ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Another Milestone

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Wow, Kermit deserves so much credit in addition to anything and everything the university can do to reward Kermit for such amazing success at MT.

For many longtime fans (a few on here a lot longer than that) the preceding couple of decades, the current level of success for MT basketball is only something that could be dreamed. Myself, I arrived at and became a fan of MT just a few years after big success then scandal and sanctions in the late 80s. Even though I became a huge MT bball fan, I had never witnessed the success that others had that had been around far longer than I. There were plenty of seasons where .500 was barely achievable even with 2 or 3 non DI opponents to start ooc play.

Crowds were really abysmal for home games. For seasons, it seemed like the norm for there to be 1,500 in attendance for non-rivalry home games. A couple of big home games that come to mind that were the exception in that era were the Vandy home game when MT won in OT. That game had a huge Murphy Center crowd. The other game was a TSU home game when MT won another OT game. If I recall correctly, such a TSU game could draw over 8000 with about half from TSU.

I also recall listed exhibition games that would barely draw more than 50. I also remember plenty of early ooc games vs DI teams that didn't even draw a 1,000. At least early in the Wiel years, Saturday home games in conference were starting to push 4,000. Sadly these crowds saw too many losses to teams such as Murray St and SEMO and resultant drops in attendance.

A lot of years went by with MT not being able to advance out of the first round of the ovc tournament. It was all pretty frustrating as a fan and student as one could obviously see the growth and potential of the university. Seasons of success, championships, or any new banners were relegated to dreams.

Most on here are plenty familiar with Kermit's tenure. These last 6+ years have been downright special for long suffering MT bball fans who witnessed two decades worth of seasons without any new banners going up in The Murphy Center. While nothing would please me more than sellouts for the remaining three home games, even 9,000 or 10,000 would be viewed as pretty darn good crowds considering many past seasons. Again, sellouts are preferred and achievable.

Now MT has achieved a national Top 25 ranking. Another huge milestone. Another level of tremendous success by the team and Kermit. Again, this is tremendously impressive stuff that Kermit has been leading. Myself, this has been one heck of an enjoyable ride. I say thank you to Kermit, the asst coaches, and all the players for the fun enjoyable seasons you all work hard to bring to us MT fans and alums. For so many games these recent years, I just sit and watch Blue Raider games with a huge smile on my face.

Hear, hear. We as Blue Raider fans need to soak it in, and appreciate what we have going right now. For Kermit and his players to perform at such a high level, night-in and night-out, year-in and year-out, is something that fans of schools like ours can only dream of. We have truly arrived in the landscape of CBB, and have a program to be proud of on and off of the court.

It goes without saying that this program deserves a full gym, or close to it, every game.

How easy it is to get greedy after having some success. It seems like it was just yesterday when we languished mid-pack of the 12 in-state D-1 basketball schools for decades and I was expressing my desire on message boards for the Blue Raiders to become relevant.

My fondest wish was for MT to become one of the "Big 4" in-state schools and now; for the last few years we have been arguably been the best program in Tennessee and this year are, if ranking mean anything, one of the top 2. With due respect to Belmont, ETSU, and the other $#&-majors in the state MT is now one of the best programs in the state and nation. How sweet it is.

Thanks to Davis, his staff, and the players for bringing such excitement and pride to Blue Raider BkB fans. Of course, we want more once we have experienced such success. A sweet 16 this year would be nice.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT