ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Alcohol, again…

Man if this fully goes through I hope the admin is smart enough to use their brew students and partnerships and leverage the heck out of them. Great opportunity for not only income but great advertising for the school.

I know for a fact they will the Fermentation Science program and the partnerships. They have already had Steel Barrel Brewery (where the labs for the fermentation science program will be) at the pre-game events put on for BRAA and season ticket holders.

Reactions: Garrett1865
I really like the Steel Barrel brews. Had the brown ale at Jack Brown's one night and it is every bit as good as Blackstone's. Haven't seen it in stores yet, but hope to soon. Their light beer is good too.

Well- I may have gotten out ahead of my skis with some premature info. The bill passed the Senate yesterday, but the corresponding bill that passed the House yesterday didn't include MTSU. From what I understand now, the bill that would need to pass the House is being taken up today. So it looks like we need to pump the brakes for the moment. My apologies- my source had it confused.

Well- I may have gotten out ahead of my skis with some premature info. The bill passed the Senate yesterday, but the corresponding bill that passed the House yesterday didn't include MTSU. From what I understand now, the bill that would need to pass the House is being taken up today. So it looks like we need to pump the brakes for the moment. My apologies- my source had it confused.
To the pit of misery!

source.gif

$EC has a rule against selling alcohol at on-campus venues. A move is afoot to change the rule. You can be sure MT won't have alcohol in Floyd until it flows in Knoxville.

I think those days are gone at least I hope they are.

$EC has a rule against selling alcohol at on-campus venues. A move is afoot to change the rule. You can be sure MT won't have alcohol in Floyd until it flows in Knoxville.

On the contrary- I think that the UTK contingent is pretty supportive of our initiative. The more institutions that do it, the more compelling the argument is for them and other SEC schools.

And yes, I shall humbly accept my fate in the pit.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/legislation/article/21002130/booze-coming-to-mtsu-tsu-games

excerpt:

...Legislation designed to allow MTSU alcohol sales at football, basketball, baseball and softball games died in the House earlier this year, but it came back in the form of an amendment to a caption bill, which passed the Senate last week, along with an additional amendment to allow sales at TSU. (An amendment for TSU sales was tacked on to the MTSU bill but failed.)

The newly-worded amendment would allow beer, wine and liquor sales to patrons 21 and over at "any facility that is designed and used for school-sanctioned public sporting events" at MTSU and TSU, meaning alcohol sales do not necessarily have to be limited to certain sports. Proponents of the legislation have said it would cut down on binge drinking at pre-game tailgates and would also bring in additional revenue for the schools. Opponents worry it would make it even easier for underage students to get drunk at games, even though sneaking in flasks is a common tactic for students.

Debate was slightly heated in the House, as Rep. Matthew Hill (R-Jonesborough) complained about the run-around and said that the amendments should have gone through the committee system. (Hill, notably, skipped the committee system last week to get a budget amendment through that stripped $250,000 that had been earmarked for Memphis.) And Rep. Jason Zachary (R-Knoxville) said alcohol sales at football games weren't needed because the University of Tennessee at Knoxville has "a great sporting atmosphere" without booze at games, apparently forgetting the masses of fans who illegally drink on campus each Saturday prior to games.

However, the legislation squeaked by on the narrowest of margins, with 51 ayes. Rep. Charles Sargent (R-Franklin) then changed his vote to a nay, making the final vote 50 to 38.....

Sale of beer and wine at MT sporting events passes legislature

MTSU took a step toward tapping kegs for campus sporting events as the state legislature passed legislation enabling the university to sell alcoholic beverages during ball games.

The House voted 50-38 Monday, April 23 in favor of legislation giving MTSU and Tennessee State University the option to offer wine and beer during football, baseball, basketball and soccer games at facilities on campus. The Senate approved the measure last week 25-4, but had to return for another vote because it contains an amendment, unrelated to MTSU, prohibiting statewide liquor stores from opening and grocery stores from selling wine on Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. The Senate later passed the revised bill. Governor Haslam is expected to sign it.

The measure reverses a previous House 45-35 vote to kill legislation by state Rep. Pat Marsh allowing MTSU to set up a mechanism for beer and wine sales at sporting events. The new bill is sponsored by Republican Sen. Frank Nicely in the Senate, where it was amended by Murfreesboro Sen. Bill Ketron, and carried by Democratic Rep. Rick Staples of Knoxville in the House.....

another excerpt:

...Beer and wine sales at MTSU events are estimated to bring in $25,600 annually to the state’s general fund and $20,900 each year to local coffers, according to a fiscal review.

Marsh, who previously represented a portion of Rutherford County, was the only House member other than Staples who spoke in favor of the legislation.

“I agree with Rep. Staples, this is a great bill,” Marsh said, noting he believes TSU and MTSU should have the right to sell alcohol on campus and control consumption. The universities could end the practice if it doesn’t work out, he said.

State permits and licenses will be required for the alcohol sales, and MTSU and TSU will have to manage the situation, Marsh added. TSU would limit customers 21 and older to two drinks, according to Staples.

Reps. Bryan Terry and Dawn White, both Murfreesboro Republicans, voted for the bill, while Rep. Mike Sparks, a Smyrna Republican, voted against it. Rep. Tim Rudd, a Murfreesboro Republican, was present but did not vote.....

Going to be the worst decision ever. Drunks in the stands everywhere, screaming to fire stock, calling out the student athletes for poor plays, making fun of old blue hairs....

Oh ya but now I’ll end up buying 9 dollar beers instead of sneaking in a pint of vodka. Stay more sober and respectful of others.

Talk about killing my favorite part of the MT game day experience. Getting wasted and being an ass. Going to be tough but if I really put my mind to it I will get hammered on beer and make gamedays great again!

Is this finalized as in we will be selling alcohol at football games this year? I don't feel like I've seen anything official from the university about it.

ADVERTISEMENT