ADVERTISEMENT

Another Place .500 Isn’t Good Enough -Littrell Fired at UNT

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
So, in spite of finishing second in C-USA, making the title game this year, and going to a bowl in six out of his seven years, North Texas has fired Seth Littrell. He was 44-44.

Meanwhile at MT.

whistle-homer.gif

Must be nice to be associated with a school that wants to win and making bowl games isn’t viewed as the pinnacle of success.

Last edited:
The AAC shift has caused 4 of the departing teams to change coaches. Someone is serious about their programs. DANG.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez
A writer on Twitter stated there wasn't loyalty anymore by stating good Littrell had done. Improved the program, conf champ game this year, etc. But I pointed out this.

He's. 500, heading in to last year of his contract, 0-2 in champ games, 0-5 in bowls. Heading to AAC which to me without a doubt is the best place to be in to grab the 6th spot in the new playoffs. That history won't move you forward in a playoff format. So they made the change.

I really think our admin sees no path to the playoffs. Or it is too hard so let's stay where we are comfortable. You can't do that in college athletics. With the new playoff random bowls will mean less. There is gonna be most likely two bowls that we really can shoot for that will matter, other than a playoff spot, between conf champs that didn't make playoffs. Move your a$$ to be the best. Period.

So, in spite of finishing second in C-USA, making the title game this year, and going to a bowl in six out of his seven years, North Texas has fired Seth Littrell. He was 44-44.

Meanwhile at MT.

whistle-homer.gif

Must be nice to be associated with a school that wants to win and making bowl games isn’t viewed as the pinnacle of success.
I think it would do wonders if Chris Massaro would genuinely study (or contact for advice?) Deion Sanders and what he was able to do for JSU and now Colorado and replicate it into the culture at MT. It’s on YouTube for anyone to plainly see! What I see demonstrated in his videos are:

1. Communication and Motivation.
2. Expectations.
3. Accountability
4. Culture
5. Opportunity
6. Work
7. Conference Championship (this weekend, finished 12-0). 27-5 overall in three seasons.

What’s missing from our football program is outright excellence. Contrasted, the current Colorado players are about to find out whether they want better or they will be quickly saying goodbyes and headed out to the hinterlands transfer portal wherever they can land (being on a 1-11 record team isn’t a good calling card). Even North Texas recognizes that 44-44 in Mr Luttrell isn’t good enough in their new conference, but MT hasn’t—we still celebrate bowl eligibility in our soon to be 25 years of FBS. Many are too happy collecting their paychecks and getting another year for basically a .500 year in conference and a 7-5 record bolstered by an FCS win. Much of the fan base sees lethargy in our football program and Deion makes excellence clearly understandable. We need a coach like a Deion with similar values or pedigree.

Reactions: dukewayne
I think it would do wonders if Chris Massaro would genuinely study (or contact for advice?) Deion Sanders and what he was able to do for JSU and now Colorado and replicate it into the culture at MT. It’s on YouTube for anyone to plainly see! What I see demonstrated in his videos are:

2. Expectations.
3. Accountability
4. Culture
5. Opportunity
6. Work
7. Conference Championship (this weekend, finished 12-0). 27-5 overall in three seasons.

What’s missing from our football program is outright excellence. Contrasted, the current Colorado players are about to find out whether they want better or they will be quickly saying goodbyes and headed out to the hinterlands transfer portal wherever they can land (being on a 1-11 record team isn’t a good calling card). Even North Texas recognizes that 44-44 in Mr Luttrell isn’t good enough in their new conference, but MT hasn’t—we still celebrate bowl eligibility in our soon to be 25 years of FBS. Many are too happy collecting their paychecks and getting another year for basically a .500 year in conference and a 7-5 record bolstered by an FCS win. Much of the fan base sees lethargy in our football program and Deion makes excellence clearly understandable. We need a coach like a Deion with similar values or pedigree.
I agree. UAB went after Dilfer. Yes he did well at Lipscomb wasn't it... but not many D1 colleges go after high school coaches for the head position. I feel UAB wouldn't have been so willing if not for Deion.

Staying the course just to maintain is ludicrous. If you aren't going to explore and try than just get off the road. I truly dread what will happen in a few years when all "the resources he needs" are there and we still are winning 7 games. All while LU (or even SHSU) get ranked, win a Champ, and have a shot at a playoff spot. They think no one supports now.....

2. Expectations.
3. Accountability
4. Culture
5. Opportunity
6. Work

You beat me to the punch. I, too, had been watching some of the Coach Prime videos. It made me sick. Sick and mad at realizing he was also describing MTSU when he was describing the sorry state of a culture that finds it acceptable to NOT pursue excellence.

Ironically, Coach Prime, aka Deion Sanders, played football for Florida State. Coach500 should be ashamed, and he should resign immediately. The whole lot of them should resign immediately.

The only thing that could make any of this better is if some Colorado players show up on the MT roster this summer via the transfer portal.

You know, I had been doing pretty good about putting out of mind the dumpster fire that is MTSU leadership especially as exemplified by the football program.

Then I had to watch the Coach Prime videos this weekend. It set me off all over again with the stark reminder of just how bad the leadership is at MTSU. So mad I could chew nails. Then to top it off more reminders of seeing our peers moving on up while also replacing mediocre 500 coaches. Exactly why they are moving up while MTSU is being left behind.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Coach500 should be ashamed, and he should resign immediately. The whole lot of them should resign immediately
That would require integrity… With this bunch, I'm wondering how frequently games are manipulated… how involved is Vegas?

We all saw how well Insell worked out coming from Shelbyville.

Would y'all be ok with the guy from Oakland? Honestly, he probably see's the same crap show we all do...
Kevin Creasy has won six state titles between Trousdale County and Oakland (a record of 187-19 over 15 years). Since taking over at Oakland in 2015, Creasy is 108-7 with three state championships. I'd love to have him instead of coach .500

We all saw how well Insell worked out coming from Shelbyville.

Would y'all be ok with the guy from Oakland? Honestly, he probably see's the same crap show we all do...

Why not? We have guaranteed failure on the sidelines now.

Literally anyone else at least represents a chance, no matter how small, at something bigger.

ADVERTISEMENT