ADVERTISEMENT

Alasia in transfer portal

She should have backed out when Muffet announced her retirement.

I don’t follow the women’s team closely, but I know we signed the 3 girls in early signing and we are only due to lose Cage as a graduating senior.

And btw, can someone that follows women closely explain the roster turnover we have and only having 11 players? I thought the men’s roster had issues, I guess I just never noticed the 7+ women transfer if our in the past 2 years.

Rellah Booth is only a junior but she will not be returning. Also, I've heard to not be surprised if Anastasia declares for the WNBA draft.

She should have backed out when Muffet announced her retirement.

I don’t follow the women’s team closely, but I know we signed the 3 girls in early signing and we are only due to lose Cage as a graduating senior.

And btw, can someone that follows women closely explain the roster turnover we have and only having 11 players? I thought the men’s roster had issues, I guess I just never noticed the 7+ women transfer if our in the past 2 years.
As mentioned, Boothe has chosen to move on as she is set to graduate. We also never saw Rashika White who was supposed to be our inside presence and all conference type player who never hit the floor and either left by choice or by force (depending on the story you hear) before the season ever started.

So by my math, that leaves us with 8 + 3 signees + a potential sister transfer. Any chance we off fill the full 15 scholarships?

So by my math, that leaves us with 8 + 3 signees + a potential sister transfer. Any chance we off fill the full 15 scholarships?
Honestly, I have no idea but I seriously doubt it. While nothing has been announced, it wouldn't surprise me if some of our players don't transfer. With Insell refusing to play his bench, even in blowout games, I would think some of them would look for PT elsewhere. It is quite frustrating to see our starters log 35- 40 minutes each game while others rarely sniff the court.

The transfer portal will kill college Sports. Coaches will only excel if they can do a 1 and done with players. It’s super hard when you never see a 4 year player. This transfer portal is awful!

What does this mean? Why are they leaving?
Again I have no idea. And maybe some news will leak out about the real reason, but it will be interesting to see if all three sisters land at the same spot or head their separate ways. Two of them are point guards and one was rumored to be heading to the WNBA. But.......

My fear is that they land at Belmont. They have passed us, have good coaching and have shown they know what it takes to win on the big stage. That would be close to home for their family and boost an already rising program. Now I have no info to indicate that this is even possible but I just don't see them going back to a Power 5 program (which two of them already left). With Insell set in his ways, perhaps they saw that this was as far as the train would go but down the road they might be able to all step in and play while helping a solid program continue to rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
Again I have no idea. And maybe some news will leak out about the real reason, but it will be interesting to see if all three sisters land at the same spot or head their separate ways. Two of them are point guards and one was rumored to be heading to the WNBA. But.......

My fear is that they land at Belmont. They have passed us, have good coaching and have shown they know what it takes to win on the big stage. That would be close to home for their family and boost an already rising program. Now I have no info to indicate that this is even possible but I just don't see them going back to a Power 5 program (which two of them already left). With Insell set in his ways, perhaps they saw that this was as far as the train would go but down the road they might be able to all step in and play while helping a solid program continue to rise.
That all makes sense. Sadly I think Rick has reached his limit here. He’s a good coach but the “old dog, new tricks” issue has become so much more apparent recently.

Welp....just same ole issue's. The players have passed his style by and he is too stubborn to change. Losing the nations #2 scorer and your starting PG..wow!!!!!!!!!!

And former MT players saying she should’ve gone somewhere else on Twitter?

BTW, Monte Hale said on his radio show this afternoon that CRI would on on Wednesday, but warned that the coach never discusses players that are not on his team, so don't expect any kind of comments on what's going on with the Hayes sisters...

BTW, Monte Hale said on his radio show this afternoon that CRI would on on Wednesday, but warned that the coach never discusses players that are not on his team, so don't expect any kind of comments on what's going on with the Hayes sisters...
Always a good sign.

About the time the Hayes girls were becoming prominent on the high school BkB scene I somewhere got the impression that the Hayes' father was the "LaVar Ball of Riverdale High". This gave me pause once we had not one but two of the girls at MT.

Is the father overly involved in the girls careers and is this possibly a reason for the extensive transfers?

As an aside: Insell is so set in his ways and hard-headed it is not a surprise he would have a run in with controlling parents.

About the time the Hayes girls were becoming prominent on the high school BkB scene I somewhere got the impression that the Hayes' father was the "LaVar Ball of Riverdale High". This gave me pause once we had not one but two of the girls at MT.

Is the father overly involved in the girls careers and is this possibly a reason for the extensive transfers?

As an aside: Insell is so set in his ways and hard-headed it is not a surprise he would have a run in with controlling parents.
In 5 years of Jr. High / HS and 4 years of college, my Dad attended one practice (only because he was in Memphis on business.)
***Parents should be parents and let their kids’ coaches do the coaching. Belmont won’t put up with any meddling either.

In 5 years of Jr. High / HS and 4 years of college, my Dad attended one practice (only because he was in Memphis on business.)
***Parents should be parents and let their kids’ coaches do the coaching. Belmont won’t put up with any meddling either.

Why would they let the parents in? I thought they were in bubble? This has more to do with coaching style and Rick being Rick and now you're about to lose the #2 scorer in the country and the 3rd scorer on the team, because you can't relate.......smh

Why would they let the parents in? I thought they were in bubble? This has more to do with coaching style and Rick being Rick and now you're about to lose the #2 scorer in the country and the 3rd scorer on the team, because you can't relate.......smh
I think most in here understood that I was just making a point about helicopter parents, not about them wanting to actually attend practice during a Covid bubble. That said, I’ve been told that unhappy vocal parents could be heard during games because of an empty Murphy Center which is just as bad as them being in a practice.

I think most in here understood that I was just making a point about helicopter parents, not about them wanting to actually attend practice during a Covid bubble. That said, I’ve been told that unhappy vocal parents could be heard during games because of an empty Murphy Center which is just as bad as them being in a practice.

True.... yeah I have been to no practices since I stopped coaching my son. He see's me on gameday and spring game.

I have a close friend who is a big Riverdale booster and when we landed the Hayes sister's he warned me that we had to watch out for the dad. That he was very controlling. But in the girls time here I have not personally heard or seen anything that would indicate he was a problem.

That said, someone mentioned the parent comments being overheard at the Murph. I have seen comments on social media too. One parent made note of what we see in that the bench gets little to no playing time (game experience) even during blowouts.

We may never know the real reason they left, but it is a concern. Lewis does not surprise me because she was one of the role players that got little PT. When she did play I thought she showed she was capable at least, yet she continued to sit the bench like the others for 40 minutes virtually every game. But when the players that get the ball, get the PT and basically are 75% of the offense leave, something big is going on.

Whoever is at fault, the program is getting stagnant. They are good, but the days of great are gone. People used to be afraid to play us. But these days the elite just look at us like practice (because we don't pose a challenge) and we rarely blow any conference foes out, consistently losing several conference games a year these days.

Insell will have more championship seasons if he chooses to continue. But unless he adjust his game, the pipe dreams of Sweet 16 and beyond remain just that. At this point, he will be lucky to get another NCAA win.

Last edited:
It doesn't surprise me that we have so many transfers when players are on the bench constantly even when they can play. It's really poor coaching - evidenced by games in which we did a lot better with a tall post in the game (Kozlova, for instance) versus when Rick would refuse to substitute anyone. I get that he has a system and he's had success in the past, but do you think Geno Aureimma never adapts? Dawn Staley? Any other "HOF" coach?

To be fair to Rick and the staff, the most impactful transfers this year are two starters. I’m being overly critical, I know, of the bench play issue. Matt seems to be optimistic on Twitter that we will be getting some immediate impact players for next year to replace who we are losing. I guess we will see.

To be fair to Rick and the staff, the most impactful transfers this year are two starters. I’m being overly critical, I know, of the bench play issue. Matt seems to be optimistic on Twitter that we will be getting some immediate impact players for next year to replace who we are losing. I guess we will see.

We get them, and then boom they are gone before the season

I’ll be frank. Rick Insell is our only HC with a 73% winning pct. in a revenue sport.

I’m a heckuva lot more disappointed with a Men’s BB Coach who had three straight losing seasons right outta the gate and a 15-year, barely .500 Football Coach who has yet to win an outright Conf. title, both being paid nearly a combined $2MM a year.
Women’s Basketball is the least of our problems.

Last edited:
We get them, and then boom they are gone before the season
Injuries aside - honestly, from who is saying what on Twitter, it's pretty obvious to me now that the ones who leave/complain about the program are the ones who either aren't very good or have major attitude problems. I'm glad that our coaches don't tolerate that, forgive my French, BS... there is a lot of entitlement among certain student athletes today.

Reactions: coachchia
For instance:

Pretty sure the program didn't cause her to travel almost every time she came into the game... It's really sad to see players trash talk the Lady Raiders program when we see numerous players who are dedicated to the game and working hard succeed on and off the court. Not to say that both players' experiences aren't valid, but... it's not hard to see similarities ...

do you think it's just the black players? that have th

do you think it's just the black players? that have th
No, I don't think so. I think the similarities are that, in a lot of cases, the players who leave are those who don't really seem ready for CUSA-level competition or don't really fit into the program that well. Anna Jones is another one who comes to mind. She was pretty good but there was a disconnect somewhere. Obviously the Hayes sisters are a special case given the family and how they operate (which is their right - I'm excited to see where they end up and cheer them on).

One thing is for certain, Rick hasn't had the same level of success with his own recruits as he did with Stephany Smith's players.

One thing is for certain, Rick hasn't had the same level of success with his own recruits as he did with Stephany Smith's players.
Recruiting has been hit or miss under Rick, that's for sure. Though I think skill-wise, we are getting more of the "major"-type players since Matt joined and helped recruit. We had some teams that were not all that fast or agile not many years ago; that's a bit better now.

ADVERTISEMENT