ADVERTISEMENT

104.5 Wake Up Zone Staff Axed

blueboro007

All American
Dec 8, 2006
104.5-FM cuts Mark Howard, Kevin Ingram in major shake-up of popular morning show
Adam Sparks
Nashville Tennessean

Mark Howard and Kevin Ingram have been let go from 104.5-FM in a major shake-up of the station’s lineup, Howard confirmed Monday.

Howard and Ingram were co-hosts on "The Wake Up Zone" for the show’s entire 16-year run as one of the staples of Nashville’s morning drive-time sports talk. Most recently, they served alongside former Titans player Blaine Bishop from 6-10 a.m. each weekday.

Howard said it was his understanding that Bishop would be re-assigned to another show in a retooled lineup. Ingram declined to comment. Bishop could not be reached for comment.

3452ec7e-30cc-4d53-b8c7-4908989635a1-ingram.jpg

Multiple sources told The Tennessean that the new 104.5-FM lineup will include: Jason Martin and another host on a morning show (6-9 a.m.); "Midday 180" with its current team of Jonathan Hutton, Chad Withrow and Paul Kuharsky (9 a.m.-1 p.m.); Bishop and Mickey Ryan in an early afternoon show (1-3 p.m.); and Brent Dougherty and Dawn Davenport on "3HL" (3-6 p.m.).

Management at 104.5-FM did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“It’s been a great run. The (Wake Up Zone) show ran for 16 years with me and Kevin,” said Howard, who was employed by 104.5-FM for 21 years total. “They were some of the best years of my life. I’ve got nothing really but good things to say about my experiences there.”

Howard is also part of the Predators broadcast team. Ingram is the play-by-play announcer for Belmont basketball and various SEC Network and ESPN games. None of those roles are tied to 104.5-FM.

"The Wake Up Zone" dominated the morning drive-time ratings for years, even as the rest of the station's lineup changed. In 2017, former Titans player Frank Wycheck left the show. Bishop replaced him by moving from "3HL," another successful afternoon show.

I like both of those guys, but honestly I don't think I have listened to more than fifteen minutes total this year to any sports talk radio.

I listen to "The Wake up Zone" damn near every morning.

Sad to see Ingram and Howard being let go. They sure had a long run; I'm guessing they will bounce back.

I don't know the first thing about being a radio station PM, but if I were 102.5, I'd sure looking into landing this duo.

IIRC Mark Howard has shown himself to be a shill for "big-time" schools, not that most sports talk personalities aren't. It could be a incorrect memory (I listen to so little sport talk - especially in the morning) but I remember Howard with a casual throw-away MT put-down. POED me at the time.

IIRC Mark Howard has shown himself to be a shill for "big-time" schools, not that most sports talk personalities aren't. It could be a incorrect memory (I listen to so little sport talk - especially in the morning) but I remember Howard with a casual throw-away MT put-down. POED me at the time.
I haven't listened to there show in forever, but that does sound familiar in the program's early years.

ADVERTISEMENT