ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL #20 Retired

Good for Kevin, but what about the guys before him: Don Griffin, Mike Caldwell, Kelly Holcombe, Joe Campbell and Marty Carter?
Were any of those all pro talents? Idk them so it’s a genuine question.

Wow, figured the President of the university would be quite a bit more polished with the public speaking. That sounded awful!

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Don Griffin played 11 years in NFL for some of the best 49ers teams, also for the Browns and Eagles. Caldwell as a LB played 11 years and now a DC in the NFL. Holcomb as a journeyman QB for a dozen or more years in the NFL. Carter played for 11 years in the NFL.

Last edited:
Don Griffin played 11 years in NFL for some of the best 49ers teams, also for the Browns and Eagles. Caldwell as a LB played 11 years and now a DC in the NFL. Holcombe as a journeyman QB for a dozen or more years in the NFL. Carter played for 11 years in the NFL.
But none were top players at their position?

But none were top players at their position?
Griffin was Rookie of the year or something like that his first year, but he got overshadowed by all the talent on that roster. Holcombe got the Browns to the playiffs and set a league record at the time for passing yards againt Pittsburgh, but was always it seems on teams with highly touted QB s(Peyton Manning on the Colts)....

I have mixed emotions about this too. First, let me say I am proud for Kevin. And I do feel he is deserving of this honor. He is a great ambassador for the university. Since going 1-A Kevin is the top athlete we have sent to the NFL and I am proud to see him excell.

Now, for the flip side. From the interviews I heard today, MTSU representatives made a point to say this was based on his MT accolades, and not his pro career. Fair enough. He was a awesome player and again, does great things off the field. But we had some hellacous talent in the Boots era. I would rank Don Griffin and Joe Campbell as equals in the talent department. Heck, the NFL career for Griffin is probably the best ever for a Blue Raider. He was a NFL lock down corner for a SF team loaded with talent. And those who saw Campbell would be hard pressed to name a more electric, entertaining Blue Raider.

Guys like Marty Carter, Kelly Holcomb, Mike Caldwell, Vince Hall, Tony Burse, Steve McAdoo and even a kicker named Kelly Potter all had careers that should be considered worthy of consideration for such an honor.

Aside from Holcomb who has been active in the community and helped with the radio I am not sure what any of those other gentlemen did for MT after leaving. I can honestly say, I have been proud to see the involvement and fan interaction that KB has had.

I know we can't retire them all, but it's been way too long since we retired any. Maybe this is something our new fan committee can run with. Some type of ring of honor? Post their name in the stadium without officially retiring it. That would recognize some of our greats and re-involve them with the program.

Last edited:
Were any of those all pro talents? Idk them so it’s a genuine question.
Don was NFC rookie of the year.... so yes, What you do in the NFL has nothing to do with college. There must be a large donation coming or already pledged. If not why would the president of the university be there for an Athletic event and do all the talking.

I have mixed emotions about this too. First, let me say I am proud for Kevin. And I do feel he is deserving of this honor. He is a great ambassador for the university. Since going 1-A Kevin is the top athlete we have sent to the NFL and I am proud to see him excell.

Now, for the flip side. From the interviews I heard today, MTSU representatives made a point to say this was based on his MT accolades, and not his pro career. Fair enough, he was a awesome player and again, does great things off the field. But we had some hellacous talent in the Boots era. I would rank Don Griffin and Joe Campbell as equals in the talent department. Heck, the NFL career for Griffin is probably the best ever for a Blue Raider. He was a NFL lock down corner for a SF team loaded with talent. And those who saw Campbell would be hard pressed to name a more electric, entertaining Blue Raider.

Guys like Marty Carter, Kelly Holcomb, Mike Caldwell, Vince Hall, Tony Burse, Steve McAdoo and even a kicker named Kelly Potter all had careers that should be considered worthy of consideration for such an honor.

That said, I am not sure what any of those gentlemen did for MT after leaving. I can honestly say, I have been proud to see the involvement and fan interaction that KB has had.

I know we can't retire them all, but it's been way too long since we retired any. Maybe this is something our new fan committee can run with. Some type of ring of honor? Post their name in the stadium without officially retiring it. That would recognize some of our greats and re-involve them with the program.
I agree good for Kevin not hating, maybe there should be a ring of honor in the stadium instead of retiring jerseys.

I questioned the "has nothing to do with what he has done with the Titans" as well. I agree, KB is VERY deserving of this honor, but others should/could have been honored previously as well. KB is currently a top player at his position in the NFL. I figure 7 Wood thought this would bring great exposure from media coverage for MT and himself which is why he did all the talking (reading, poorly) during the press conference.

Now, for the flip side. From the interviews I heard today, MTSU representatives made a point to say this was based on his MT accolades, and not his pro career. Fair enough. He was a awesome player and again, does great things off the field. But we had some hellacous talent in the Boots era. I would rank Don Griffin and Joe Campbell as equals in the talent department. Heck, the NFL career for Griffin is probably the best ever for a Blue Raider. He was a NFL lock down corner for a SF team loaded with talent. And those who saw Campbell would be hard pressed to name a more electric, entertaining Blue Raider.

Aside from Holcomb who has been active in the community and helped with the radio I am not sure what any of those other gentlemen did for MT after leaving. I can honestly say, I have been proud to see the involvement and fan interaction that KB has had.

Congratulations are in order for Mr. Byard and his lifetime contributions as a Blue Raider and Tennessee Titan (to date). Well earned! Will say it’s a bit vague as to understand general criteria used to retire a jersey/number or place a player into HOF at MT. There are a few deserving individuals that could also be considered for jersey retirement. Don Griffin is at the top of the list (in my view) in addition to Kevin Byard—Super Bowl appearances with 49ers body of work superlative alongside all pro NFL honors. Retirement of number is viewed as the “very best of the best” and really should reflect lifetime accomplishments beyond four years or any advanced degrees earned. The university experience prepares one for life and success beyond the court, diamond, track, or field. The HOF could be more focused on university accomplishments as the primary body of work. Having only 6 MT numbers all time in all sports indicates the club should remain exclusive because of the recognition of taking a jersey number out of commission (or special distinction) reflects the highest achievement in competition at the alma mater. My thoughts are purist where no one or someone who is very uniquely gifted in the future could wear that number in the field of play because of the high esteem and excellence that person personified.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT