ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Football schedule change/ and beyond -peay added in 2025

Raiders_55

Blue Raider
Oct 24, 2019
2020 game against Ole Miss postponed until 2024.

I wonder what school MTSU can schedule for next year to replace the game.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
2020 game against Ole Miss postponed until 2024.

I wonder what school MTSU can schedule for next year to replace the game.

have to be a high dollar pay day, since the two P5s we play (Duke and Vatech) are parts of home and home deals where the dollars are a wash. We have a 1aa game, so I'd look for a top ten like opponent who's going pay the highest price possible to fill that last open spot on the schedule.

Just went in to double check the dates before booking our hotel room and saw it had been pushed back till 2024. We went to Oxford 2 years ago when our daughters alma mater, GA Southern, played there. Since it’s a small town, hotel rooms are at a premium. The town is ill equipped for football size crowds. Can’t imagine how bad it is when they play a conference opponent. Looking forward to driving over from ATL for the basketball game in December. Looks like a 2 pm tip-off.

Was trying to type this up earlier this morning but work got in the way. My guess is we play at UConn.

UConn has f'd themselves as far as football schedule goes in 2020 as they try to figure out how to do an independent schedule.

If nothing else CM is opportunistic when it comes to scheduling. So, my thinking here is we get to keep the coin from the Ole Miss guarantee and in turn UConn gets a home game out of the deal. So, basically we get $1.5M to play at UConn.

If it's something else other than this then it was probably screwed up.

Last edited:
Ok, help me out here, not as young as I used to be. Our game at Ole Miss got moved to 2024, in our place next year we were bumped by UConn.
So how can our open date be filled by UConn, when they will be in Oxford the same day?

Ok, help me out here, not as young as I used to be. Our game at Ole Miss got moved to 2024, in our place next year we were bumped by UConn.
So how can our open date be filled by UConn, when they will be in Oxford the same day?

UConn has a lot of open dates - at least five (maybe six) by my count that are technically unscheduled dates. So, it should be pretty easy to work them into our schedule next year given conference schedules/dates aren't set yet.

Just as an FYI, the only P5 team without a full OOC schedule listed for 2020 is Texas Tech. So unless we are going to Lubbock or another P5 school pushes a game to a different year, its going to be another G5 school.

Then again, Massaro might schedule 2 FCS games to help pad Stock’s winning %.

Just as an FYI, the only P5 team without a full OOC schedule listed for 2020 is Texas Tech. So unless we are going to Lubbock or another P5 school pushes a game to a different year, its going to be another G5 school.

Then again, Massaro might schedule 2 FCS games to help pad Stock’s winning %.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he did that and we didn't get "bowl eligible" once the season was done since you can only count one FCS game.

Reactions: Predarat
From a quick look at FBSchedules it looks like Air Force and Army both are in need of games next year.

Was trying to type this up earlier this morning but work got in the way. My guess is we play at UConn.

UConn has f'd themselves as far as football schedule goes in 2020 as they try to figure out how to do an independent schedule.

If nothing else CM is opportunistic when it comes to scheduling. So, my thinking here is we get to keep the coin from the Ole Miss guarantee and in turn UConn gets a home game out of the deal. So, basically we get $1.5M to play at UConn.

If it's something else other than this then it was probably screwed up.

Hartford Courant:

Game contracts reveal details about UConn football scheduling in 2020 and beyond

excerpt:

...Unusual deal with Ole Miss, Middle Tennessee

Because UConn announced its intention to play as an independent barely a year before the 2020 season was set to start, athletic director David Benedict had to get creative about scheduling.

In one case, that meant a three-sided deal with an unusual pay structure.

As outlined in a contract, UConn will replace Middle Tennessee on Mississippi’s 2020 schedule, while committing to host the Blue Raiders at some point (presumably also in 2020). As part of that deal, Mississippi will pay Middle Tennessee $1.5 million, as the schools had originally planned, even though they won’t actually face each other. UConn will neither receive money from Mississippi nor pay anything to Middle Tennessee.

Under different circumstances, UConn would likely receive more than $1 million to travel to Mississippi, then pay a smaller amount to get Middle Tennessee to Rentschler Field. But given the need to build a 2020 schedule on short notice, scoring two games appears to have been worth a less lucrative return.....

Reactions: MT Glenn and MTLynn
Exactly. I never want to play any of them.

While I have the utmost respect for our military and admire the commitment of those who attend our service academies I was dumbfounded at how our team was treated in Fort Worth that day. Their players were warned and warned about continuing after the whistle (I was at field level) and never penalized. It's no wonder our players became frustrated after all the hooray crap during the week praising the other team and then having such conduct on the field. And of course MT (the players, the team, and the school) were to blame for any problems and we lost a few fans that day who just heard about a few players' acts.

Wouldn't mind playing a service academy in a home-and-home but never again at a service-related bowl.

Reactions: MT Glenn
While I have the utmost respect for our military and admire the commitment of those who attend our service academies I was dumbfounded at how our team was treated in Fort Worth that day. Their players were warned and warned about continuing after the whistle (I was at field level) and never penalized. It's no wonder our players became frustrated after all the hooray crap during the week praising the other team and then having such conduct on the field. And of course MT (the players, the team, and the school) were to blame for any problems and we lost a few fans that day who just heard about a few players' acts.

Wouldn't mind playing a service academy in a home-and-home but never again at a service-related bowl.
I agree. The bowl folks were also rude. Pissed me off they kept getting Stocks name wrong. The MT activities were fun but I never want to go back to a bowl game against a service academy.

I agree. The bowl folks were also rude. Pissed me off they kept getting Stocks name wrong. The MT activities were fun but I never want to go back to a bowl game against a service academy.

Especially against one in the Armed Forces bowl. That was a no win. We were automatically the enemy. I talked to several players from that game. Navy's players were pretty dirty. That Rod Blunt incident just didn't happen out of no where. There was a lot of spitting on players in the pile, stepping on hands, viscous cut blocking with added stuff after the whistle. There was a lot of racial slurs and such too from what I was told. It was a bad situation.

Reactions: MTTim and MTOleBlue
Especially against one in the Armed Forces bowl. That was a no win. We were automatically the enemy. I talked to several players from that game. Navy's players were pretty dirty. That Rod Blunt incident just didn't happen out of no where. There was a lot of spitting on players in the pile, stepping on hands, viscous cut blocking with added stuff after the whistle. There was a lot of racial slurs and such too from what I was told. It was a bad situation.

I've heard the exact same thing. Navy was far from innocent.

We should use the leverage to make UConn pay us a million for a home and home in football or make them bundle the deal. Make their men and women’s b-ball teams play us in a home and home for moving our Ole Miss game.

Last edited:
We should use the leverage to make UConn pay us a million for a home and home in football or make them bundle the deal. Make their men and women’s b-ball teams play us in a home and home for moving our Ole Miss game.

Huh?

We're basically getting $1.5M to play a game a UConn and you think we have more leverage to get more out of them? UConn is paying Liberty $250K as part of a home and home. They are paying San Jose St. and Army $200K.

We are getting more than a million more than these other teams playing at UConn (even if the money will actually come from Ole Miss), so I don't really think we have a point of leverage to ask for anything else. In other words, I think we've already leveraged it about to the max that we could.

Huh?

We're basically getting $1.5M to play a game a UConn and you think we have more leverage to get more out of them? UConn is paying Liberty $250K as part of a home and home. They are paying San Jose St. and Army $200K.

We are getting more than a million more than these other teams playing at UConn (even if the money will actually come from Ole Miss), so I don't really think we have a point of leverage to ask for anything else. In other words, I think we've already leveraged it about to the max that we could.

We are getting 1.5 from Ole Miss, not UConn.

UConn has 9 football games now for next year and is desperate enough to make a deal to go to Ole Miss for nothing.

I don’t see any problem with asking for more. I don’t see an issue in asking for a home and home in basketball in addition since we were willing to work with them in football.

We are getting 1.5 from Ole Miss, not UConn.

UConn has 9 football games now for next year and is desperate enough to make a deal to go to Ole Miss for nothing.

I don’t see any problem with asking for more. I don’t see an issue in asking for a home and home in basketball in addition since we were willing to work with them in football.

There is a difference in asking and what you said. UConn isn't paying anywhere near a million for anyone playing at their place. UConn football is G5.

The team that comes out the best in this deal is MT.

We get SEC guarantee dollars for a much more winnable game in what was going to be a road game anyway. Plus, we will still get paid in '24 when we go to Ole Miss. Realistically, there just isn't anything more we were going to be able to get out of this. IMO, it was played brilliantly by CM.

Reactions: MTLynn
There is a difference in asking and what you said. UConn isn't paying anywhere near a million for anyone playing at their place. UConn football is G5.

The team that comes out the best in this deal is MT.

We get SEC guarantee dollars for a much more winnable game in what was going to be a road game anyway. Plus, we will still get paid in '24 when we go to Ole Miss. Realistically, there just isn't anything more we were going to be able to get out of this. IMO, it was played brilliantly by CM.

I guess I don’t count a deal to play at UConn & Ole Miss instead of at Ole Miss & a P5 school to get the same paydays brilliant. Especially if we don’t beat UConn. If UConn ended up in Floyd, that would have been brilliant. This feels more like CM just helping a friend out.

I would have like to see more out of the deal - leverage our willingness to help into a b-ball series as well. We will help you out UConn, but we need to get paid still and schedule a h & h series in basketball for us to do this. That’s what I meant by leverage the deal - UConn was the school with only 8 games scheduled for next year at the time. They seem pretty desperate.

I guess I don’t count a deal to play at UConn & Ole Miss instead of at Ole Miss & a P5 school to get the same paydays brilliant. Especially if we don’t beat UConn. If UConn ended up in Floyd, that would have been brilliant. This feels more like CM just helping a friend out.

I would have like to see more out of the deal - leverage our willingness to help into a b-ball series as well. We will help you out UConn, but we need to get paid still and schedule a h & h series in basketball for us to do this. That’s what I meant by leverage the deal - UConn was the school with only 8 games scheduled for next year at the time. They seem pretty desperate.

I guess some people will never be happy.

We're getting $1.2M more to go to UConn than we would otherwise. If we don't beat UConn that's not Massaro's fault that's Stockstill's, so that's a whole different story. There is no reason not to win that game next year. And we will probably get a home game with UConn out of this as well.

I wonder what the chances are since uconn is not necessarily a lock for the 2020 schedule but maybe later, that Massaro does go ahead and find a p5 for 2020 getting another big check in addition to the ole miss check. I'm thinking that if that doesn't happen that it is going to be a big step down from the revenue the last couple of seasons with the two P5s in 2020 we do play part of home and homes where basically it is a wash and not a big check payday.

I wonder what the chances are since uconn is not necessarily a lock for the 2020 schedule but maybe later, that Massaro does go ahead and find a p5 for 2020 getting another big check in addition to the ole miss check. I'm thinking that if that doesn't happen that it is going to be a big step down from the revenue the last couple of seasons with the two P5s in 2020 we do play part of home and homes where basically it is a wash and not a big check payday.

Possible.

Since Rick doesn't seem to put put much effort into winning out of conference games, I would rather see nothing but money games. I don't think MT beats UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT