ADVERTISEMENT

$2 million for a top QB, $1 million for a top tackle/edge rusher

Messed up on so many levels. I have no problem with our QB for example doing a commercial for Murfreesboro Ford. Or our two top WRs posing for stand ups holding a rewards card for the local gas stations. Etc.

But the whole point is it should NOT be used as a recruiting tool. The players are supposed to be signed then get a NIL deal. Not the other way around. That is my issue with it all.

Money has always brought recruits in under the table. Now they just do it out in the open.

No NIL bonus money for just “competing”.
That perk is reserved just for the Head Coach. 😂😂

A player might get a free Hawaii or Bahamas trip.

What worries me is teams will start buying other teams players. I'm sure this is happening and has always happened on a small scale, but now it will become more common AND legal.

ie. Power 5 buying players from G5 programs, like ours. We will never be able to have another superstar player again. Someone like Dwone Hicks, who had a darkhorse heisman shot, will be instantly bought up by Power 5's in the future. Same goes for any basketball player we might ever land/develop that becomes a star in our league. Off he goes to the highest bidder.

Sounds fun, doesn't it?

I'm not too worried about it unless they start increasing the amount of scholarship players you can have. Those top schools were always gonna get the best players. Now they are having boosters pay millions of dollars for the same players they were going to get anyway. I think it's silly to spend money on these college kids just so they will play for your favorite team. I think in a few years all of this will die down and people will see what a waste of money it is and only the few elite players at the very top will get any money.

Reactions: elamlee
I'm not too worried about it unless they start increasing the amount of scholarship players you can have. Those top schools were always gonna get the best players. Now they are having boosters pay millions of dollars for the same players they were going to get anyway. I think it's silly to spend money on these college kids just so they will play for your favorite team. I think in a few years all of this will die down and people will see what a waste of money it is and only the few elite players at the very top will get any money.

I believe you will feel differently when we have our star players in football and basketball poached by the highest bidder in the Power 5. Gonna be even worse than it is now.

I can't believe people are not more upset about all the transfers we had this off season. Our whole OL and half our DB's transferred out, will not sit out a year, and will play immediately at their new schools.

And we will suffer for it. We had to backfill with a bunch of JUCO's that I guarantee won't be as good. Again, I am surprised more are not pissed off about this. It doesn't seem sustainable or fair to me and it will absolutely ensure the gap between G5 and P5 continues to widen.

We lost good players that will not be replaced with equal talent and it's gonna happen every year going forward. This would not have happened before NIL and transfer rule BS. Oh well though right?

Despicable if you ask me. In a way, I hope it ends with the death of college sports. It is well deserved at this point.

they are actually talking about passing a new rule increasing scholarships from 85 to 125. 40 extra players

they are actually talking about passing a new rule increasing scholarships from 85 to 125. 40 extra players
Also, they're already allowed to dress 105 players. Those 20 extra walk-on players are going to be getting NIL money to pay their way, and more. That's pretty much an increase in scholarships.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
We will be left with about 15 teams across the country that will compete and the rest will be feeders for them. A player at MT has one good season and he’s looking to move up and get paid. Cant blame him but this is when my interest gets lost. I like More parity than seeing Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and Oregon ( they will be a top team when Nike starts paying out big $’s for athletes) It will completely destroy college sports.

Put a cap on this or it’s the end.

Reactions: coachchia
I saw a quote the other day from Spurrier. Said he is all for NIL, after a year. Limit kids to one transfer and don't allow them to sign deals until they have completed one year.

Sounds like a simple solution but we all know it isn't. Money would still be under the table or "advances" etc. But at least people are speaking out about it.

Legal ramifications of greed.

No way to put the cork back in after a unanimous SCOTUS ruling.

If the NCAA would have just paid for injuries from the beginning and allowed kids to make a little money off of jersey sales, then this explosion probably does not happen. At least not all at once like the past year.

The circle is complete. Millionaires coaching millionaires on Saturday now just like Sunday.

Yeah the NCAA messed up by not putting rules in place prior to approving it. I was for the NIL if it was within reason but people always find loopholes.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Let’s be honest, there are guys being admitted to college who wouldn’t have qualified during my time and the Boots era. Guys these days have a boatload of “tutors” and academic support. In my day, we had one student-athlete academic advisor who helped with scheduling and his assistant who pulled class cards for us in advance do we didn’t have to stand in lines and got first choice of classes and professors.

Larry Kinnebrew never finished high school, and according to Too Tall Jones, they never went to class; instead, they went to work and then to practice.
Coach Merritt had his own set of admissions requirements. 😂
We wanted Ron Holland badly at Memphis St but couldn’t make it happen.

He will wind up with a multi-million dollar deal when all is said and done. Absolutely nuts.

reading that article makes me sick to my stomach. Many of these college athletes will now make more than some on NFL rosters. Think about that for a moment.

disgusting, and I hope it ruins the game. College sports was one of the few things left that had a little purity to it. Sure, some players used to take money but at least there were consequences, and in many cases severe consequences, when they got caught.

now it’s the Wild West, pay for play, transfer transfer transfer league. How is that interesting to watch/follow????

Reactions: TrueBlue147
I'm conflicted. I am a free market person and seeing people not playing the game make millions made my skin crawl. My first question to myself is, how in the hell did academic sports get here?

I used to listen to hours of sports talk. I don't even flip it to the dial. I used to never miss a game. Now I never make it to a game.

I am starting to realize why. I used to use sports as an escape pod. Now, it is political, sketchy, and super transient. Hard to care like I once did.

reading that article makes me sick to my stomach. Many of these college athletes will now make more than some on NFL rosters. Think about that for a moment.

disgusting, and I hope it ruins the game. College sports was one of the few things left that had a little purity to it. Sure, some players used to take money but at least there were consequences, and in many cases severe consequences, when they got caught.

now it’s the Wild West, pay for play, transfer transfer transfer league. How is that interesting to watch/follow????

I'm conflicted. I am a free market person and seeing people not playing the game make millions made my skin crawl. My first question to myself is, how in the hell did academic sports get here?

I used to listen to hours of sports talk. I don't even flip it to the dial. I used to never miss a game. Now I never make it to a game.

I am starting to realize why. I used to use sports as an escape pod. Now, it is political, sketchy, and super transient. Hard to care like I once did.

I’m right there with you and if you look at attendance numbers over the last several years, a lot of people would share your feelings too.

college sports was a bit of an escape. It was amateurism but still played by highly talented young men representing their universities. For the vast majority playing college sports, it gave them a vehicle to get a high quality education without having to mortgage their future via student loans. This benefitted 99% of college student athletes greatly because only about 1% go on to make a living with professional sports. The dynamic of college sports was very different from pro leagues. Players couldn’t take money and there was no free agency in the off season. They truly were student-athletes.

……Now, the things that made college sports unique and interesting to so many of us are gone. We essentially have free agency now with the transfer portal, and players can be legally paid now with NIL $$$. And it’s the top 1% of players taking almost all the NIL money despite the fact that they already have a great chance to make it in the pro leagues after they are done playing college sports.

i just can’t emphasize enough how big of a turn off it is. I would be totally OK if college sports died off over the next 5-10 years as more and more fans hopefully become disgusted with this highest bidder, my coach yelled at me so I’m transferring bullshit.

At least pro leagues have salary caps and rules in place to ensure parity and fair competition. College sports openly flaunts anti-competitive rules and policies and doesn’t give a damn about parity or the spirit of the game.

Highest bidder wins!

I'm with you, but things have to be equal amongst the market participants. We all know MT can't compete against Miami for how much they can pay players. So we become a minor league system for bigger programs. It's going to come down to who has the biggest donors that can pay these kids. So it's not even about a % of money the programs are generating is given to players, it's about the boosters that are willing to pay. At least if there was a relationship between the money each school generates and pays players, I could see the conferences staying more even. But it's beyond that. We all know we can't compete with payments from Alabama boosters, but what if UTEP has a big booster we don't know about that pays the payers directly and they win the conference every year. Would that make it fair?

Several of us have said it, but this really will be the death of college sports. Kids bouncing around from team to team each year. The haves and the have nots. I can already feel myself losing interest in college sports.

With us heading into Stagflation and a global recession, I don't think any of this money is all that real. Not say there won't be money, it's just the belt tightening is already happening. Unless these players really perform for the sponsors, this window of stupid money is gonna shrink. Also, the OL and DL are gonna start missing assignments if they don't get their cut.

Let’s be honest, there are guys being admitted to college who wouldn’t have qualified during my time and the Boots era. Guys these days have a boatload of “tutors” and academic support. In my day, we had one student-athlete academic advisor who helped with scheduling and his assistant who pulled class cards for us in advance do we didn’t have to stand in lines and got first choice of classes and professors.
I remember the days of pulling cards... Being a part of MBB, we had an early 1st day registration time... I walked many times with cards for others... The most was 25, if I remember correctly...

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
With us heading into Stagflation and a global recession, I don't think any of this money is all that real. Not say there won't be money, it's just the belt tightening is already happening. Unless these players really perform for the sponsors, this window of stupid money is gonna shrink. Also, the OL and DL are gonna start missing assignments if they don't get their cut.
The problem will exploded within the locker room first, as players who are getting big money not on the field playing or refusing to play because they are low on money. Next issue will be the boosters that paid 5 million for the qb will want him to start and the coaches know he is not ready, so the boosters and coaches will be going at it. That's when you will se some regulation of how NIL is done. No way a unproven kid should be getting millions

The problem will exploded within the locker room first, as players who are getting big money not on the field playing or refusing to play because they are low on money. Next issue will be the boosters that paid 5 million for the qb will want him to start and the coaches know he is not ready, so the boosters and coaches will be going at it. That's when you will se some regulation of how NIL is done. No way a unproven kid should be getting millions

My response to this is, "If someone is willing to give it to him, why not?" The market determines value, and kids are cashing in on their value. Good for them.

All this is doing is speeding up the separation between the "haves" and the "have nots". It started with big $$ TV contracts and the playoffs, and now it is NIL. The only difference is NIL $$ is going straight to the product on the field, instead of coaches and admins.

If you don't want to follow college football anymore, then don't. ESPN and the powers that be in the college football world don't care about MTSU football, or our 200 die hard fans. We don't matter because we don't move the needle. It will be the same 7-8 teams every year competing for a playoff spot. Everything else is just filler. G5 football is on life support. All we have are glorified participation trophies for when we go 7-6.

I watched less college football this past year than ever before, and I don't see it changing this year. Unpopular opinion, I know, but we are just spitting into the wind when we dump resources into our football program.

This is exactly why I see the big conferences (which does not include all the P5) splitting off. All the above disagreements between boosters, ADs, coaches, players will happen. They will say screw it, let's leave the NCAA and do our own thing and pay everyone and those schools will truly become a minor league. They will see the $ for a new playoff deal and do it. Everyone else will be left to dry.

Our only hope is what's left has some legislation or regulation to help even the field for the rest of the schools.

Also, they're already allowed to dress 105 players. Those 20 extra walk-on players are going to be getting NIL money to pay their way, and more. That's pretty much an increase in scholarships.
This.
It’s gonna take us back to the Pre-70’s before the 95 limit was put in place after the SEC (et al) would sign 120+ players to keep them from signing somewhere else, and then “cull the herds”.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT