ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB #21 Middle Tennessee (18-2, 11-0) @ UTEP (13-6, 6-4), 8PM, Thursday, February 2, 2023

For those interested in the winning streak record. The '06 - '07 Lady Raider team finished the year with a 27 game winning streak. That streak ended with a 2nd round loss to Marist in the NCAA tournament. This year's team is currently at 16 straight wins, & has a long road to meet or extend that record. However if we win out with 9 regular season games remaining along with the CUSA tournament ahead it remains a tough but attainable goal. Good luck ladies, as the saying goes it's a marathon not a sprint.

Big game tonight. Annoyed it's late (9pm for those of us here on the East Coast...) but I'm hoping to catch most of the game!

Big game tonight. Annoyed it's late (9pm for those of us here on the East Coast...) but I'm hoping to catch most of the game!
exact same tip-off as mbb, disappointed when I saw the time. I'll be at Murphy Center watching the men and keeping an eye on the 'score' app or live stats...

UAB ended FAU men's 21 game win streak tonight. UTEP trying to do same to the ladies as they trail 36 - 41 midway through the 3rd. Whitson tried sparking the ladies. Has to have help from her teammates though

A few bad things I'm seeing - Wheeler hasn't scored a single basket, Whitson 0 points this half, Insell watching instead of coaching during the game. Sadly, I think this will be a loss. And a bad one. UTEP is NOT a good team.

Insell has finally decided to call a timeout with 3:30 left in the game down 5 after collapsing all game. Just incredible coaching job - NOT. Jesus

The ENTIRE TIMEOUT both Insells were talking to the referees instead of the team. Are you serious right now? I'll be shocked if we win.

I'm disgusted. Refs called a jump ball when Gregory had the possession BY HERSELF WITH NO UTEP PLAYERS TOUCHING IT. And then they hit a 3 to win. What a present for UTEP and there goes our ranking. Un-f'ing-real

Reactions: tyler90wm
Well that's a disappointing loss. The team fought back hard in the 4th to even give us a shot at the win. FT shooting was really poor (64.3%), if we shoot our average, we may have won that game.

When we lose this is somewhat typical. Win by blowouts, lose in the last seconds. Been riding on borrowed time in my opinion. We're too good offensively to have at least 1 quarter where we score less than 12 points. How many games in a row now have we put up less than 68 points total?
As Gregory put it post game they had a poor mindset. I just don't get it though. Why do you work so hard to get national attention & respect just to throw it away? Anyway the season is not over, just the national respect & top 25 ranking. As mentioned above, disappointing.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
It's really tough to go undefeated through conference play regardless how good a team is or their conference. Especially when you're ranked and everyone is gunning to beat you. Did you see how happy the UTEP coaches and players were?

Sucks to lose, hopefully they take what they're feeling right now and use it as motivation to not experience it again.

I was at the men's game and followed the ladies score. Disappointed but not surprised. We have not looked great in two weeks and that continued tonight. As mentioned above, we have been living on borrowed time and it caught up with us. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I'm not sure what happened tonight other than a loss at the buzzer but could someone clarify the final possession for each team? ESPN game tracker said we missed a shot but got the rebound with four seconds left. Next it said game was tied at the end of regulation and was headed to OT. Then all the sudden it said we lost. We were all wondering what the heck happened?

I thought we were going to OT as well. Anyway congrats to UTEP. Personally don't feel they had the better players, but they fought the entire game & we didn't. Just a poorly executed game by coaches & players alike. So a team loss. Just never thought we would see zero production out of both Wheeler & Blakely.
I agree & hope this to be the wake up call this team needs. As talented as they are, the ladies & staff need to realize to be a NCAA caliber team you have to play 40 minutes not 25-30. If they can't learn that quickly then there's always the chance this year's CUSA tourney could end up the same as last year. And that would be a shame.

ADVERTISEMENT