ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Sophomore QB Bryce Young already a millionaire...

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012

According to reports, Saban told the Texas High School Coaches Association's convention on Tuesday that Young, a sophomore, is due to make "ungodly numbers."

While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."

Most folks like me are just gonna sit back and watch the have nots with nothing to lose blow up some of these big money guys. This won’t be like the NFL where everyone is making money and there is a code of professional courtesy. It will not end well.

This is going to further separate the haves from the have nots, even within the P5 schools. The top players at Bama and Ohio St are going to get paid, while the transfer portal will turn into pure free agency for P5 players not making money.

This is what professional sports will look like if you could only sign players to 1 year contracts.

I want to know how Uncle Sam is going to get their share.
Are the players taxed? School?

I read several articles about this. The IRS is will come for players. Players should get a 1099-misc or W2 (rarely) from the sponsor. I assume some players will end up with massive IRS issues if the universities don’t help them.

Reactions: Blue_H
Think about the flip side - If MT has a player that has a breakout superstar year, it makes sense for him to consider transferring to a bigger program and city to make some money along the way.

Again - just trends more to the haves and have nots. I don't see how any of this will work well. Does anyone think this will be good for college sports? They should have put some more tough rules in place, like at least a cap on the $ amount per player or something. This is ridiculous.

Think about the flip side - If MT has a player that has a breakout superstar year, it makes sense for him to consider transferring to a bigger program and city to make some money along the way.

Again - just trends more to the haves and have nots. I don't see how any of this will work well. Does anyone think this will be good for college sports? They should have put some more tough rules in place, like at least a cap on the $ amount per player or something. This is ridiculous.

I have so many concerns about this I don't even know where to begin. One is what you just mentioned which I brought up a year ago or so. Any time a G5 program gets a superstar, he'll be gone.

But now what about recruiting. Can coaches promise NIL deals? For example, can Saban partner with a local car dealer and promise a 250k NIL deal to a QB who signs with the program? I'm pretty sure this is allowed. And I guarantee it's going to happen.

Also, schools will use current/previous NIL deals to sway a recruits mind. As an example: A QB recruit is considering MT, UAB, and Fresno State. Fresno State's QB signed a 50k/year deal with a local car dealership last year, and UAB's current QB has a 40k/year deal with a local hospital system. MT's current QB has no deal, because our university and athletics get no support from basically anyone or anywhere. Who do you think that kid will sign with? It won't be MT.

There's gonna be FCS schools that can beat us out now because their kids have better deals. This whole change is just awful for MT because we already have some of the worst financials of any D1 (and many FCS programs) in the country. We have little to no donations, and basically zero outside corporate interest. We have a bloated athletic budget thanks to student fee's from our large undergrad population. There's no real donation or corporate $$ involvement with our university, and never will be. Our reputation is sealed in blood: We are a directional, state, suitcase college flush with undergrad degrees and no real professional programs. We have no political clout, and we stay put and stay silent because our administrators know their role. Our fate appears to be signed, sealed, and delivered. Tough to swallow, and the truth does hurt. But I'm tired of trying to pretend or hope for anything more.

Lastly, Athletic Directors and Athletics Departments job just became infinitely more difficult. I suspect the smart departments will start developing programs specifically designed to secure their players these NIL deals (MT sure won't though). The rules for CFB just got completely turned upside down. The smart programs are being proactive and pushing the rules to the limit. Do you think we are doing that? (Rhetorical question)

We picked a bad time to have a narrow-minded, retirement focused AD and do-nothing rubber stamp president.

And these concerns extend well beyond football too. Basketball players will find better NIL deals elsewhere now too. You can forget MT ever returned to national prominence like we had under Kermit. We are so screwed and will be lucky to remain in FBS/Division 1 before all is said and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueSioux and MTTim
I see problems in making 18 year olds millionaires overnight. How many will still be concerned with athletics when they've already made a million before playing a snap and want to party and go blow it all with their friends? I see a lot of recruiting busts on the horizon with this. Maybe the G5 schools can get the busts after they wash out of the P5 schools and have blown all their money and realize they need to actually focus on athletics. Will they have to recruit based off of who they think can handle the money AND play? Before, these kids were working to get the privilege to make serious cash as a professional athlete. Now they don't even have to play a snap at the collegiate level to become a millionaire. The toothpaste is out of the tube now. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
How many will still be concerned with athletics when they've already made a million before playing a snap and want to party and go blow it all with their friends? I see a lot of recruiting busts on the horizon with this.
Yeah, there will always be folks who make poor decisions with money - whether it's a little or a lot.

I don't think this is different than high school kids who are MLB or NBA 1st round picks.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Yup. It's going to happen. The NFL will be thankful because it'll weed out some of the weasels and save them a draft pick.

Yup. It's going to happen. The NFL will be thankful because it'll weed out some of the weasels and save them a draft pick.
I can agree with that, some will do the right thing with the new found wealth

Here's the bigger issue. I'm a struggling OL from the inner city and my QB is a millionaire with endorsement deals. I'm gonna block for him if his head gets big? This will cause so many issues. I'm not saying they shouldn't get it. I'm saying that it's not gonna be fair at all and it will cause rifts on a team.

IF he gets any PT at all. (I.E. Dobson) Moving up is NO guarantee of a payday. Not at all.

skill players are the ones being stuck in the portal the most. The DL and OL are getting picked up if they have anytime on a campus or any film.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
ADVERTISEMENT