ADVERTISEMENT

2010-2019: Can you name your Top Five moments in MT Athletics?

If we are just doing 2010-2019
1 - MBB vs Mich St
2 - MBB vs Minnesota
3 - MBB vs TN (NIT)
4 - Baseball vs #5 Vanderbilt
5 - Football vs Missouri

Since 2010:

1. MT vs Michigan State - MBB Basketball NCAAs
2. MT vs Georgia Tech - Football
3. MT vs Minnesota - MBB Basketball NCAAs
4. MT vs #5 Vanderbilt - Baseball
5. MT vs Old Dominion (55-53) - C-USA Final in MBB, Birmingham, Alabama.

Two honorable mentions:
1. MT vs Marshall - MBB C-USA Final (83-72) in Birmingham.
2. MT vs UTK - MBB 2012-13 NIT

I would respond with the events which have made me the most emotional (and yes, men do cry or at least shed a tear). I can only think of four and unfortunately two were losses but games at which I was most proud to be a Blue Raider fan.

# 1 on my list is the pride I had hearing "The Tennessee Waltz" after the N. O. Bowl. I rarely stay after games but this time I just had to bask in the glory of the victory. I didn't leave my seat until the last note was played. I just knew the move to D-1 was justified and the sky was the limit. (no comment to down this moment, please)

# 2 would be after the Lady Raider loss at the Sun Belt BkB tournament in Hot Springs the game after the Tina Stewart tragedy. With all the emotion surrounding the game the loss was expected but there's no way I could have foreseen that as the team was leaving the floor the entire crowd would stand and give the team a solemn standing ovation. Not a dry eye in the house.

# 3 is also for a standing ovation after the loss in the third round of the NIT in Murphy Center against Minnesota after wins over Marshall and at UT-K. This unexpected season (we thought we would be good but not this good) was the first of the Davis coached run and put MT on the national map. The standing "O" showed that, to some extent (if not to the early Murphy Ctr. level), the MT BkB fans were back.

# 4 would have to be the NCAA win over UK on West End even if it doesn't fit the time frame identified. I couldn't sleep at all after the game I was so hyped up. The game was "all the talk" as I arrived at work the next morning. This victory proved to the mid-state that yes, not all D-1 BkB in the area is played in the $EC, MT does play D-1 BkB and it proved to me that if MT did something really well athletically we could dominate the mid-state (read that as Nashville) media for a short period of time.

Reactions: MTLynn
1.) Women's bball upset win of LaSalle in 2013
2.) Men's cross country championship in 2012 with a come from behind win
3.) Volleyball beating UAB in 2011
4.) HUGE regular season football win against UAB, 2018. East Division Champs Baby!
5.) Men's tennis, come from behind win against FAU, 2014

Reactions: MTLynn
1. Mich St Win
2. New Orleans Bowl Victory
3. CUSA win v. Marshall and Subsequent Minnesota Win
4. Beating UT in Basketball
5. Rick Stockstill's contract...(Keeps the message board exciting)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT