ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL 89-83

If you remove 1-AA (FCS) wins from from the schedule, he is below .500. And I am definitely keeping in 1-aa losses ala WKU in their transition year and McNeese State. Rick needs to Roll.

Record without 1-A wins: 82 - 83: 49.7%
2006: 6-6
2007: 5-7
2008: 5-7
2009: 10-3
2010: 6-7
2011: 2-10
2012: 8-4
2013: 7-5
2014: 5-6
2015: 6-6
2016: 7-5
2017: 7-6
2018: 7-6
2019: 1-5

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I was in school from 01-05 might explain why I’m so used to losing and happy with an 7 or 8 win season. Went to almost every home game though and always had a blast!

Be interested to compare that win loss record over vs rest of cusa and see where we land. Assume somewhere in the middle?

Be interested to compare that win loss record over vs rest of cusa and see where we land. Assume somewhere in the middle?

I think such a comparison would be skewed and would have a muted meaning on the state of football at MT. First of all, C-USA doesn’t have Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF, or Houston that had success at a national level to compare in earlier times. C-USA is 25 years old this year and is less prominent now. Last time I looked, our teams this year has just made it to the RV category (La Tech and UAB). Since MT has joined the conference, our teams haven’t reached National level of cachet (except when Cato had a breakout year in 2014 with Marshall). And, an 66-67 OT loss to WKU ruined our conference prospects of being NYD 6 worthy that year—it even dropped Marshall from #19 to unranked. Marshall didn’t regain ranking until the end of Bowl season 13-1 and #23. Whether we are 10-2 or 6-6, outcomes are similar if we don’t earn a conference title. That perception has to change either by us winning more or our conference mates being more successful and raising the bar for success.

What needs to happen is fewer money games so that we don’t have 1-3, 1-4 starts and by the time conference season arrives, we are fresh and ready to make a serious run at a title. By nearly every homecoming, we are nearly out of the running for a championship. If we were 5-2 or 6-1 overall, there would be copious amounts of excitement and enthusiasm in Blue Raider Land in filling our stands. Our script doesn’t change toward that achievement: it’s we compete instead of we play for championships...we are here. As a result, this and many Novembers, our team will be faced clawing to reach bowl eligibility. After 14 years of this formula, one has to seriously ask question “where do we go from here?” And “How can we improve?” It’s not doing so organically and that is a leadership and coaching issue more so than the players on the field.

Last edited:
If the blue haired tight wads would donate more money we would not have to play the body bag games. No fan support so the money has to come from somewhere.

My advice is to to strap in and get used to it cause we have never been very good and the administration has no interest in taking the necessary steps to be good. Game yesterday was close, anytime we don’t get blow out I’m happy.

Yeah...at this point it certainly looks like we are treading water and waiting for a championship to fall in our laps. When are they going to break ground on the 5 phase football improvement program? Did that disappear too? So frustrating.

I just look at it this way. CUSA was supposed to be a move “up” yet we now have a Sunbelt team ranked with only one G5 higher than them.

And it’s not like that couldn’t be us. It could. It’s not about things not going our way. It’s about a total ineptitude across the board.

Move Up my foot.

I don't think Stock likes Asher...blamed him more than once. And while I get he made mistakes, its up to the the coaches to get him ready.

They did all they could to get him ready but when he ignores his reads and doesn't even look at his 1's or 2's who were open, I think the coaches had enough. Y'all talk aout him not being protected but Chase comes in and puts together 2 long drives that gets us points and he looked like he had plenty of time.

I think Chase should be allowed to start vs. FIU.

So after Stock being here ~15 years at MT, Tony Franklin the OC 'Guru' and developer of #1 overall draft pick and L.A. Rams star QB Jared Goff, the best QB we have on our roster is a walk-on?

You can't make this stuff up.

I'm not sure our recruiting of the QB and RB position could be any worse over the last 10 years. Obviously you have Brent Stockstill and Mathers coming home for a year, but both of those are anomalies and the product of non-traditional recruiting means. One being the coaches son and the other just wanting to leave Ole Miss and be close to home and MT happened to be down the road.

What good traditional QB's or RB's has this staff signed in say, the last 10 years?

This administration and program make it impossible to be a fan or have any fan excitement.

If OHara is consistently being inconsistent with his reads and decision making then Chase is probably the best available option. He knows the offense, is a sprout on the Stockstill tree and like Brent, was coached in high school by a fellow Memphis Tiger, Steve Matthews at Knoxville Catholic.
The downside is he’s only 5’11” 187 lbs.

They did all they could to get him ready but when he ignores his reads and doesn't even look at his 1's or 2's who were open, I think the coaches had enough. Y'all talk aout him not being protected but Chase comes in and puts together 2 long drives that gets us points and he looked like he had plenty of time.

I think Chase should be allowed to start vs. FIU.

Chase did throw a really bad interception and threw another ball that should have been intercepted, and that was in less than one qtr of play. Maybe he becomes more efficient with more first team reps?

However, O'hara doesn't have a lot of experience. The only way he's going to get better at going through progressions is live game action. And since this season is a lost cause you might as well go with him for the future, because he is dynamic and can change the game with his feet and throws the ball deep very well. Something we haven't done much of in years past.

But if they go with Chase that's fine too I guess. Doesn't matter what they do at this point as far as 2019 goes. This team isn't going anywhere or doing anything special this year.

I do want to mention one thing though. CRS said we had people open and were just missing them. Apparently Wes was saying people were open as well.

It was hard to tell because the camera was zoomed so far in, but one thing I noticed. Damn near every pass that was thrown there was a DB within arms reach and often the DB was in the receivers back pocket. I kept thinking to myself why can't our DBs do that? Hell, when Fine threw a pass the DB was usually about 7 yards away. Spaceraider could complete those passes.

So, maybe there were a few times when he missed reads, but I don't know that it was persistent. I just know nearly every pass we did throw had to be perfect as our receivers couldn't get any separation (what else is new). I thought he got pulled from the game, because he lost any semblance of accuracy. Either throwing wide or skipping balls in front of receivers, etc. And he also threw up a couple of passes that never should have been thrown he got lucky weren't intercepted.

I do want to mention one thing though. CRS said we had people open and were just missing them. Apparently Wes was saying people were open as well.

It was hard to tell because the camera was zoomed so far in, but one thing I noticed. Damn near every pass that was thrown there was a DB within arms reach and often the DB was in the receivers back pocket. I kept thinking to myself why can't our DBs do that? Hell, when Fine threw a pass the DB was usually about 7 yards away. Spaceraider could complete those passes.

So, maybe there were a few times when he missed reads, but I don't know that it was persistent. I just know nearly every pass we did throw had to be perfect as our receivers couldn't get any separation (what else is new). I thought he got pulled from the game, because he lost any semblance of accuracy. Either throwing wide or skipping balls in front of receivers, etc. And he also threw up a couple of passes that never should have been thrown he got lucky weren't intercepted.

Cunningham did throw a pick but our WR tipped it too. Overall, he led 2 TD drives where Asher did nothing in the 2nd half. Cunningham read the field better and he hit a deep throw that kept us in the game. I saw folks that were open and I saw the slants be completely ignored as well. I think when you are coming up empty and our D is left out there, you have to make a call. I agree with it. If they integrate both in this week's game, I wouldn't mind.

I think there is too much upside not to play O'Hara...I get pulling someone from a game but what do we do for next week?

recruiting is horrible because they recruit lazy and take low hanging fruit.
Not many people are good at finding diamonds in the rough. Obviously Stockstill isn't good at finding undervalued players - just one more reason why he should not have been hired by Massaro.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtfblue
The Georgia recruiting is way off since Bebee left. Now ith Ellis gone, almost non existent as well as Central to South Florida.

Do we not have areas divided up with coaches? I mean have someone that is over Florida and over Kentucky etc.

I think there is too much upside not to play O'Hara...I get pulling someone from a game but what do we do for next week?

Start the guy that can actually hit the broadside of a barn and find receivers. OHara can run. Fine, let him run in a Wildcat mode and let Cunningham be the starter.

Based on what I've seen Asher has been really accruate. Was completing better than 65% of his passes before Saturday and that includes actually throwing the ball down field more than Brent did.

The issue with Asher hasn't been accuracy (except 3rd qtr in Denton) but lack of willingness to stay in the pocket long enough to see routes develop. That's why I say the only way he gets that experience is by playing.

I thought Chase did a nice job coming off the bench and with Asher's reckless abandon running, it's probably good to have a backup that has some real game experience. You can make a case for either one, but long term I believe Asher gives us the better chance. But if we can't run the ball and the line can't give the QB's more than two seconds in the pocket doesn't matter who the QB is.

"Moving forward the rest of this week, Asher will be the quarterback, but I'm not afraid to play Chase if the opportunity presents itself." --CRS

Reactions: MTLynn
Stock is gonna lose again. :-( Asher is talented but he aint the guy. We need a field surveyor and pocket guy. Cunningham is more of that. If he doesn't make his reads I hope Stock pulls him earlier. A lot earlier.

It starts with the OL. We have a very weak line. Only way to give the QB time is to roll him. Until the line is fixed this is what we have.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Tim is the bingo winner. Bottom line. If...

-you have an OL that doesn't pass block very well and
-you have a QB with very little experience and
-said QB is elusive and capable with his legs

then the natural instinct of that QB is going to kick in. He knows he doesn't have a lot of time to just sit back and survey the field as JT suggest. The problem is he - sometimes - might have a little bit more time than his mind is willing to agree with. His instinct says escape as soon as he realizes option 1 and 2 isn't available - and sometimes it's just option one. That will get better with live game experience.

He's proven himself capable. He's just got to work on the mental part of his game and realize he doesn't have to do it all by himself. Get the ball to his guys in space and let them do the damage.

Tim is the bingo winner. Bottom line. If...

-you have an OL that doesn't pass block very well and
-you have a QB with very little experience and
-said QB is elusive and capable with his legs

then the natural instinct of that QB is going to kick in. He knows he doesn't have a lot of time to just sit back and survey the field as JT suggest. The problem is he - sometimes - might have a little bit more time than his mind is willing to agree with. His instinct says escape as soon as he realizes option 1 and 2 isn't available - and sometimes it's just option one. That will get better with live game experience.

He's proven himself capable. He's just got to work on the mental part of his game and realize he doesn't have to do it all by himself. Get the ball to his guys in space and let them do the damage.

Cunningham had time and worked the pocket. How could he do it and Asher couldn't?

Yeah, the QB must be the problem!
Real geniuses in this forum.

Yards don't win games. How many completed drives do we have? Our scoring offense is abysmal. Our redzone offense is terrible. If Asher is getting it done so well, why did Cunningham come in and nearly equal his yardage in less than half his snaps and get us 2 TDs in the most crucial time of the game? Why couldn't Asher hit the broadside of a arn in the 2nd half of this last game and the week before? If Conningham hadn't come in, we would have lost by 2 TDs.

Cunningham had time and worked the pocket. How could he do it and Asher couldn't?

As I watched the game (and haven't gone back and looked at it again...at least yet), but the bottom line is Chase was more on target in the 4th qtr than Asher was in the 3rd qtr. There are few things about the Chase time.

1. I wouldn't say he worked the pocket. He too mainly went with the primary route which wasn't always there. That's why he completed only slightly better than 50% of his passes and threw one INT and should have been picked a second time had the UNT DB not dropped the ball.
2. He too was flushed out of the pocket some. He made a great throw once when flushed out hitting Chislom as the play broke down for a big gain. That was a huge play, but it's not like he was sitting back surveying the field. Let's not make that leap. Neither one of them had that type of time.
3. He benefited from a big play in the run game that set up a TD on the Terrelle West run.

The difference was Chase completed the passes in the 4th qtr that Asher wasn't in the 3rd. And it wasn't just the fact we weren't moving the ball or he was a missing a few here and there. He was missing badly. I thought it was a good call to make the change. When Asher threw a ball into the ground about five yards in front of Lee in the 3rd qtr I felt like something was wrong with him. He was off. Bad off, so when I saw Chase come out I was actually thinking to myself this is CRS trying to win the damn game. I don't know what was wrong with Asher in the 3rd whether he was hurting somewhere or maybe he got his coconut rung and was never the same. But he did not look like the same guy late second qtr into the third qtr. When we went up 13-7 with four min left in the first half, Asher was 10-of-14. He was 6-of-18 the rest of the way until he was pulled, so obviously something with him was off and we needed to make the change. I actually give CRS a lot of credit there for making that call.

As I watched the game (and haven't gone back and looked at it again...at least yet), but the bottom line is Chase was more on target in the 4th qtr than Asher was in the 3rd qtr. There are few things about the Chase time.

1. I wouldn't say he worked the pocket. He too mainly went with the primary route which wasn't always there. That's why he completed only slightly better than 50% of his passes and threw one INT and should have been picked a second time had the UNT DB not dropped the ball.
2. He too was flushed out of the pocket some. He made a great throw once when flushed out hitting Chislom as the play broke down for a big gain. That was a huge play, but it's not like he was sitting back surveying the field. Let's not make that leap. Neither one of them had that type of time.
3. He benefited from a big play in the run game that set up a TD on the Terrelle West run.

The difference was Chase completed the passes in the 4th qtr that Asher wasn't in the 3rd. And it wasn't just the fact we weren't moving the ball or he was a missing a few here and there. He was missing badly. I thought it was a good call to make the change. When Asher threw a ball into the ground about five yards in front of Lee in the 3rd qtr I felt like something was wrong with him. He was off. Bad off, so when I saw Chase come out I was actually thinking to myself this is CRS trying to win the damn game. I don't know what was wrong with Asher in the 3rd whether he was hurting somewhere or maybe he got his coconut rung and was never the same. But he did not look like the same guy late second qtr into the third qtr. When we went up 13-7 with four min left in the first half, Asher was 10-of-14. He was 6-of-18 the rest of the way until he was pulled, so obviously something with him was off and we needed to make the change. I actually give CRS a lot of credit there for making that call.

Good assessment...I think the tape will give the coaches lots of tape to coach up Asher, I hope he responds better this week.

All this is micro-analysis. You can point at this or that as to why we don't win a game here or there.

But that's missing the forest for the trees - this program lacks the will or desire to be great.

As long as we graduate our players, and qualify for a bowl (which is near impossible with 12 games, an easy conference filled with teams that don't have the same resources, and one FCS punching bag a year on the sched), there's no will to be anything more. This isn't a Stock problem, he's merely asymptom of the disease. It's from the top on down.

You can see it in the mediocre recruiting, the "we competed" cliche'd tagline, the "were bowl eligible" yearly proclaimations, etc.

I've said it repeatedly that we as fans cannot demand results, but we can demand effort. I just don't see the effort with this program. And if they don't care, why should I care?

ADVERTISEMENT