Miss, he had 6 points, 0 rebounds (looks like he was in foul trouble in this game)
at WKU, he had 6 points, 3 rebounds
at Marshall, he had 16 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals
at Murray State, he had 16 points, 3 rebounds, and 6 steals
He had 10 points and 5 rebounds in both games he played against Belmont
at TSU, he had 10 points and 3 rebounds

So in those 8 games against our common opponents (7 of them on the road and most being pretty good teams), he averaged 10.6 points and 4.3 rebounds. He may not be Jacorey Williams, but that's decent production.

Last edited:
Stansbury was able to sign a really good class last season with only 1 returning player. He got Thompson from Virginia, Colby from Kansas, and that PG (whatever his name is) from Buffalo. I was hoping McDevitt would be able to do something similar to keep things rolling but they may be unrealistic. In my opinion, all we really need is a good 6-8 or above post player with some muscle to keep things rolling. Gamble,Massenburg, and Hawthorne can rotate out at the other post position. Sims is a better PG than Dixon no loss there. Antonio Green is an excellent three point shooter that helps replace the loss of Giddy. That leaves Shelton-Szmidt and newcomer Reggie Scurry at the three spot. I actually think we could be good again next year with the group we have. If we could just snag one sold post player to play immediately. That's the frustrating part. We haven't signed any yet, when we are so close to having a good roster for next year. He may be trying to get that player. I know we was hyped as being a good recruiter, so I was hoping to see some big time players signed immediately. Stansbury has done it at Western. And before any of you say it, I know he hasn't had a lot of time. I understand that but coaches have recruited well in similar circumstances before, so it's not unheard of.

All that being said, I am by no means giving up on him or will be discouraged if we have a down season this coming year. I believe he will be a good coach once he settles in. I was just hoping that we would be able to build off of the momentum and exposure that Kermit built and not to slip back into medicracity

Amazing the caliber of player Stansbury was able to bring in his first year at WKU. Compare that to our haul thus far....and well....the streak ain't gonna continue that's for sure.

In fact the streak may be going the other way. WKU is bringing in the #9 ranked player in the country this year to play right away in Charles Bassey...(We have nobody on our roster who can defend Bassey or score on him in the paint)

Don't worry though we got an EKU transfer coming in who can play 18 months down the road....

I'm really trying to be objective here. I'm really wanting to like CNM. I thought he was a home-run hire when we hired him. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't gravely concerned about our recruiting though. The caliber of player WKU is bringing in vs. what we are signing is very alarming to me. It was even alarming when Kermit was here. Now it's DEFCON 5 kind of worry.

Last edited:
It's not amazing for Rick $tansbury.. anyone recall why he was suspended while he was at Austin Peay or why the NCAA was looking into recruiting practices while at MSU? Old dogs, old tricks most likely..

I really don't care how he's doing it to be honest and as a Head Coach I don't believe he's ever been caught cheating, so there's that. He isn't doing anything that most other power programs are not doing. He's ALWAYS been a great recruiter. He signed very highly regarded players at Miss St. as well. Did he win big with them? No - But he had some pretty good teams and I'm sure he learned a thing or two fom his time at Miss St. to make him a better coach at WKU.

I do think CNM is going to have success at MT. I just hope it comes in years 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4. We have a lot of good will built up on the national scene right now from the last decade or so and it'd be a shame to lose it all because of 2 bad seasons.

Last edited:
I hate making judgments on any player based off highlights alone. I've never seen Dishman play and I'm not going to say for sure that he will be a valuable player (hope he will be). However, his overall body of work against common opponents of ours last year tells me he has some ability. Maybe not a superstar, but he can contribute.

at Rice, he had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists
at Ole Miss, he had 6 points, 0 rebounds (looks like he was in foul trouble in this game)
at WKU, he had 6 points, 3 rebounds
at Marshall, he had 16 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals
at Murray State, he had 16 points, 3 rebounds, and 6 steals
He had 10 points and 5 rebounds in both games he played against Belmont
at TSU, he had 10 points and 3 rebounds

So in those 8 games against our common opponents (7 of them on the road and most being pretty good teams), he averaged 10.6 points and 4.3 rebounds. He may not be Jacorey Williams, but that's decent production.

In the big picture he's a serviceable bench player depending on the aspirations you have for your team. 16 points @ Marshall might look good but we all know Marshall can give up a ton of points and play loose defense when ahead. Marshall won their game still by 20+ points. The only performance that honestly wows me from those numbers Randall is the Murray game. Murray had a great team, played great D, and he hung 16 on them with 6 steals to boot. That's one good performance in seven games though.....

I guess I just look at these things differently than most people. There's 2 questions I instantly think of when I see a recruit signed that run through my head......

1. Is this the caliber of player that's going to come here and help us win multiple CUSA regular season and tournament championships and be a star in this league? Yes or no.

2. Is this the caliber of player that's going to come here and help us win NCAA tournament games? Yes or no.

Do you guys really think this EKU transfer is that high caliber of a player? Be honest with me. His numbers are respectable and serviceable but do you think that's going to be enough to win CUSA?

Guys, CUSA is getting stronger with every passing year. Our conference has won it's first round NCAA tournament game 4 consecutive years and none of the games have been a fluke. We've had the better team every time. WKU is bringing in top shelf players that most ACC and SEC schools would envy. Marshall has a coach that can run circles around most in this league with a whole bench full of pure blooded athletes. Old Dominion is a rock-solid team year in, year out who will eventually break through. UAB is tradition rich and always has a competitive, athletic, championship caliber product on the floor. North Texas just won the CBI and has a roster loaded with young, talented, athletic players. Erik Konkol @ La. Tech is one of the most underrated coaches in the G5 and will have a talented young team back next year. UTEP has been way down but with their tradition it won't be long until they're beating @$$ again.....

Conference USA is a seriously good and seriously underrated basketball conference that is getting better with every passing year. We have got to start bringing in better players here or it isn't gonna be pretty.....

I am not sure if he will be a starter, star, or a role player after sitting out a year. I do know we cannot judge the talent/skill of a player based on the school he went to out of high school. His ability to play in CUSA is being questioned, but he comes from a league (OVC) with more current NBA players than the CUSA. I am not saying the OVC is better than CUSA, but they obviously do have some talented players. I think if CNM and his staff develop him over the next year and he can give us similar numbers we will be more than happy.

I am concerned about next year as well though. I do think we need to use any remaining scholarships we have on players that can play right away (preferably 6'8" and above). I looked at a transfer tracker the other day and there are not a lot of those type of players left that would be able to make a difference for us. I think I counted around 4-5 D1 transfers that fit what we need. I only counted players with decent numbers. I know Vandy has a transfer big man. Baptiste? I did not look at JUCO, but the name Nick Marshall definitely comes to mind. We shall see.

I really don't care how he's doing it to be honest and as a Head Coach I don't believe he's ever been caught cheating, so there's that. He isn't doing anything that most other power programs are not doing. He's ALWAYS been a great recruiter. He signed very highly regarded players at Miss St. as well. Did he win big with them? No - But he had some pretty good teams and I'm sure he learned a thing or two fom his time at Miss St. to make him a better coach at WKU.

I do think CNM is going to have success at MT. I just hope it comes in years 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4. We have a lot of good will built up on the national scene right now from the last decade or so and it'd be a shame to lose it all because of 2 bad seasons.

All that good will got us when the committee met to select teams was a snub and it took all of those years to even crack the top 25. So good will be damned. It means nothing. I'm significantly more concerned about good will in Murfreesboro than on the national stage and that could be shattered in one bad news cycle. And if you don't care how $tansbury is doing it... Really? He's walking right up to the cheatin line and sticking his toe over it.

Crump is officially signed as of this morning.

So now we are up to 7 scholarship players available for next year with possibly 8 if Scurry is able to play immediately. In addition, we have the Arkansas and EKU transfer that must sit out a year. So we have 10 scholarships accounted for if Sims is now on scholarship. That leaves 3 more available scholarships.

Currently on roster

James Hawthorne 6'7" F SR
Karl Gamble 6'8" F SR
Antonio Green 6'2" G R-JR
Donovan Sims 6'0" G SO
Therren Shelton-Szmidt 6'5" G SO
TJ Massenburg 6'8" F R-FR

Incoming Players

Anthony Crump 6'7" G FR
Reggie Scurry 6'5" F SR
(I assume he will be immediately eligible???)

Transfers that must sit out:

DeAndre Dishman 6'6" F R-SO
CJ Jones 6'5" G R-SO

I suspect Scurry will be available and may get even more than 1 year given back to him. We'll see.

Transfers that can play right away and compete with the top teams in this conference are what we need to sign. Doubt there's many, if any, out there that would seriously consider coming here.

At this point we might not have a choice but to sacrifice the upcoming season (and probably the 19-20 season as well) and turn our attention to the distant future.

I suspect the players we need are just not available right now, and signing a player just to sign them is never a good idea.

Do we have a shot at Djery Baptiste from Vanderbilt? I don't think he has signed anywhere yet. He will be a grad transfer and at 6'-10" he would shore up the post position for next season.

Djery Baptiste plans to graduate in December and then transfer from what one of the stories said. He would have two years of eligibility left, so get him for conference play next year and a full year after that.

I looked at Verbal Commits D1 transfer list and I found these names. The cupboard is definitely not full of available post players that I think would be contribute. These players would be eligible to play next season.

The numbers are points, rebounds, assists.
Adonis De La Rosa, Kent State 7'0" 261 11.8, 7.6, 1.0

The problem with Adonis is that he is recovering from ACL surgery and best case scenario he begins practice in November and starts playing Jan. 1.

Casey Schlatter, Drake 6'10" 220 4.1, 3.3, 1.1

Schlatter's numbers do not reach out and grab you, but in all honesty they are as good or better than who we have coming back. He also provides size we do not have.

Josh Martin, Cal-Poly 6'8" 212 7.4 , 5.0, 1.3

Transferred to Cal-Poly from Minnesota his Freshman year. Played all three season at Cal-Poly. Said to be very athletic, but does not provide a ton of size.

Marcel Pettway, Bryant 6'5" 250 10.3, 6.5, 1.5

Pettway is an interesting case. He is obviously short for a PF, but he does weigh 250 lbs. He originally transferred to Nevada after his Soph year, but never qualified academically. Therefore he is immediately eligible with two years remaining. His size is not ideal, but his numbers are good.

I did not mention Baptiste from Vandy because he was already addressed. His numbers are comparable to Schlatter.

Last edited:
Murfreesboro Post:

MT Hoops moving on

excerpt:

...McDevitt said he and his staff are exploring several options as far as filling out next season's rosters.

"We have multiple to fill and a variety of needs," he said. "We're looking at multiple positions and we're looking at graduate transfers, junior college transfers and four-year players." ....

McDevitt is doing a good job pursuing the big recruiting prizes. Hope his success continues, both with transfers and four-year players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT