ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL An early look at how Conference USA basketball shapes up for next season

There is no way a squad with a front court of Lee and Cokley should haven't contended for the league title this year. Program is in a real turmoil at UAB and with the women's coaches' son, Norton, transferring one has to think next year will be the last for the Ehsan regime.

Marshall returns every key contributor from its first NCAA tournament squad in 31 years. Though guards Jon Elmore and C.J. Burks and forward Adjin Peneva have declared for the NBA draft, they also have not signed with agents. They’re likely to return. Elmore went through the evaluation process last season.
The Herd also returns guards Rondale Watson and Jarrod West and forward Jannson Williams. Iran Bennett, a 6-10, 320-pound four-star recruit who sat out last season, also becomes eligible, as does 6-10 DePaul transfer Levi Cook.

Yikes...they will be able to dominate inside. Marshall should be very good next year.

Yea. Losing those 3 recruits pretty much sealed our fate for next season, and likely the season after that as well. I don't foresee good times ahead.

Yea. Losing those 3 recruits pretty much sealed our fate for next season, and likely the season after that as well. I don't foresee good times ahead.

Unless you are a top tier program coaching changes always lead to a year or two of pain. I think our new coach has the chops to get us back up to NCAA tourney status in a couple of years. However, because I think he is going to be a star I don't expect him to stick around like Kermit did. If Massario is smart he would start watching for other up and comers soon. Sadly our program will always be a spring board to the next best thing while the Cartel is running the show. I think we got lucky that CKD sucked for so long it took several years of success before he got his shot at his golden parachute

As has been much mentioned, it likely would have been a rebuilding season even if Kermit had stayed. I'm not exactly expecting MT to be winning the regular season championship as in the last two years. I'd consider it pretty good if CNM can keep MT competitive in conference next year. Competitive defined as competing for the top of the conference and finishing in the top four. As this most recent season demonstrated, there were some pretty outstanding teams that finished in the top four of C-USA. In a world where the NCAA weren't so corrupt, C-USA should have had at least two teams in the NCAA and at least two in the NIT. Most of the C-USA teams in postseason play made a good showing for themselves and C-USA.

Ouch. That is a tough loss for UNT. An outstanding freshman performer, up and gone. Kind of hate seeing that sort of thing for our conference. Then again, it's becoming pretty commonplace across the board.

As the last couple of years demonstrated, the conference appeared to make some headway overall. Especially the top half of the conference. I won't rehash the bottom third. Historically it was unusual for MT to be in the frontrunner seat, but a handful of other conference teams usually rise to chase and compete with a frontrunner having big success. That seems to go for other sports as well. It seems that dynamic really started to show itself this past season. In the case of WKU, it seemed to happen with much imitation on behalf of Stansbury. Regardless, it was good to see the top of the conference really make make some big strides forward. Regarding the bottom of the standings, a couple of these teams replaced their coaches early as they did not tolerate losing. Those programs with new coaches will in all likelihood be highly competitive teams in conference within the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT