ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING 2019 Local star commits

Oakland's Keishawn Davidson commits to MTSU basketball

excerpt:

The 6-foot-2, 160-pound Davidson is ranked No. 6 in the state in the 2019 class by Hoop Seen.

He said the coaching staff was a huge factor in his decision to pick the Blue Raiders.

"The coaches are great," said Davidson, who helped lead Oakland to the Class AAA state basketball tournament as a sophomore. "I have a real good relationship with them. They made me feel like family."

MTSU's recent success under head coach Kermit Davis didn't hurt, either. The Blue Raiders advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament last year after reaching the tourney the previous year.

"That was really big," Davidson said. "Coach Davis is a great coach and an even better person. He pushes his players to be great. That caught my attention.

"I love his fast-paced style. I know I can be a good player in that system."

Davidson averaged 14 points, 4.6 assists, two steals and three rebounds per game while turning the ball over just 1.1 times per game. He was the Player of the Year on the All-Area Boys Basketball Team.

"He's gotten bigger and stronger," said Oakland coach Troy Bond. "Kei brings a lot of talent and high intellect. he likes to be a leader.

"Coach Davis has really recruited Kei hard the last year. We talked about recruiting a little bit, but in the end I told him, 'You have to go where you fit in best.' I just supported him and tried to be as up front as I could be."

Davidson also considered Alabama-Birmingham, Belmont, Lipscomb, Murray State, Morehead State and Austin Peay.

That is some shooting! He makes it look easy. I would also imagine that at that age he likely is still growing. By the time he gets to MT, he may very well have grown a little taller.

Wait a minute, so you are telling me that IF you have success in a sport and strive to be better by scheduling better opponents, knock off some teams you shouldn't you CAN have success in recruitment? Hmmm...if only we could do that in another BIG college sport...

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT